The Sheriff's Department & You

Bospy

I was on Sandy's protests and I was one of the first people to ‚‚trespass'' and get cuffed for it. My character was treated with dignity and shortly after released without much issue. Why?
Probably because I wasn't rping autistic 17yr old student wannabe Simon Bolivar and wasn't wearing my LARP costume I got off wish.com.
YOUR IC actions have IC consequences. The moment protest turned to riot you should've honestly left. LSSD had more important things than to keep track of who was violent and who was non violent on a rally that turned violent. When first scuffles broke out every sane person (if this was IRL) would probably distance themselves, however, we had quite a different case here and now you complain because of it? damn...

Edited by DjoleK
  • Upvote 6

I mean, as someone whose seen their fair share of the footage that's come out of the last year - pretty much everything that went down was realistic. The second it's declared a riot, the cops are free to utilize whatever force is deemed acceptable. Cops have been using LRAD, bear, mace, pepperballs, beanbags, etc, etc - on far, far less volatile protests than the G6 ones IRL. SD's reaction has spurred RP in how heavyhanded it was, /because that is how cops react to protests in America./ 

And I like that. It's realistic, and more importantly, was fun and entertaining. It's spurred RP, and development for those involved.

11 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

So you are going to tell me that what multiple people claim happened IC where they were manhandled, cuffed, tossed in a van with 0 light, shouted at "I'll crush your skull if you won't stop talking" by a deputy, lining people like its a firing squad and leaving them in the desert to walk home is proper protocol for a peace officer?

I do not think so, that's police brutality, and lets be honest, more than just one person claims that. I do not believe those people who claim what they've said is true IC, but lets be honest, this is not the first incident I hear where SD treats civilians as if they're the enemy. Moreover SD is yet to publicly come up with an IC statement, since when people start raising accusations you'd actually want to clear things up, instead of letting misinformation spread.

Prime example? A few months back, around October/November, my friend IC who lived at the time in a Trailer in the county, catches a THIEF attempting to break into his property. My friend who posses PF, CCW & GC aims the gun at thief, dials 911. SD arrive, they detain my friend & mistreat him moreover threaten him with a Beating while they let the thief go as if the thief done nothing wrong when there was clear signs of tempering with the trailer lock.

You can not say it's not corrupt to do what has happened. If you as admins do not enforce rules you placed in play that a member breaks the server rules especially Corruption Rule that are OOC and is not handled? That's bad, there is a reason why members are told about those corruption rules. Mistreating civilians, threatening civilians, forcing injury on civilians is worse than looking the other way when it's Weed way worse.

The fact that the entire faction is yet to come out with a proper statement IC to clear things up is the reason there's a whole movement to defund SASD and more.

I still fail to see how anything in this comment is an OOC issue. Check a page back for the comment with the videos. It's literally happening in real life. You don't wanna get shot with beanbags and arrested? Don't go to a riot lol

1 minute ago, Lemon said:

I still fail to see how anything in this comment is an OOC issue. Check a page back for the comment with the videos. It's literally happening in real life. You don't wanna get shot with beanbags and arrested? Don't go to a riot lol

It is not the being shot, arrested, but the fact they were dumped at middle of nowhere..

13 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

So you are going to tell me that what multiple people claim happened IC where they were manhandled, cuffed, tossed in a van with 0 light, shouted at "I'll crush your skull if you won't stop talking" by a deputy, lining people like its a firing squad and leaving them in the desert to walk home is proper protocol for a peace officer?

I do not think so, that's police brutality, and lets be honest, more than just one person claims that. I do not believe those people who claim what they've said is true IC, but lets be honest, this is not the first incident I hear where SD treats civilians as if they're the enemy. Moreover SD is yet to publicly come up with an IC statement, since when people start raising accusations you'd actually want to clear things up, instead of letting misinformation spread.

Prime example? A few months back, around October/November, my friend IC who lived at the time in a Trailer in the county, catches a THIEF attempting to break into his property. My friend who posses PF, CCW & GC aims the gun at thief, dials 911. SD arrive, they detain my friend & mistreat him moreover threaten him with a Beating while they let the thief go as if the thief done nothing wrong when there was clear signs of tempering with the trailer lock.

You can not say it's not corrupt to do what has happened. If you as admins do not enforce rules you placed in play that a member breaks the server rules especially Corruption Rule that are OOC and is not handled? That's bad, there is a reason why members are told about those corruption rules. Mistreating civilians, threatening civilians, forcing injury on civilians is worse than looking the other way when it's Weed way worse.

The fact that the entire faction is yet to come out with a proper statement IC to clear things up is the reason there's a whole movement to defund SASD and more.

There is a difference between 'proper protocol' and what happened at this incident. No one is saying the faction's policy outlines: beat up kids.

As for the fact you have not seen a statement, go look for it IC, it is out there.

As someone said before me though, you're just addressing a bunch of points that are valid IC issues with no place in an OOC discussion. There is no need to take all of this OOC.

5 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

You need to deal with your very obviously in character complaint about "proper protocol for a peace officer" in character. It is very funny to me that the people who are willing to write reams and reams of criticism suddenly lose the willpower when they're asked to report it in character. You're telling the LSSD to respond to complaints that you haven't even made in character - Internal Affairs haven't been notified of anything. 

There is a not insignificant issue on this server with some people being completely incapable of differentiating between what happens in character and out of character. Not everybody's characters are lame self-insert avatars who share all the same values as their players - the sooner you realise this, the less frustration you'll feel towards the players of characters who happen to inconvenience your own. 

2 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

It is not the being shot, arrested, but the fact they were dumped at middle of nowhere..

probably because they where shouting 'fuck SD', throwing bricks at Deputies, and overall being nuisances? Just because you're a law enforcement character it doesn't mean you can't get angry over something and go out of protocol. You're dealing with characters, not a law protecting hivemind.

20 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Hi there, I thank you for the feedback! Unfortunately I feel you're confusing some IC animosity with the community and taking it as personal OOC offense. That being said, I'll gladly speak to your points. 

As for the van thing, these were people that rushed the perimeter. They were detained in a van in the midst of a violent protest that for political reasons, the LSSD ICly refers to as a riot, (stones being thrown, etc). As the incident died out, the decision was made to remove these people from the situation as them being at the location seemed to be a distraction and cause for agitation (shouting to free that one dude). They were left at the Vinewood Bowl (A. Not in the desert, B. within LS city limits) and told to call a cab or a friend. I was there, there was no "firing squad". They were lined up, uncuffed, and told how to get home. What you are taking OOC are the IC rumors started to discredit the Sheriff's Department, something that the rest of the community is using to drive great anti-LEO roleplay that both us and the community have been enjoying.

As for the lack of response, radio silence is something that's often used by public agencies who try to make the "whole thing just blow over". If this causes more IC issues with the Sheriff's Department, then by all means it was a bad in character decision. The Sheriff's Department's goal is to emulate a realistic Department made up of real characters, not a uniform blob that moves as it's told to without question. Corruption is not openly encouraged, but it's regulated and permitted to an extent not seen before on GTA:W or its equivalents as long as it's within reason. Especially within the jail or riotous settings (I highly encourage you to look into some of the documentaries into Deputy Gangs and how the real life LA County Jails are essentially hell on earth, can start here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WItdyRkpP-4&t=125s). 

As for your concern about us breaking the rules. We are very harsh with members who break the server's rules, often players are suspended/demoted and get a single second chance. In the event that the rule broken entails a something like a play-to-win mentality or ruining the roleplay experience of another player through abuse of power, which are deadly sins in the LSSD, they may not get a second chance. But when it comes to corruption, many members of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department have extensive permissions based on a scale that has been reviewed and approved by server management. This corruption is meant to bring a unique aspect of roleplay to the server, and the truth is that the vast majority of the server enjoys it, even when they're at the butt end of a beating or threat.

And to reply to your last comment about the defund "SASD" (?), that's an IC movement that we have full intention on interacting with. The majority of people within that IC movement have been in contact with our members and we're all having a good laugh about it, I sincerely you look at the big picture and realize that on a roleplay server, even "bad" roleplay can be enjoyable if you let it. 🙂

Edited by Jonesy
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic