Timecycle poll

Nervous

7 minutes ago, xRandomGuy said:

Okay so say we decide it's logical to have the sun setting twice a day, what time would I schedule it to?

If it's posted on the forums or some other OOC avenue:

BIG EVENT

Come down to the club for the big event on the evening of Sunday the 22nd!

((8pm gmt, b there or b square lol))

Easy enough. And if you're announcing something ingame:

[AD] Come down to the club for the big event, opening tomorrow at 8pm!

I see this ad and I type /time, I see that it's 9pm and I know that the club is opening on the next day at 8pm game time. Simple as that.

edit: clarified with a date removal on the ingame ad

Edited by skink
7 minutes ago, xRandomGuy said:

Okay so say we decide it's logical to have the sun setting twice a day, what time would I schedule it to?

Like Nervous said at the begining of the thread it would be: 

The timecycle would always be based on a night time around 22pm-2am CET to keep the "club/bar" roleplay at these hours.

Please comment "1:1" or "2:1" etc..                   

That's peak time of the server filled with EU players so you guys will still be fine. 

4 minutes ago, James Mustaine said:

No just say that hey we'll meet at 2 PM EU time and then people are on at that time if they want to be. Cycle 1 and 2 don't even come into that equation. 

4 minutes ago, skink said:

If it's posted on the forums or some other OOC avenue:

BIG EVENT

Come down to the club for the big event on the evening of Sunday the 22nd!

((8pm gmt, b there or b square lol))

Easy enough. And if you're announcing something ingame:

[AD] Come down to the club for the big event, opening tomorrow, the 22nd, at 8pm!

I see this ad and I type /time, I see that it's 9pm and I know that the club is opening on the next day at 8pm game time. Simple as that.

Again, I'm not going to tell someone in-game, in-character, "meet me at 8PM EU time".
As for your (skink) "solution" to just say it's 8pm, 8pm servertime (i.e /time in-game, IC time) is going to happen twice on the 22nd of the month, so how do you point out which one IC'ly? And it's going to have to happen twice otherwise the time would not match the environment and you would have the sun setting at noon.

I just personally see too many issues with this. I also don't see where you are coming from with that "the community does not give a single shit about north americans", when have you ever played on a server where time was not based on 1;1? I know I haven't and I didn't start playing yesterday. It's also logical for the server to be set on the european timezone rather than the american because most players are from that region so it's logical to go with the majority of the community.

1 minute ago, xRandomGuy said:

Again, I'm not going to tell someone in-game, in-character, "meet me at 8PM EU time".
As for your (skink) "solution" to just say it's 8pm, 8pm servertime (i.e /time in-game, IC time) is going to happen twice on the 22nd of the month, so how do you point out which one IC'ly? And it's going to have to happen twice otherwise the time would not match the environment and you would have the sun setting at noon.

I just personally see too many issues with this. I also don't see where you are coming from with that "the community does not give a single shit about north americans", when have you ever played on a server where time was not based on 1;1? I know I haven't and I didn't start playing yesterday. It's also logical for the server to be set on the european timezone rather than the american because most players are from that region so it's logical to go with the majority of the community.

Yea the point is you don't say it ICly that you'll meet at 8 PM EU time, you say it in /b. ICly you say meet you in a few hours or hey meet me in the afternoon. Is your opinion that we should not change the timezone AND not change the time-cycle? 

3 minutes ago, xRandomGuy said:

I already edited the post to clarify it by removing the date of the 22nd, I only put that there because I'd typed it once already and flubbed it. Not a problem if you're not making an example and messing it up a little like I did. Besides which, 'which one' has already been pointed out OOCly. How often do you actually run into a situation where saying a date in character is absolutely crucial, lest it ruins the RP? Like hot damn, four extra seconds of effort to clarify the date in local OOC.

Edited by skink

People overthink the time way too much. If nothing else, just do GMT -2 or -3 for the servertime. That is a compromise. The people that were against that only had the argument of "I like things the way they are because that suits me." It's not a huge change and it boosts the chances of playing in each time of day for everyone. I honestly couldn't care less about the OOC servertime being the same or not. I just want the time shown to be varied. It's also probably possible to change how the weather/daylight looks IG anyways. Even if the time itself is changed the timesync shown can be based on winter. It can get dark earlier in the day.