Flooding: When it rains in Los Angeles, it rains

Cobra

Flooding - Would you support this?  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

High ranking admins / management the ability to slowly raise the water levels a few feet over a period of time.

This should begin to be done over the course of a day or two during extensive periods of rain and storm in the game - especially if it's raining in real life Los Angeles. And the flooding should last a day, two or three - depending on how much rain there was. This shouldn't happen too often in GTA World, as to not ruin the experience - a handful of times a year at most.

Los Angeles

When it rains in Los Angeles, it rains. The drought has caused dryness, wildfires and areas of dry soil - so when it rains the water runs off and causes flash flooding and debris flows. Extensive rain, stormy weather and global conditions also cause sea levels to rise in places like Los Angeles when-ever there's poor conditions. 

People get stuck in their cars, they get stuck in their homes, people get washed away by the currents, people try to drive through flood water, some try to walk, power gets cut, businesses get damaged, public places are closed and even looting occurs - everyone's affected. 

170218073901-01-california-storms-0217-s

GTA San Andreas

In GTA San Andreas Multi-Theft Auto (MTA) servers we would occasionally roleplay flooding.

GTA San Andreas was simple, it had a base-level sea-level data file that was set to 0, if you put 2 it would increase the sea-level by 2. With a script the value was slowly able to increase from 0, to 1, to 2, to 3, and upwards until it reached a realistic enough amount to flood streets and properties and then it stopped (a max value). We'd never let it get too ridiculous, though. Water on the beach and around the beach homes, water in the concrete rivers and water in the freeways, but never water on Mount Chiliad. 

GTA V

I don't know if it works like this in GTA V as well as it does in San Andreas, or MTA, but I do know there are mods for it. The mods allow the users to set the parameters in a number of ways. 

Check out this mod: https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/gta-v-flood-mod

Roleplaying It

As I mentioned earlier, everyone's affected. At least, if you were to spend time in the low-level areas of the map, such as Vespucci. While we don't want to be OTT and completely ruin people's experience; a small bit of flooding should encourage people to roleplay getting injured, suffering from hypothermia, getting their car stuck or damaged, social media hype, emergency services and public utilities to respond. Like we're expected to roleplay heavy rain, we should be expected to roleplay flooding. If the water is high enough it will script-wise force people's cars to get stuck, forcing that roleplay - while pickups and high clearance vehicles wouldn't. "Take that - Sultan and Elegy drivers who refuse to RP getting stuck on Vespucci Beach!"

Ideally, I'd like to see this level of flooding and weather:

Edited by Cobra
  • Upvote 5

I believe it would benefit mostly to FD and PD because it's a form of disaster. Yet I can see problems coming through with it in civil life, I believe it would decimate server population for a while because how much can you roleplay in your home? While I'm saying yes to this, I'd like to see this implemented in a such way which would slow down daily life rather than cutting it out. People could still drive in higher areas while lower areas are left in muddy-wet ground which makes driving through it impossible yet could still be walkable.

Towing services and mechanics would be in higher demands, electricity can be cut off leading to dark roads at night, taxi services with different vehicles (such as offroaders) can be put to use, hospitals will have increased patients etc.

Support!

5 hours ago, Hanred said:

I believe it would benefit mostly to FD and PD because it's a form of disaster. Yet I can see problems coming through with it in civil life, I believe it would decimate server population for a while because how much can you roleplay in your home? While I'm saying yes to this, I'd like to see this implemented in a such way which would slow down daily life rather than cutting it out. People could still drive in higher areas while lower areas are left in muddy-wet ground which makes driving through it impossible yet could still be walkable.

Yeah so I agree with you here. I wouldn't want it to seriously affect civilian life to the point it puts people off the server completely. Like I still want to be able to do my character's 'daily shop' and visit her friends. Only a handful of streets should be flooded, and the water should be low enough for it not to cause too much disruption. I'm thinking water in the doorways of the most lowest lying properties, and in some cases up to the windows. Yes that would affect some properties and businesses but for a day or two - hopefully that then encourages them to roleplay mopping it up, claiming insurance...etc. But the majority of the city and rural areas remain unaffected. A little bit of disruption should encourage 'unexpected roleplay', as is the same when someone crashes into you or you're the victim of a kidnapping - all unplanned RP. 

2 hours ago, ibbi said:

Towing services and mechanics would be in higher demands, electricity can be cut off leading to dark roads at night, taxi services with different vehicles (such as offroaders) can be put to use, hospitals will have increased patients etc.

Support!

Right so when I first drafted up this suggestion I had images in my head of boat teams from Fire and Law Enforcement walking through the streets pulling the boats along (pictured), or driving high clearance vehicles in; with civilians trying to help each other out on their little rafts. Then I thought about vehicles and people getting stuck and needing towing and support - in FD we have a support services division who will recover and maintain our vehicles if they break, then I realised this expands to all recovery and utility services. The amount of roleplay here could be great. Towing is a feature of the game that's quite possible and quite enjoyable, and anyone can get involved. 

170221183314-san-jose-flooding-0221-exla

I wouldn't want this to be an absolutely catastrophic natural disaster - a tsunami that flattens hundreds of homes and washes away lots of people, but more like some of the more frequent flash flooding you see in places like Los Angeles.

Or recently, my local area - I didn't see people getting rescued left, right and center with homes collapsing or anything, but I did see my fair share of traffic disruption, community coming together to clear up, the odd rescue and a few emergency responses. 

AP19157680175778.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic