Flooding: When it rains in Los Angeles, it rains

Cobra

Flooding - Would you support this?  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mechanics and towtrucks will have a bunch of work if this is around. Towing cars that get electrically messed up and stuck in water. People with huge SUVs will also tow people out to do some good deeds. There's plenty of opportunities to roleplay around if this happens. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Syrike said:

I'm just commenting on the video shown, it just looks like they've raised the water level of the entire map what you're looking at is not localised flooding it's a state wide, severe tsunami.

Indeed it is! But this is okay because this is flooding from the sea, which only affects a few areas of the map low enough. Vespucci, Canals, Zancudo swamplands, the river beds and I think that's about it. The rest are beaches I suppose. As long as no one unrealistically increases it to too high of a point! 

Figured whether it's the sea that floods, or from the storm, any low-lying areas would flood. ?

mdr1.jpg

So I've done some looking into this and it's all done through editing the water file to a preset, meaning anytime a flood was wanted or needed the entire server would need to be restarted and everyone would need to download new client resources. I can't support this, if we were able to set a value in game then it would be another story.

On 4/10/2020 at 2:07 PM, Late said:

It would be an interesting dynamic to have a bit of an extreme event for a few hours but you will have your certain role players who will scream it will just completely ruin their whole character development because an event lasting just a couple of hours. You know who you are, the same "type" of people used to be against everything like this on LSRP too.

Events like this just ads a bit of spice.

Yeah I mean, that goes for anything I know what you mean. We didn't have snow one year at Christmas just for a few days because of it. But it did indeed snow around Los Angeles later in a few weeks (And in Las Vegas funnily enough!). But unfortunately we deal with a lot of people like this, people who are in car crashes, go into water...etc who then just refuse to RP it because their character wouldn't have been hurt. To me roleplay is all about having a constant story to play, but you're never truly in control of it and that what makes it brilliant - that's what develops it.

My real life character has been flipped upside-down by Coronavirus (as has many), and that's outta my control but that's life - it's the story, and it will affect my personal character development.

23 hours ago, Invictus said:

I like the idea of a natural disaster event.

Yeah I wanna see more kind of events that affect Los Angeles. Los Angeles gets it all, flooding, Earthquakes, many many fires...etc. but also large homelessness problems, drug problems, disease...etc. and it's good to reflect that in the game. It's a nitty gritty reality. And of course it's a City that also has the Olympics, Hollywood, Universal Studios and the beach-side paradise homes with celebrity this, actor that, former President this guy. It's one extreme to the other. 

GTA V and San Andreas does a good job of demonstrating Los Santos as this two-sided city. 

21 hours ago, Bruce002 said:

Mechanics and towtrucks will have a bunch of work if this is around. Towing cars that get electrically messed up and stuck in water. People with huge SUVs will also tow people out to do some good deeds. There's plenty of opportunities to roleplay around if this happens. 

Right! I really picked up on this after a friend mentioned it. There's loads here to do in public services and recovery as you mentioned. My FD character would be down there helping with these technical recoveries, but then my other character who lives in Vespucci and is disabled will need help because she can't get around and her car packed up! 

7 hours ago, Syrike said:

So I've done some looking into this and it's all done through editing the water file to a preset, meaning anytime a flood was wanted or needed the entire server would need to be restarted and everyone would need to download new client resources. I can't support this, if we were able to set a value in game then it would be another story.

That's disappointing. If a developer is up for it though, a little bit of experimenting might work. See what Rage is capable of.

On the other hand, if an event for flooding is pre-decided by Management and on the next restart (since there's almost daily restarts), a very small water level could be introduced prior and it could be roleplayed as having risen to that level. It really would have to be minimal though as to not 'suddenly' appear. And perhaps at quieter times of day. 

So I actually came across a situation today where this would have been totally awesome. One of my characters was sleeping in the Banham Channel when it began to rain heavily. He'd have been asleep when his 'home' would've flooded up with fast moving torrents of water. This would've made an awesome and unique roleplay scenario. 

gta-world-2020-4-17-15-22-42.png

It's a real problem in Los Angeles and California in general that homeless sleep in these often dry concrete riverbeds, washes and channels that then fill up after the slightest bit of heavy rain and are unfortunately at risk of being washed away.

la-me-homeless-el-nino-pictures-20151031

You can read more about this issue here:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/22/california-storms-rain-flooding-san-jose-homeless

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-adv-homeless-elnino-20151101-story.html

Edited by Cobra

If it is possible to raise the level of water at different parts of the map it sounds okay. We should test out what RAGE is capable of and if it's not ready for this scale of RP, we can always make a server announcement that X part of the map is getting under water or close to getting washed away.

Supporting the idea.

Edited by Moreno
  • mj2002 locked this topic