Allowing players to break into car via brute force.

Mecovy

Short description: Using items like hammers to break into cars

Detailed description: 

Currently I believe the system stands that you need a lockpick and a lockpick only to break into a car, even if you were RPing a sledge hammer or crowbar, the only way to get in is a script lockpick. 

My issue is IRL lock picking is a very hard to come by skill, hardly anyone knows it, especially not the average car robber you see. The current system is for balance, however I feel like it balances to a stage where it disturbs realism. I'm proposing that we shift the system similar to house robberies, if you properly RP breaking into a car, you should be able to type a command to request approval for the robbery, just by writing down what you did, and what type of car it is.

Not sure what people would think of this, but I feel like it will expand the car robbery scene, without creating a scenario of car robberies or breakin's sky rocketing. 

Commands to add: /vBreakin  expanded

Items to add:N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? By improving the big key word, Realism. Explained above really.

Additional information: Tl;Dr make lockpicks the sneaky approach, with a small risk of alerting the alarm in exchange for making picks rarer. Allow smashing of windows, with a hammer at a 100% chance of success, with a 100% chance of setting any alarm off. Maybe a fist being a 50% chance of working, but also 100% of triggering the alarm. Means there's a dynamic to car robberies. 

Edited by Mecovy
  • Upvote 4
3 hours ago, Westen said:

It'd be interesting if vehicle windows were actually synced. So when you see someone driving around with a smashed window you go hmmm, but as it stands you see a smashed window and go, huh, lag.

That won't work at all. I believe sync gets worse as you speed up in a car. A lot of times while being a passenger in a vehicle I saw the car getting smashed to pieces because of the desync, even though it wasn't.

Anyways I totally agree with this suggestion, most thieves don't know how to lock pick plus it's not that practical, not even IRL burglars use lockpicks, they just bust your window.

There is another thing regarding hot-wiring. Most modern vehicles are basically impossible to hot-wire because of the chip in the key fob. 

5 hours ago, Mecovy said:

My issue is IRL lock picking is a very hard to come by skill, hardly anyone knows it, especially not the average car robber you see.

While the other methods of breaking into cars are indeed more common, learning how to lock pick is pretty easy to come by. A complete starter set with practice lock costs somewhere about $30 bucks, and I picked it up within 10 minutes of looking up a youtube video. So I disagree with your arguement.

If you're going to adjust the carstealing system, revamp it entirely. Simply adding a brute force option and then "fumbeling" around with wires is something from 80's movies and barely usable nowadays.

1 hour ago, Mythology said:

While the other methods of breaking into cars are indeed more common, learning how to lock pick is pretty easy to come by. A complete starter set with practice lock costs somewhere about $30 bucks, and I picked it up within 10 minutes of looking up a youtube video. So I disagree with your arguement.

If you're going to adjust the carstealing system, revamp it entirely. Simply adding a brute force option and then "fumbeling" around with wires is something from 80's movies and barely usable nowadays.

That is one type of lock. All locks are different with varying difficulties. For better locks, a simple lock pick wouldn't work. Check out LockPickingLawyer on youtube.

• mj2002 locked this topic