Juveniles and Policing

Shekh

2 hours ago, Shekh said:

This wasnt targeted towards Sherrifs as they for some reason usually have more rp surrounding their characters. Every Sheriff i’ve RPed with usually portrays their chars way better than the PD do, not really sure why that is.

And I know i’m bias but i’d say I portray my character pretty well and provide rp for PD only to be met with single answer robotic replies as they seem to only care about the task of arresting.

Also to the dude that said it’s IC to the officers discretion, that is the very problem. There should be OOC guidlines

to help PD rp around younger characters or even rp in general as most factions have this and legal ones don’t, like why’s there guidlines on how to rp most ages, races ect, but not one about how to sucessfully rp a LEO character? Someone should make one to help eachother out as it is pretty commonly agreed their rp leaves more to be desired in most cases.

So I've sat here for a few minutes trying to understand what you want to happen from the legal factions' side of what you're "discussing" and this comment right here makes me want to just preface everything I will say below with this. If you have an issue with a group of people or even an individual, say it with your chest, be open and direct about your issues, and try to resolve them in a respectful manner. I believe you'll find that the powers that be in both law enforcement factions are always willing to listen to the community's complaints and suggestions. You're coming across as if you're just scrutinizing an entire faction's roleplay based off of a bad experience.

With that being said, people who roleplay minors on this server can be cast into two groups from my experience. There are folks who do a great job of it all the time and when you see them around, they do a pretty good job of displaying that OR there are folks that just love to do the crimes, throw the minor card the instant they're in trouble, and then complain they're being treated unfairly. 95 percent of my time on duty within the LSPD is in south central and I can't recall very many times where I've seen anyone act even remotely robotic when arresting someone down there. The times I have seen short and sweet arrests have been when there is a high security risk like being in a hostile neighborhood or when the party being arrested is just not putting much into the roleplay from their side (I understand that being arrested in game can be demoralizing, I come from an illegal roleplaying background elsewhere and have been on both sides) and they're doing their best to fast track things for everyone involved. The fact of the matter is when we (PD and SD) are arresting or dealing with someone roleplaying a minor, there is really not much that we can do other than exercise our better judgement depending on the crime being committed. There isn't a child services faction or a department of juvenile justice here, so I am confused as to what you want law enforcement to do other than what I mentioned above. We can't just look the other way on felonies and major crimes and in my opinion, there should not be a set of "OOC guidelines" on how minors are to be dealt with, if anything, there should be legislature/policy generated by the government and courts about minors and how they should be sentenced/handled. 

Personally, I don't think folks should be permitted to roleplay characters under the age of 16-18, as there is zero legislature/policy/procedure on how to handle people who roleplay minors when they commit crimes. That's just my .02 though. ?‍♂️

8 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

+

They should be banned altogether because depicting actual child violence is illegal in a lot of places and some people sexualise their underage characters.

Just disturbing ( and probably illegal IRL ) stuff that should not be allowed here. Most RP servers I've been on ( I've RPed for almost 10 years in various communities and games ) BAN or VERY HEAVILY FROWN upon underage characters. I don't know why GTAW insists on keeping them around.

Also Evading isn't a petty crime, it's a felony. 

The only example that I know of a sexualized minor was back in the BA days, when they had a minor who was a prostitute, Mia something, and during that time frame, it was done VERY well, it was RP that was genuinely disturbing to look at because it was so true to life. I am yet to see a minor like it, and there won't be, since there are now OOC rules preventing such things, pedophilia and what not.

But to get back on topic, no, banning minors is a dumb idea, no one jumps into a gang at 22, they need to be a minor to even be considered for joining in most cases. At the age of 20 and above most gang members are much further up on the food chain than a teenager, so banning minors would ruin the hierarchy of most street gangs.

As for your previous comment, unless you ERP someone who's a minor OOCly, you will be fine. ERPing a OOC minor is however illegal, and is counted as sexting.

A lot of the statements in this seem pretty broad and vague, I think it's unfair to slate two entire factions for the actions of few. i'm quite content with how SD and PD handle juveniles with the limited resources that jail currently provides. I RP a youngster myself, and also people within my faction RP younger people, and we're quite often treated accordingly when people appropriately RP their character's age and mentality around that age. From experience, if you do a decent enough job of RPing your character's age, displaying that to the handling officers, then you will likely get the outcome and RP you desire. I get why this is being suggested, but at the end of the day, it goes both ways. You can't really expect a cop or sheriff to RP differently when we have some teenage characters driving cars, shooting people with automatics, acting without an ounce of remorse, or show no fear at all when faced with long sentences. That's all something that needs to be developed in time as your character gets older, hence why I enforce strict internal faction rules on this within my own faction. In an ideal world, we could have all the separate housing in jail for juveniles, females, males, etc. but it's not feasible at this current time, so PD and SD are RPing around what they currently have. 

And no, banning minors is not the answer to solve any of this. You're essentially messing with entire concepts of gang roleplay by doing just that, I could understand having a minimum age set to like 15-16, as I do think it's weird having someone RP as a stick thin 13 year old, but their character model is a fit 6ft dude, and the age is still reasonable enough to get initiated into gangs.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Dashing said:

A lot of the statements in this seem pretty broad and vague, I think it's unfair to slate two entire factions for the actions of few. i'm quite content with how SD and PD handle juveniles with the limited resources that jail currently provides. I RP a youngster myself, and also people within my faction RP younger people, and we're quite often treated accordingly when people appropriately RP their character's age and mentality around that age. From experience, if you do a decent enough job of RPing your character's age, displaying that to the handling officers, then you will likely get the outcome and RP you desire. I get why this is being suggested, but at the end of the day, it goes both ways. You can't really expect a cop or sheriff to RP differently when we have some teenage characters driving cars, shooting people with automatics, acting without an ounce of remorse, or show no fear at all when faced with long sentences. That's all something that needs to be developed in time as your character gets older, hence why I enforce strict internal faction rules on this within my own faction. In an ideal world, we could have all the separate housing in jail for juveniles, females, males, etc. but it's not feasible at this current time, so PD and SD are RPing around what they currently have. 

And no, banning minors is not the answer to solve any of this. You're essentially messing with entire concepts of gang roleplay by doing just that, I could understand having a minimum age set to like 15-16, as I do think it's weird having someone RP as a stick thin 13 year old, but their character model is a fit 6ft dude, and the age is still reasonable enough to get initiated into gangs.

Too late Dashing;

huYvZuz.gif

• Upvote 1

People have mentioned im slating factions or faction bashing. In my experience majority of police I have dealt with have rped robotically and essentially ignored a lot of what I rp. I’m not gonna lie, that’s just my experience. I am not saying that means all PD are bad at rping with minor characters. I am however saying that the PD higher ups should consider making a set of rules or guidlines around this topic

If you rp shoplifting you get 0 financial or scriptwise gain, it could in no way be seen as pay to win. The person rping the cashier can then call police, opening more rp possibilities. But it is not then fair for 7+ officers to show up (for a teen shoplifting call) and then essentially ignore your rp/questions and respond only when talking about the arrest. Then arrest you for several hours in an adult prison even though your character is a 15 year old that shoplifted. 

This happened to me on my previous character and many people i know say similair stuff has happened to them, so it is obvious this isn’t rare. Many PD rp great around this topic and I have experienced great rp with the PD which I want to continue experiencing which is why I made the thread to hopefully see a change in how pd handle this.

There needs to be OOC guides about how PD respond to things in general. To the PD who will instantly respond to defend themselves: This isn’t an attack, it is to help those in your department who show this kind of rp. If you don’t do this then you shouldn’t worry at all and should support others to rp more like you.

Majority of replies have just been “I dont like juvenile characters” but they are essential to crime rp and a wide chubk of the playerbase rp under 18 so it is selfish you would say to ban it just because it’s difficult to rp around. 

Edited by Shekh
2 minutes ago, Shekh said:

People have mentioned im slating factions or faction bashing. In my experience majority of police I have dealt with have rped robotically and essentially ignored a lot of what I rp. I’m not gonna lie, that’s just my experience. I am not saying that means all PD are bad at rping with minor characters. I am however saying that the PD higher ups should consider making a set of rules or guidlines around this topic

If you rp shoplifting you get 0 financial or scriptwise gain, it could in no way be seen as pay to win. The person rping the cashier can then call police, opening more rp possibilities. But it is not then fair for 7+ officers to show up (for a teen shoplifting call) and then essentially ignore your rp/questions and respond only when talking about the arrest. Then arrest you for several hours in an adult prison even though your character is a 15 year old that shoplifted. 

This happened to me on my previous character and many people i know say similair stuff has happened to them, so it is obvious this isn’t rare. Many PD rp great around this topic and I have experienced great rp with the PD which I want to continue experiencing which is why I made the thread to hopefully see a change in how pd handle this.

There needs to be OOC guides about how PD respond to things in general. To the PD who will instantly respond to defend themselves: This isn’t an attack, it is to help those in your department who show this kind of rp. If you don’t do this then you shouldn’t worry at all and should support others to rp more like you.

Majority of replies have just been “I dont like juvenile characters” but they are essential to crime rp and a wide chubk of the playerbase rp under 18 so it is selfish you would say to ban it just because it’s difficult to rp around. 

So again, your double felony should've been a pat on the back? You need to be more specific because you're saying the LSPD and LSSD need to adopt ooc guidelines without actually providing any guidelines or policy suggestions.

36 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

So again, your double felony should've been a pat on the back? You need to be more specific because you're saying the LSPD and LSSD need to adopt ooc guidelines without actually providing any guidelines or policy suggestions.

Im not PD I am not informed enough to create guidelines. A guideline on how to portray a LEO character would need to be done by someone with experience.

And you are thinking robotically in this very quote. When your character sees someone shoplift they shouldn’t think “felony, catch, prison”. They should consider the age and what impacts it has on the character.

Also in what world is shoplifting a felony? Eluding police on foot is a misdemeanor, and petty theft is a misdemeanor, so why was I charged with felonies especially as a teenager. I’ve experienced this IRL and any real cop would let that slide 100%, they wouldn’t even book you unless they had to especially if it was your first offence.

Edited by Shekh
16 minutes ago, Shekh said:

Im not PD I am not informed enough to create guidelines. A guideline on how to portray a LEO character would need to be done by someone with experience.

And you are thinking robotically in this very quote. When your character sees someone shoplift they shouldn’t think “felony, catch, prison”. They should consider the age and what impacts it has on the character.

Also in what world is shoplifting a felony? Eluding police on foot is a misdemeanor, and petty theft is a misdemeanor, so why was I charged with felonies especially as a teenager. I’ve experienced this IRL and any real cop would let that slide 100%, they wouldn’t even book you unless they had to especially if it was your first offence.

You should stop thinking so one dimensionally, each and every scenario is different and how you act in those scenarios comes back to how you'll be treated. If you shoplifted and proceeded to cuss out officers and generally be an ass when they're dealing with you, it wouldn't surprise me if they did arrest you. The same if you're being chased on foot, if they have to force you to stop then through a less than lethal then by all means why should they throw you leniency? I doubt running after a teenager, forcing them to the ground through the use of a less than lethal method and then having the teenager insult you would really be a "Well, you learned your lesson kid, now scram." scenario.

Edited by Ylva
  • Applaud 1
12 minutes ago, Ylva said:

You should stop thinking so one dimensionally, each and every scenario is different and how you act in those scenarios comes back to how you'll be treated. If you shoplifted and proceeded to cuss out officers and generally be an ass when they're dealing with you, it wouldn't surprise me if they did arrest you. The same if you're being chased on foot, if they have to force you to stop then through a less than lethal then by all means why should they throw you leniency? I doubt running after a teenager, forcing them to the ground through the use of a less than lethal method and then having the teenager insult you would really be a "Well, you learned your lesson kid, now scram." scenario.

Good thing in the situation I’m talking about I stopped after running and turned myself in while the whole time being apologetic.

I’m unsure why you are against my suggestion, wouldn’t more guidelines be beneficial for PD and everyone who rps with them? Every faction has guidelines and help to rp their characters but none for PD, which is the key reason there’s these problems. 

Edited by Shekh
  • Applaud 1