The Sheriff's Department & You

Bospy

That's fine, that's literally fine. 

But do you know how many calls we respond to a day in the Fire Department? The LAST thing I want to do is arrive on scene and sit idly whilst two ESD paramedics plink-plonk away at someone who genuinely doesn't want to be in that situation. They can do all the medical RP they want and I will not care, as long as they get their own ambulance and transport them - whether that be in an impromptu paramedic truck or in the back of a squad car. We have other calls to run and people will dial 911 eight times asking for us, but we can't respond because I'm watching two members of ESD take an hour on every scene. It wastes our time in the department. 

Edited by sensual
3 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Thanks for the concern, in response to the specific issue I'm alright with more advanced terms being used as long as the player understands them to the point where they can "dumb it down" for the average player as required. More advanced stuff like this is actually frequently requested by members of the community who are tired of the simple patching bullet wounds with minimal return. Our Emergency Services Detail was created by real life firefighters and paramedics and the goal of it is to make it as immersive as possible while still being accessible to the general community if they need things explained in layman's terms.

mmHg

Abbreviation for millimeters of mercury (torr).

The majority of this server are laymen, and I don't really believe the average person being patched up is going to request a term used in real life Emergency Medical Services.

While this makes us real life Paramedics and EMTs very happy when these terms are used, I can guarantee most people very much do not like having to research every third term in an emote.

My concern is these make scenes drag out for hours and hours. I have nothing against bringing advance techniques and terminology in roleplay, as long as they're used well and improve scenes. The level of CO2 expelled by our body is not much of an improvement, especifically if it takes 10 minutes to answer.

Using these terms in an emote is entirely pointless with the vast majority do not undertstand any of it. And I'm sorry, the vast majority do not. Real life paramedics? Sure, it's our jobs. But it's not the job for the majority of the server.

Using these details in dialogue is a valid and excellent usage of terms in roleplay, bringing advance techniques such as RSI's is an exciting level of roleplay due to the fact it can bring much needed excitement. RSIing a victim can potientially kill them in the process, this has to be appropriately given to the patient by roleplaying the /emotion/ and feeling behind a technique. The robotic usage of these terms and the over-robotic emotion of these emotes causes players to not care, and feel nothing when a tube is shoved down their throat.

This is just a technique after years of EMS roleplay. This level of detail in emotes does not improve EMS roleplay.
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2

I investigated this, the player and the deputy were waiting an extended amount of time due to FD not having the resources to respond themselves in a timely manner. The player was going more in depth for the benefit of them instead of patching the bullet hole with some sub-par RP. SD will continue this type of roleplay for the benefit of everyone involved, but if a player is confused or does not like this type of RP they will either dumb it down or simplify it for the benefit of the player. If the player being administered medical attention ICly has a concern, please tell him to PM me. I'll consult with SEB Command (one of whom happens the LSFD faction leader) if he has any issues with this, but the LSSD will continue to offer the most in depth, realistic experience possible whether this is in LEO roleplay or medical RP. 

• Upvote 7

Valid.

As long as this is more of an exception then a blanket rule. We’re roleplaying versus pure simulation, and I hope thats understood in the training.

You shouldn’t NEED to be a Paramedic/EMT/Firefighter or a Medical student in order to roleplay in this field of roleplay, and this is always a major concern. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

8 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

Valid.

As long as this is more of an exception then a blanket rule. We’re roleplaying versus pure simulation, and I hope thats understood in the training.

You shouldn’t NEED to be a Paramedic/EMT/Firefighter or a Medical student in order to roleplay in this field of roleplay, and this is always a major concern. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

That is soo true, people are drawn away from medical roleplay due to the extensive knowledge needed to get the position. You literally learn what you would in medical school. Back when I was in my golden years of RP, I was part of the FD on another server and from all of that knowledge I had literally a book printed out of medical procedures and terms/protocols that I would use in the roleplay. Generally I feel that medical roleplay should be simple and to the point to encourage more players joining the FD and also to take up less time in roleplaying scenes so they can respond to other requests.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, sensual said:

someone who genuinely doesn't want to be in that situation.

This player in question did not have any complaints about how the ESD roleplayed this. This is a false allegation.

I have spoken with Sean Roberts about this too, he has stated he's actually had people compliment his roleplay and commended it afterwards.

• Upvote 2

I would like to say, since we're on the topic of medRP.

As a member of PHMC, I love the ESD. Their quality is absolutely above and beyond anything I would expect or ask for of their members, I've submitted commendation letters in character to those I think have really earned it and those who have shown exceptional dedication to the craft; and honestly I cannot find a flaw in anything they've done.

Their radio communications to us at PHMC are by far the best quality of any faction, including FD and the handovers are as good as I could ask for. I just wanna take this time to congratulate the leads of ESD and it's members for the incredible quality provided and their dedication.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2
On 6/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, Rasta said:

That is soo true, people are drawn away from medical roleplay due to the extensive knowledge needed to get the position. You literally learn what you would in medical school. Back when I was in my golden years of RP, I was part of the FD on another server and from all of that knowledge I had literally a book printed out of medical procedures and terms/protocols that I would use in the roleplay. Generally I feel that medical roleplay should be simple and to the point to encourage more players joining the FD and also to take up less time in roleplaying scenes so they can respond to other requests.

Agreed myself.

Lowering the bar when it comes to being able to engage in medical roleplay doesn't have to come at the cost of a worse roleplay quality. If anything, you can very easily change the application process to focus on what is actually expected of FD players to participate in & their RP quality VS giving them hours worth of jargon & material they’re just about never going to use.

The application process for FD should be made easier, with the process focusing more on an individuals roleplay capabilities over their OOC medical knowledge.

In the current state of the server, what is the justification for the continued existence of this faction? It was my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) that two major selling points of the sheriff's department was that they would help police the county and run the jail. Let me expand further...

1) The jail continues to rarely be staffed, a problem that plagued the faction since I first joined it about this time last year. Yes, the faction does require every member to perform a certain number of hours in the jail but its not a secret that members intentionally try to complete those hours when inmate population is low, or entirely non-existent. The faction continues to refuse the idea of assigning people to full time jail duty. There was the attempt to do this via custody assistants but my understanding is that program essentially crumbled. Now, I will say that the SD does deserve credit where its due. The jail is a de facto dumping ground for trolls who get arrested in Davis that barely meet server standards. It can be hard to try and have legitimate jail RP when its full of idiots that just want to riot every 37 seconds. What is the faction doing to try and increase activity in the jail, so serious jail RPers can have a good or unique experience when coming to the jail?

2) As for policing the county, its rare (in my experience) to find the sheriff's actually patrolling out in places like Sandy or Paleto. Similar to the jail, this was a problem even when I joined the faction last year. I've been RPing in the county more on an alt and so far I can recall no less than 6 instances where I called 911 or non-emergency to report something happening in or around Sandy Shores, and nobody from the SD arrived. It seems the Park Rangers are actually becoming the pillar of law enforcement within the rural parts of the map. I wind up seeing them more in the county than the sheriff's. Now, I will say again, credit where its due because the county doesn't have a consistent population like the city. Some days the county is dead, other days its more active than Davis. Regardless, this doesn't excuse zero police response from the faction in what is the heart of its jurisdiction. Has there ever been consideration of requiring members to patrol a certain number of hours in the county to increase visibility there? 

With these two things above being noted, what incentive is there to stop server management from totally disbanding the SD and instead converting park rangers into Blaine County Sheriff's and creating a new DOC faction? It's sad to say that likely nothing would change aside from there being a lighter police presence in Davis but LSPD would quickly pick up that slack. 

I'm not making this thread to shit on the faction. Although I'm not a member anymore, I still care about the direction the faction is going and I don't want to see it go away. These are pain points that I see which could jeopardize the legitimacy of this faction in the long term. I thought I was alone in this opinions until I recently came back to the server and started RPing as a lawyer and began hearing the OOC opinions of my clients about the SD regarding both the jail, and their overall purpose here. 

Your premise is flawed from the beginning, as it was when you were removed OOCly for not meeting the faction's standards last year. 

The LSSD has never been mandated to patrol the rural areas, that is a held over belief from lsrp that we are beholden to some random jurisdictional lines or arbitrary separation that isn't present in real life. It came from the fact that two of the sheriffs stations are in rural areas as well as ttcf so we decided to stick out there. As for TTCF, a lot has changed since your brief stint in the SD and our relationship with the illegal community is stronger than any other LEO faction specifically because of the jail and willingness to roleplay with the community at their pace both inside and out of the jail. 

As always I appreciate the feedback, but Gabe Gomez still can't grow a beard sorry buddy. 

• Upvote 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Applaud 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic