A military faction - hear me out

Mike.

Hi everyone,

Firstly I’d like to acknowledge that the idea of a military faction has been discussed before, and that administrators ruled out such a creation for the foreseeable future. The most recent thread I can find dates back to October 2019 but I welcome any correction to this.

I created a second character yesterday - a veteran combat helicopter pilot and rootin’ tootin’ old Texan named Milo Carrington. I immediately set about grinding some money to set myself up with the assets such a character would need and it got me thinking: why don’t we actually have a military faction of some kind? There are a great many people on the server who role play as veterans - why not add some depth to this? 

I’m not proposing we have a full-blown army which would in any way become involved with law enforcement work. I’m thinking more along the lines of troop training, drills, field work, flight training, coastguard etc. The possibilities really are endless for those with an interest in military role play. Heck, someone might even just want to RP as the base cook.

Below I’ve paraphrased some of the more popular criticisms from previous threads in the hopes of sparking a discussion.

We don’t have a large enough player base!

This was stated about six months ago and, according to Sush’s player counter, the number of active players has roughly doubled since then.

There’s no place for a military faction in an RP server!

I personally don’t understand this. People on the server role play all manner of things! Of course there are no wars to go off and fight, but it’s obvious that some legal role players enjoy working as mechanics, security guards, chefs etc. What do soldier do when they’re not deployed? My main interest lies in aviation, so who’s to say we couldn’t have Fort Zancudo air traffic control covering the San Andreas airspace?

People will get bored during their down time!

I’m a firm believer that only boring people get bored. What do military personnel do in their down time? They play sport, they go to bars (of which there are many on the server), they drive cars... you get the jist. 

I’d argue that a faction dedicated purely to legal role play, other than PD/SD/FD, would be far more beneficial to player’s enjoyment and character development than mindlessly fishing for hours on end to make money. At the same time, I wouldn’t want it to devolve into just a shooty-shooty bang-bang game of driving tanks around in convoys.

I completely understand that such a faction would need to be carefully organised and well-led by someone with relevant experience. 

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the comments!

What you're proposing serves no purpose. Every legal faction on the server serves a purpose, therefore, having a military faction on the server just for the sake of saying "I'm a soldier" is a waste of time, resources and pointless. Developer's time could be better spent perfecting some of the already existing functions and scripts which are in dire need of attention (for example the drug addiction system). If you're looking to portray an army veteran, do your research and portray your character according to his past experiences and crafts or perhaps create new ones.

Edited by MikeyMike
  • Applaud 1

Honestly, if it’s just for passive activity as you suggested I really don’t see an issue with it at all. There is a perfectly suited military facility that could provide the environment for this niche roleplay. The problem that comes with it however is that it never ever stays like this, on any server where this has been attempted. The military faction, whichever branch it might be, could start small under specific leadership. Be given the freedom with some resources to do their roleplay. Before you know it leadership changes, you get subtiel amendments to the factions purpose as it grows. It’s a slow process, could take months or even years. As time passes more and more passive activities turn into active activities. As the faction grows so does it’s attention. And I can easily foresee tensions with authorities quickly developing. Introducing a new power vector will always generate something, in this case little to no good. I’d love the idea of having something like this, I have been convinced it’s not possible however. I still have nightmares from the port authority, imagine what the actual military might do.

• Upvote 1

As someone mentioned earlier: Every major legal faction has a purpose. While Military RP was quite enjoyable in my previous RP servers it was just a short-lived faction that found itself repeatingthe same drills and training almost every day of the week. There is no place for Military RP for the same reason that there's no place for the FBI to exist (yet). There are no criminals who are comitting white collar/federal crimes at the scale of for example Cartels and LCN mobs in real life. Alteast not yet. Military RP has no place because at the most you will have a Marine Corps Reserve or NG. We can't have National Guard deploy where the server stands now because there simply is no threat big enough to warrant FBI's intervention let alone the National Guard. After a few months of starting a Military faction, even with the highest quality most sophisticated and realistic kind of RP, it will die out and people will lose interest.