Have tow truck drivers take cars to the impound lot instead of PD

Trupiano

Short description: Right now tow trucks serve little to no purpose, besides pulling the occasional vehicle out of a ditch. To promote RP between tow truck drivers and the rest of the community have the tow truck drivers take vehicles to the impound lot instead of PD.
 Detailed description: N/A

Commands to add: Unknown

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? Allow PD and SD to focus on their job instead of taking care of impounded vehicles, creates more RP for tow truck drivers and encourages garages to operate a tow truck.

Additional information: N/A

• Applaud 1

I'd rather have a contracted company that works with the agencies than having random mechanics. If we (LSPD or LSSD) impound a vehicle, we're responsible for the vehicle, so any damages or losses are under our responsibility. Having a random mechanic tow a vehicle and potentially wreck the vehicle will cause a lot of problems.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Tseard said:

I'd rather have a contracted company that works with the agencies than having random mechanics. If we (LSPD or LSSD) impound a vehicle, we're responsible for the vehicle, so any damages or losses are under our responsibility. Having a random mechanic tow a vehicle and potentially wreck the vehicle will cause a lot of problems.

• 2 months later...

Going to go ahead and resurrect this suggestion as I feel this is one of the key things missing from the server right now.

I think PD/SD/FD should have access to a command that marks a vehicle for impound, allowing mechanics in tow trucks to impound the vehicle. As for how to manage who comes to impound, then that'll be up to faction leaders to negotiate a contract with a towing company, setting up a specific radio channel to call their respective impounders to the target vehicle. If we ever get City Services set-up then there could be two options, either call up a garage/towing company or call for city services over departmental. 

This system would allow business owners to invest in tow trucks and compete for contracts with legal factions. 

(Also, we need flatbed tow truck mods.)

Edited by Supra.
18 hours ago, Supra. said:

Going to go ahead and resurrect this suggestion as I feel this is one of the key things missing from the server right now.

I think PD/SD/FD should have access to a command that marks a vehicle for impound, allowing mechanics in tow trucks to impound the vehicle. As for how to manage who comes to impound, then that'll be up to faction leaders to negotiate a contract with a towing company, setting up a specific radio channel to call their respective impounders to the target vehicle. If we ever get City Services set-up then there could be two options, either call up a garage/towing company or call for city services over departmental. 

This system would allow business owners to invest in tow trucks and compete for contracts with legal factions. 

(Also, we need flatbed tow truck mods.)

Not sure what you mean by setting up City Services, but we have a functioning city government.

Contract should be done via the e-procurement system that we already have, gov can just add a new contract for towing services.

• Upvote 1

Great suggestion along with other posts; being that it should be a contracted company that does the towing for PD/SD. Many issues can come up if random towtrucks want to tow for LEO, such as stealing them and scrapping. Issues I can see coming are lack of activity. Impound's don't happen very often, and as far as I see, there is not much use for towtrucks as damage isn't really a thing. Maybe when Rage updates sync of damage, the towtruck business can start booming and this can be implemented. Another idea that's similar could be a Mechanic role affiliated with the PD/SD/EMS that roleplays maintenance on the vehicles regularly and handles towing when needed.

Or at least let some of the mechanics take a course and join part time with the PD's civilian division to take care of those towing problems. 

BIG plus.

Makes no sense for some PD characters to be driving around in a tow truck. It kills immersion. 

Good thing is that it  fits the mechanical roleplay for whoever is interested in it.

Edited by A_Acko

I think it all comes down to the community and their willingness. Having random people who do this is not going to be working and it will only cause headaches and legal problems. As @LochnessMonsterr mentioned, vehicles and items can get stolen or damaged. I don't trust this to be given to new players who just join the server, way too much potential for abuse.

I'd rather have it that either the current garages are being approached by the government or they approach the government and get a contract started. This can all be done IC by either the two. At the end, we can't force people to do this job, this has to be done with people who are motivated to get this task.

• mj2002 locked this topic