Realistic Legal and Illegal RP

Copacetic

3 hours ago, Syrike said:

I'm going to chime in with my own opinion on this one, people need to remember that they're playing a character who is a gang member or a career criminal or a character who is a police officer. Some of the best dynamic RP you get is the interactions between the two.

Not the oh thats a cop, gotta kill him or oh thats a criminal let's hang around the area I'm sure they'll do something mentality that seems to be appearing of late. At the end of the day there is far too much OOC bleed going into the way people see these conflicts, if a gang member sees police patrolling the area they are less likely to go and shoot someone on the street where they'll likely be caught quickly (Still happens in some cases), they'll wait for them to become vulnerable. At the same time if a gang continues to shoot up an area more and more police will arrive, each time bringing more and more resources. (There are also cases where an officer will go out of their way to harass a group)

What needs to be done is focus on portraying better characters, they're human, they have emotions, they have fears on top of whether or not they are a criminal, civilian or law enforcement officer.

Love this

3 hours ago, Westen said:

With respect to your point about allowing illegal roleplayers room to breathe, where does that line stop? LSPD's Metropolitan Division run Crime Suppression Patrols; actively staying around Forum Drive, Brogue Avenue, Covenant Avenue, etc because it's only a matter of minutes before shots are fired.  

If a crime suppression patrol is around the corner from a shots fired, or, as happened yesterday, an officer was literally behind a car that performed a hit and the officer killed all 3 of the shooters, how do you "give them room to breathe" without it being completely unrealistic? 

Well that's the question. It's not an easy one to answer. A lot of the trouble is because of the amount of violence and crime in these areas. So cops really have no choice but to be centralized. It might help if criminal organizations spread out a little bit. It might help if police rpers didn't jump on every call with 4-5 patrol cars. I don't really know the answer. I'm just trying to put myself in the Illegal RPers shoes. I think that's something we should all do. It might help us out in the long run.

3 hours ago, Syrike said:

I'm going to chime in with my own opinion on this one, people need to remember that they're playing a character who is a gang member or a career criminal or a character who is a police officer. Some of the best dynamic RP you get is the interactions between the two.

Not the oh thats a cop, gotta kill him or oh thats a criminal let's hang around the area I'm sure they'll do something mentality that seems to be appearing of late. At the end of the day there is far too much OOC bleed going into the way people see these conflicts, if a gang member sees police patrolling the area they are less likely to go and shoot someone on the street where they'll likely be caught quickly (Still happens in some cases), they'll wait for them to become vulnerable. At the same time if a gang continues to shoot up an area more and more police will arrive, each time bringing more and more resources. (There are also cases where an officer will go out of their way to harass a group)

What needs to be done is focus on portraying better characters, they're human, they have emotions, they have fears on top of whether or not they are a criminal, civilian or law enforcement officer.

Spot on. 

Just think about your character, its environment, and its personal goals and let that dictate how you react to situations. If your character is a dickhead, take what comes with it. Don’t be quick to judge the other player who’s character might react in a way you don’t like, or were expecting.

GTA roleplay has never been to high standard in general which may rub some of you the wrong way, but it hasn't. A lot of illegal roleplay (something that I've put years into) has high standards of roleplay between their groups, but outside? Not so much. The same goes for legal too, to an extent. It's not just about roleplaying fear and all the things you're expected to do, sometimes you have to go a little above. I remember OOCly getting mocked when I roleplayed having a panic attack infront of a gang I was apart of after being chased by police. My character didn't know what to do or what to say and was scared for his life that he'd end up in prison and not be able to make money for his single mother. I was told that I was trying to be an "edgy" character lmao... I'll say this once and hopefully someone will take it in; gangsters / police are not mentally indestructible characters. It doesn't matter how much death and shootings you see in your life, it doesn't get easier. Why do you think soliders in the real world come home with severe PTSD? No character has seen enough to be fearless of anything. Anybody in the real world who appears fearless is just fronting it, something I'd understand if roleplayed correctly. Unloading out of a parked vehicle to shoot up a police officer that pulled you over just because you have a weapon in the car is so unrealistic, especially if you haven't even tried to evade first. Just because you OOCly know you'll have time to kill them and be gone before backup comes doesn't mean you wouldn't be fearful of consequences after such as CCTV recognising your car fleeing away or forensics finding evidence on you.

The same goes for a police officer patrolling on foot to talk too a gang, known for committing crimes up to the level of MURDER. It's all to do with OOCly knowing you're not at risk, why? Because it would be DM for them to kill you just for being there. There is no DM in the real world. If they wanted to shoot at you they could, and in some cases, probably would. The border needs to be broken around what you know OOCly the consequences of your actions could be compared to your IC ones and the standards of both types of roleplay would sky rocket.

Edit : Also sorry to break it to you but you're sitting behind a computer. You're not representing a real gang and you're not banging. One thing that drove me away from GTA RP over the last few years is this mindset. People uploading shootout videos OOCly mocking how many "ops" they've killed. I'd rather see videos of you being in realistic, cover based shoot outs... Maybe even missing some shots on purpose to simulate your characters adrenaline wearing off. Gangs are a fun and great concept to play out as a character, but the line becomes blurred for a lot of people. You're all ending up living a life like "YBN Nahmir", where you're deluding yourself into what you really are, someone who ROLEPLAYS on GTA. (There's no shame in that but it's far from what you're deluding yourself into)

Edited by PRESCRIPTION
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
10 hours ago, Copacetic said:

It might help if criminal organizations spread out a little bit. It might help if police rpers didn't jump on every call with 4-5 patrol cars.

If there's nothing going on and you have shots fired and people being injured why in the world wouldn't they respond with a lot of patrol cars?

• Cara locked this topic