The Sheriff's Department & You

Bospy

Coming as someone who dealt the juvenile "this is MY sand castle" politics on LSRP, it is genuinely a breath of fresh air to see how different it is here. Anyone who suggests the LSSD be confined to the "County" (which is a disingenuous term in itself; the county includes rural and urban areas) have a very limited concept of how local government works in the United States and probably have no business making impactful decisions involving those concepts. 

• Upvote 2

I find it ironic how people cry "bad portrayal" when they feel they're oppressed by shady law enforcement tactics, not realizing that's exactly how you SHOULD feel when in conflict with police, especially against departments that emulate both the LAPD/SD. Despite your urge to win OOC you're never gonna win against the cops IRL.

Any other year before 2020 I could maybe understand not knowing or seeing the horrendous shit police might pull but we've basically had an entire year's worth of footage you can easily find by googling anything George Floyd related.

I posted it before but I'll post it again just in case it was missed...

https://2020policebrutality.netlify.app/

Filter by California - you'll have an entire list of videos and incidents, the times they happened and where.

On 1/31/2021 at 12:48 PM, Nikki said:

One protestor breached the perimeter. He was quickly down; receiving multiple kicks into the stomach after already being neutralized as a threat.

Much more accurate video regarding this point, the actual LASD taking part in this:

(once again more shocking footage, watch at your own risk.)

• Upvote 1

To @Nikki mostly. The LSSD is run by people that have done their damnedest to accurately portray the LASD while still maintaining creative freedom. These people have done extensive research into the matter, and I daresay they know more about it than the average player on the server. So just trust the leadership when they say they know what they are talking about. 

• Upvote 2
On 1/31/2021 at 5:25 AM, Bauer said:

Taping badges at a protest seems sort of poor on an IC and OOC level. Nobody does that at a protest with people recording your every move IRL. Also throwing someone into the water, that’s... odd. If that happened at an LA protest there would be hell to pay for the involved officers. This is either a genuine lack of care for the public and what happens to their job on an IC level, or very poor fear rp of loosing their job. Not bashing, just outlining some stuff.

Sadly I wasn’t at the protest so I can’t confirm if the last part is true or not. If anyone has any evidence to prove it didn’t happen feel free to PM me.

As for beating people up and mental abuse, yeah that happens.

????

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a-county-deputies-will-be-allowed-to-conceal-their-names-during-protests-sheriff-says/
image0.png

Props to SD for their portrayal during these events. I was on the receiving end of a lot worse over the summer, if you think the way they acted crossed an OOC line I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but you have a pretty sheltered view of American Law Enforcement. Not only were their actions realistic for any police department in America, I'd say it's only a drop in the bucket compared to how actually corrupt and abusive the LASD is known to be in real life. I don't say that lightly either, I'm really really skeptical of any protest/riot RP because when it unfolded this summer in Davis it divulged into somewhat of a cringe parody of the events I actually experience. My bar for this shit is high, and LSSD surpassed it tenfold.

• Upvote 4
4 hours ago, Nikki said:

I got the thing about LSSD being bored when stuck to the county directly from the LSSD's statement. I am not making stuff up here. And hey, I understand the reasoning behind it, but that does not mean I agree with it. Its an unfortunate situation nevertheless as realism is a bit neglected with this. But for the sake of roleplay, it is neccesary. But, I don't agree with it. And thats fine, you know.

And I completely agree with the reasoning behind the overlapping operational areas. I just dont agree with the operational areas themselves, but its what I'd call a neccesary evil.

Great explanation though! 🙂 Maybe it helps clear the minds of others too a bit.

It's not an unfortunate situation at all and realism over jurisdictions is not neglected. This is how the SD operates in real life, so I'm not sure where you heard otherwise. My cousin works at the Broward County Sheriff's office in South Florida and their jurisdiction spans the entirety of Broward County. See here: https://www.sheriff.org/LE/Pages/BSO-jurisdiction.aspx

They are not confined to rural, outside city limit county areas. It has never been that way, nor will it ever be that way. They certainly can patrol within city limits and assist local law enforcement agencies. Nothing wrong with how LSSD is doing it now. Even the LASD has jurisdiction within city limits in LA county. I'm not sure where you got the impression otherwise, but I'm sorry to say that your information was wrong. See here: https://www.lasd.org/about_us.html

Edited by Sixty
9 hours ago, ThomasNoman said:

It's a good faction and all, and both my characters and I, OOCly love the faction, but there's one thing Los Santos County Sheriff Department needs to patrol only in Los Santos County. And Blaine County Sheriff's Office should be in charge of policing in Blaine County since it's a completely different counties, Los Santos County and Blaine County.

Who's gonna run it?

7 hours ago, Nikki said:

I got the thing about LSSD being bored when stuck to the county directly from the LSSD's statement. I am not making stuff up here. And hey, I understand the reasoning behind it, but that does not mean I agree with it. Its an unfortunate situation nevertheless as realism is a bit neglected with this. But for the sake of roleplay, it is neccesary. But, I don't agree with it. And thats fine, you know.

You may not agree with it but this is accurate to continuity and we are abiding by our mandate as set by legal faction management.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic