The Sheriff's Department & You

Bospy

12 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

In the current state of the server, what is the justification for the continued existence of this faction? It was my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) that two major selling points of the sheriff's department was that they would help police the county and run the jail. Let me expand further...

1) The jail continues to rarely be staffed, a problem that plagued the faction since I first joined it about this time last year. Yes, the faction does require every member to perform a certain number of hours in the jail but its not a secret that members intentionally try to complete those hours when inmate population is low, or entirely non-existent. The faction continues to refuse the idea of assigning people to full time jail duty. There was the attempt to do this via custody assistants but my understanding is that program essentially crumbled. Now, I will say that the SD does deserve credit where its due. The jail is a de facto dumping ground for trolls who get arrested in Davis that barely meet server standards. It can be hard to try and have legitimate jail RP when its full of idiots that just want to riot every 37 seconds. What is the faction doing to try and increase activity in the jail, so serious jail RPers can have a good or unique experience when coming to the jail?

2) As for policing the county, its rare (in my experience) to find the sheriff's actually patrolling out in places like Sandy or Paleto. Similar to the jail, this was a problem even when I joined the faction last year. I've been RPing in the county more on an alt and so far I can recall no less than 6 instances where I called 911 or non-emergency to report something happening in or around Sandy Shores, and nobody from the SD arrived. It seems the Park Rangers are actually becoming the pillar of law enforcement within the rural parts of the map. I wind up seeing them more in the county than the sheriff's. Now, I will say again, credit where its due because the county doesn't have a consistent population like the city. Some days the county is dead, other days its more active than Davis. Regardless, this doesn't excuse zero police response from the faction in what is the heart of its jurisdiction. Has there ever been consideration of requiring members to patrol a certain number of hours in the county to increase visibility there? 

With these two things above being noted, what incentive is there to stop server management from totally disbanding the SD and instead converting park rangers into Blaine County Sheriff's and creating a new DOC faction? It's sad to say that likely nothing would change aside from there being a lighter police presence in Davis but LSPD would quickly pick up that slack. 

I'm not making this thread to shit on the faction. Although I'm not a member anymore, I still care about the direction the faction is going and I don't want to see it go away. These are pain points that I see which could jeopardize the legitimacy of this faction in the long term. I thought I was alone in this opinions until I recently came back to the server and started RPing as a lawyer and began hearing the OOC opinions of my clients about the SD regarding both the jail, and their overall purpose here. 

The jail is not the sole focus of the LSSD however it is a part of it. Saying SD came around to "police the county" is entirely wrong - it's no faction's goal to police anything from an OOC standpoint so you are mistaken there. The Sheriff's Department came around to provide quality police & correctional roleplay to the server, not to "police the county". As far as I'm aware, ES are doing everything they can to improve jail roleplay even to an extent where they punish other ES members for not meeting their quota. The Park Rangers have a quite different purpose on the server and making them Blaine County Sheriff's wouldn't be a great idea, their goal isn't to provide police roleplay in the county however provide park rangers based roleplay.

At the end of the day the primary play area of the server is the city and the two primary law enforcement factions should have jurisdiction over it. But please understand it's no faction's OOC goal to police anything as I believe this is where your mindset is incredibly wrong.

3 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

Thank you for addressing my questions in a well thought out and articulate way. I'm glad this faction has level headed members that can address criticism in a timely manner. This has certainly alleviated any concerns that I had.

Coming from the guy who told me to suck start a shotgun when he got removed. 

• Upvote 19
  • Applaud 3

There's no jurisdictional line to be followed, SD is allowed in the city just as much as PD and PD is allowed in the county just as much as SD. They're all relevant to one another and unilateral.

TTCF often has a lot of activity and good roleplay coming out of it.

The sheriff's department has absolutely no issue with performing their duties in the area, there's nothing wrong with it, it also makes little sense that the Sheriff's department would turn into Blaine County's when this is all Los Santos County. 

What's the issue here exactly?

Edited by radreaper100
8 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Your premise is flawed from the beginning, as it was when you were removed OOCly for not meeting the faction's standards last year. 

The LSSD has never been mandated to patrol the rural areas, that is a held over belief from lsrp that we are beholden to some random jurisdictional lines or arbitrary separation that isn't present in real life. It came from the fact that two of the sheriffs stations are in rural areas as well as ttcf so we decided to stick out there. As for TTCF, a lot has changed since your brief stint in the SD and our relationship with the illegal community is stronger than any other LEO faction specifically because of the jail and willingness to roleplay with the community at their pace both inside and out of the jail. 

As always I appreciate the feedback, but Gabe Gomez still can't grow a beard sorry buddy. 

I was "removed" because I told you in a private discord PM that your command staff can "suck start a shotgun". Don't try and portray it as anything else. That was the reason explicitly stated in the ban. I still have the screens of our entire conversation if you want me to share them.

Regardless of that though, thank you for clearing up the issue with patrolling rural areas. I was always told that the SD was created with the intent of running the jail and policing the county but it sounds like that was false information from the get-go. As for the jail, sounds like the people I'm chatting with in the jail are the exception, not the rule. I'll point their complaints to this thread going forward. I don't doubt that there's been changes so its not impossible that I'm running off dated information, coupled with the complaints I'm hearing from my clients to have a blurred perception. 

Edited by SugarDavis
9 minutes ago, Matthew said:

At the end of the day the primary play area of the server is the city and the two primary law enforcement factions should have jurisdiction over it. But please understand it's no faction's OOC goal to police anything as I believe this is where your mindset is incredibly wrong.

Sorry if I worded it wrong and it came off that way. My concern about patrolling the county was basically the lack of visible presence and 911 calls going (seemingly) unanswered in the county. I don't have too much of a concern with SD patrolling in the city. I just think its weird because I thought one of their goals was to provide law enforcement services to the underserviced/rural parts of the county. Jonesy cleared that up above and said that was not one of the original goals of the faction. So I was running off false information. It sounds like, if I'm understanding right, that the SD is meant to mirror how the SD on LSRP operated versus being something different totally in it's entirety. 

Hello. As a individual that was mainly in the criminal role-play, and having pretty bad narratives on the whole police thing, after joining the department out of a principle matter...I've come to realize that, it's not what it seems when you're on the other side. There are so many things that are going on and from what I can tell, department is doing its best to recruit more deputies to possess the necessary amount of deputies to cover the map. It ain't that simple, there's a process that we have to go through, gentlemen. And me, as somebody who never done any law enforcement role-play, it takes a minute for guys like me to get a hang of it until I'm in a spot to patrol all by myself, and there are lots of us who are doing our best to get out of the baby-shoes. 

Regarding the 911's and nobody "responding to you", you see...if you was in the SD for at least a day, you'd see how many calls we get, and frankly...I'm shocked how wild it gets for the PD & SD at the same time and after being on few patrols, I see how crazy scenes are and how heavily understaffed both departments are,..when we are getting few dozen calls in an hour. And if you know anything about law enforcement, most of the time we spend securing the scene and asking statements, we don't just show up to one scene and move on to the next one, we kind of wanna role-play as well, and not be on some weird robocop thing. We joined the department to experience a realistic law enforcement experience, and to those who never done any of that...this is a great experience...but going off bashing SD because we are busy on scene with multiple wounded or handling some perimeter. It takes times, we aren't machines or NPC's to be "there" when you expect us to be there. Only because your role-play didn't go as planned because sheriff's don't show up, don't mean its our fault. 

You do realize, in the real world...you wait sometimes up-to 45 minutes to like...1 hour to get a unit to handle the call, sometimes...they don't even show up. Which is understandable, given the fact that...a lot of stuff is going on. Not to mention, when we got wild situations with multiple shooters in South Central, multiple shot law enforcement personnel, the department gonna pull its resources to focus that hot-zone as it gotten out of hands.  It's impossible for us to handle all the 911's, it ain't that simple. Yes, we are sheriff's department...and yes, we do try to handle calls in the county, but most of the time...all the major incidences with deputy involved shooting happen in the city, and when deputy is shot...we show up to assist and we show our strength in numbers, its kind of what...what law enforcement does.

In Chicago, 4 years ago...a cop was shot and you had a convoy of at least 20 cars responding with sirens to assist, think about that...this isn't uno dos tres, shit takes time my man. 

I thought different about whole policing, but after joining it...believe me, you see things different. It's easy to sit there and judge law enforcement role-players when you do not have to go through process or anything, but we are people just like you and we wanna RP our character developments and just "Oh 911 about shooting, go go go" "Ohh another call, okay...we killed the guy, move on to the next one". You do realize we are people, right? And role-players just like anybody else...right?

My advice for those who aren't familiar with law enforcement stuff, join it...see it from our perspective and try to comment something afterwards.

You guys aren't being fair here, you're just bashing us...and get irritated when we didn't respond to /your/ call. What can I say, we got real police work to handle, and certain scenes can be up-to few hours. That's another thing I realized about law enforcement, we spend 1-2 hours...if not 3 on the crime scene alone, and if we get lucky...if it isn't a hot-zone, sergeant may release a unit or two to get back out there, otherwise...if its known hot-zone, we try to have enough man-power to secure the area. 

We got people pulling roof top Koreans on us, shooting off roof tops for no reason. We got people complaining about their death when they shot at us first...we got people complaining about us not responding to their 911's because they wanted to feel special while fishing. 

I'm just saying, there's whole a lot of stuff going on in here, see it from our perspective. Take a ride-along for all I care, and judge us afterwards.

Edited by State of Mine
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
17 minutes ago, radreaper100 said:

Sir, telling people to suck start shotguns is pretty appalling. It says a lot about personal character to insinuate that kind of thing especially when you're removed from something.

Just saying man, you gotta have some grace when things don't go your way.

There's a lot more to the story he left out of his comment but that's whatever. It's all water under the bridge for me and I don't have any issues with @Jonesy because he was nothing but respectful to me during my time in the faction. I can't say the same for his command staff (who the comment was directed at during our disagreement where that comment was made). I made my initial post because I wanted his response because I knew he would likely give the best response unlike other members of the faction who came here to troll in response to the concerns. Like I stated, even though I'm not a member of the faction anymore it doesn't change that I still care about how players of the server view the faction and want it do well. Hell, I even went to bat for them in a thread a few weeks back when someone was complaining about stuff in the jail. 

Edited by SugarDavis

You know what people can do? If they see inactive jails on their accounts, they can make a new character and join the SD and assist us with activity. It's what I did...I was heavy into criminal RP, and spend a lot of time in the county by going not-guilty, and I enjoyed every moment in that prison RP, thanks to La eMe, SD, Black Car and the whiteboys...it was great, and sure...you seen SD being a bit inactive here and there, but we realized that...those fools are people too, and not everything can be 100 percent. This isn't a job, SD don't get paid 9-5 or anything, people get on when they can... And that's one of the reasons why I joined the SD, I wanted to put my input and ummm...pay back the debt, so to speak. Somebody in SD kept it tight with us, so I joined it so I can keep it tight with the next inmates...and cycle continues, all what /people/ need to do is...give a damn once in a while. My advise, join the SD...and if you know so much and you seem to be the holy grail of it, join us and show us how.

Regarding that, other command members being "disrespectful", isn't that like...the whole point? You can't please everyone, even if you have a great and clean record, there is always gonna be that "one" commanding member that's gonna have issues with everyone, it's kind of the point in building realistic atmosphere around the department. It's whatever what happens OOC-ly, frankly...I don't even pay much attention to any ooc-chats, but whatever goes on IC-ly...even if it doesn't go my way, you just shallow your pride and attempt to figure that command member out, and see if you can convince him otherwise by doing certain tasks. 

That simple. 

1 hour ago, SugarDavis said:

With these two things above being noted, what incentive is there to stop server management from totally disbanding the SD and instead converting park rangers into Blaine County Sheriff's and creating a new DOC faction? It's sad to say that likely nothing would change aside from there being a lighter police presence in Davis but LSPD would quickly pick up that slack. 

Men_are_suffering_from_a-697e75b9a73cd72

1079b402d8f8c753c44428eff5d41161.png

341beb6ddf4ed50a24611f9dff728da6.png

(SD has historical longevity and roughly 6 times as many faction members as SAPR)

70790f6256715f2f455cc77766794da0.png

SD roleplay picturized

16b60d717f6282a63b898817c31992fb.png

Edited by Bospy
  • Upvote 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic