Chat anims

Lemon

Not supported by me.

Personally I gesticulate very poorly when I speak and to be honest when I see someone who waves their hands like crazy its a bit strange for me. As far as I remember we have animations for gesticulating, you can use them if it brings anything to your experience. From my perspective, if you keep the conversation interesting enough then you will not care about these little things. 

To match everybody's expectations and make a system that is not annoying for people like me, you either need to make this feature toggleable or create 5-10 versions of character gesticulations. Creating the animations, coding them, making them sync... far too much work for such a small detail in my point of view. 

55 minutes ago, liafriuli said:

Not supported by me.

Personally I gesticulate very poorly when I speak and to be honest when I see someone who waves their hands like crazy its a bit strange for me. As far as I remember we have animations for gesticulating, you can use them if it brings anything to your experience. From my perspective, if you keep the conversation interesting enough then you will not care about these little things. 

To match everybody's expectations and make a system that is not annoying for people like me, you either need to make this feature toggleable or create 5-10 versions of character gesticulations. Creating the animations, coding them, making them sync... far too much work for such a small detail in my point of view. 

afaik we've had this feature before, with different sets of rather tame animations so it shouldn't be too difficult. the /anim system is rather cumbersome to use, while being occupied with typing up emotes and speech. i don't think it's about matching everyone's expectations, but rather that of the majority, making it toggable however, seems like a solid compromise. 

Updated the main post to include a tog option. A lot of people saying 'I don't move my arms when I talk in real life' — well, in real life you don't just stand there like a mannequin in a clothing store when you talk either. If you do, you're one of a kind. We can't mimic real life here, but this just adds a bit of spice and life to the scene rather than just standing still. 

Make it toggable and this should be of no issue to those who don't like the idea. It's not forcing anything on anyone.

• Upvote 2

I heavily support this suggestion, as it is the first thing I've noticed in regards to immersion since joining the server. It feels really blank when everyone's standing still, especially in higher populated locales. I agree that not everybody uses hand gestures when speaking in real life but this is a game we're talking about a video game here and it's limited how immersive it can be. A toggle sounds fine for those who don't want to use it, I don't see what those players have to lose.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:05 PM, Five-oh said:

probably one of the most important (missing) features for me. i think with GTA V's engine we're pretty close to an uncanny valley feeling, with how realistic the graphics are. it's especially apparent imo, when a group stands together and everybody's talking, but the scene remains entirely static/stagnant. it just looks so off to me. 

also: it would be p. neat if characters would open & close their mouths accordingly when they chat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • mj2002 locked this topic