Medical Roleplay / Hospital / Private Clinic

LqManik

I've seen tons of people who are interested in medical hospital rp. The way it currently is how people get dropped off at the hospital is unrealistic. People are not motivated to rp injuries because theres nothing to do. Fd is basically acting as a garbage truck dropping stuff off at the hospital for people to rp whatever.

Theres a lot of people that want to work in a hospital but nobody has the guts to actually set one up. Like the post above me describes.. if it succeeds it succeeds. If it fails so be it.

Hospital has specific amount of players which often doesn't pass the 7-8% of the entire server population. If you create a separate Hospital faction, it will near its death once the dedicated role-players lose motivation and vacate their positions; thus leaving the faction vulnerable with an inefficient service.

Let Government issue LPM (License to Practice Medicine). Ask Head of Legal Factions to have feedback from experienced Hospital/medRP to create a sheet required for examination. Put a GOV employee in charge to review the examinations of LPM and if successful, grant people the access to appropriately RP a physician in the server. Let everyone know anyone can become a doctor without putting too much stress on their shoulders.

Open a public clinic and make it accessible for everyone. Similar to taxi or mechanic duties, let the LPM-holders go on-duty here and welcome patients. If possible, assign three Sedan vehicles for advertising and visitations including births at home, prescriptions for elders or even for illegal activities such as treating a wounded gang member at turfs. Amend the rules for a direct P2P corruption; bar any doctor to take advantage of you with how they desire or vice-versa. Let doctors freely, and realistically, role-play and taste the server without limiting them to a faction and killing it afterwards with no sign of activity.

If you raise the awareness, more players will be inclined to give it a try. Try to create a warm, welcoming, place for a clinic instead of slapping the stereotypical official faction status etiquette on it where everyone knows it won't survive in long-run. A simple faction/business thread including all doctors' information and an appointment form with the simplest moderation access would work.

Edited by Vitta
  • Upvote 1

The only thing I wonder is how long it will be active and will it last?  It is a niche area, but I've always thought it's best to allow things to be given a try if people are willing to do it.  I would never expect to rely on something like this as it can come and go by the month.  Once the niche group goes there might not be a group of people willing to take on the task.  I do think there's a lot of avenues to explore however and is worth being suggested if people are willing to give it a go.  . 

11 minutes ago, Flemwad said:

The only thing I wonder is how long it will be active and will it last?  It is a niche area, but I've always thought it's best to allow things to be given a try if people are willing to do it.  I would never expect to rely on something like this as it can come and go by the month.  Once the niche group goes there might not be a group of people willing to take on the task.  I do think there's a lot of avenues to explore however and is worth being suggested if people are willing to give it a go.  . 

Well I mean on LSRP mine lasted more then a month.  We will have to be proactive but I've found since being on this server Flemwad that a lot more people are actually interested in the hospital/doctors office type of roleplay. I've also found that on this server there are a lot more people available during almost all timezones including mine. So it's possible that it can actually work.  Because realistically the same can be said about FD. We can't always rely on it because they aren't always as active as we need them to be. But it still works. 

• Upvote 1

Players usually aren’t interested in sitting on a bench in a jail cell for hours, yet it is an obvious repercussion to an action. ?

If you get popped by the kolaid kids for gang bangin’ on the wrong block, and manage to survive... You shouldn’t get a ride to the hospital where you are dropped off, picked up, and sent right back to the block.... especially if someone is available to take a whack at properly role playing the recovery process..

I think the biggest struggle would be fabricating an interest for players to see a doctor outside of being injured via a physical damages (be it rp’d or scripted)..

I don’t think this sort of roleplay on a hospital scale is feasible because it’s too niche. It requires not only the medical professionals to have specialized knowledge, but also requires patients who are admitted to hospital to have specialized knowledge (of anatomy and physiology) in order to accurately relay information (e.g. the results of a physical exam, or some diagnostic testabout their condition to the professional with whom they are roleplaying and who is trying to diagnose and treat them.

The one way around this that I can think of is making it heavily script-dependent, but this could make the entire experience a difficult one for patients. Among other things, it could pall and dissatisfy patients because they would be, in essence, tediously watching physicians interact with the script. Further, it would be time-consuming to develop script-dependent mechanics, and that’s, also, apart from requiring developers to have and/or employ specialized knowledge. 

A way around requiring specialized knowledge is reducing complexity. However, reducing complexity presents a host of other concerns; among them, simplified medical complaints and hospital visits might make the experience more tedious and unexciting (complexity, at least, makes it all more interesting and, further, allows participants to learn if they are willing).

Add to that the lack of variation and you‘re left with a very repetitive line of work (by “variation,” I mean variation in medical conditions which present in the clinic or hospital settings. To illustrate, imagine you’re a trauma surgeon and, in the span of time you’re online, you receive nine patients — five with gunshot wounds and others all with blade wounds; then imagine the same condition across days). In real life, the field appeals to many strong problem-solvers because it involves variety and, quite often, complexity. If participants would be willing to regularly look up conditions, note their symptoms and take the time to understand the mechanisms or basis of those symptoms, and roleplay their character having those conditions — then visiting a hospital or clinic and presenting with those symptoms — just to add variety, that would be great and would dispense with that issue; but I doubt anyone will do this frequently enough to keep everyone engaged.

For those reasons, I think medical RP should remain small-scale; i.e. in specialized clinics for those who require certain services (diagnostic, or administering rape kits — an example someone mentioned above). Otherwise, it’s too niche to cater to most.

Edited by Midsummer Night's Dream
On 12/28/2019 at 12:54 AM, Midsummer Night's Dream said:

I don’t think this sort of roleplay on a hospital scale is feasible because it’s too niche. It requires not only the medical professionals to have specialized knowledge, but also requires patients who are admitted to hospital to have specialized knowledge (of anatomy and physiology) in order to accurately relay information (e.g. the results of a physical exam, or some diagnostic testabout their condition to the professional with whom they are roleplaying and who is trying to diagnose and treat them.

The one way around this that I can think of is making it heavily script-dependent, but this could make the entire experience a difficult one for patients. Among other things, it could pall and dissatisfy patients because they would be, in essence, tediously watching physicians interact with the script. Further, it would be time-consuming to develop script-dependent mechanics, and that’s, also, apart from requiring developers to have and/or employ specialized knowledge. 

A way around requiring specialized

knowledge is reducing complexity. However, reducing complexity presents a host of other concerns; among them, simplified medical complaints and hospital visits might make the experience more tedious and unexciting (complexity, at least, makes it all more interesting and, further, allows participants to learn if they are willing).

Add to that the lack of variation and you‘re left with a very repetitive line of work (by “variation,” I mean variation in medical conditions which present in the clinic or hospital settings. To illustrate, imagine you’re a trauma surgeon and, in the span of time you’re online, you receive nine patients — five with gunshot wounds and others all with blade wounds; then imagine the same condition across days). In real life, the field appeals to many strong problem-solvers because it involves variety and, quite often, complexity. If participants would be willing to regularly look up conditions, note their symptoms and take the time to understand the mechanisms or basis of those symptoms, and roleplay their character having those conditions — then visiting a hospital or clinic and presenting with those symptoms — just to add variety, that would be great and would dispense with that issue; but I doubt anyone will do this frequently enough to keep everyone engaged.

For those reasons, I think medical RP should remain small-scale; i.e. in specialized clinics for those who require certain services (diagnostic, or administering rape kits — an example someone mentioned above). Otherwise, it’s too niche to cater to most.

Maybe expanding this type of roleplay to the hospital level is not feasible on this server, but we need to test the waters first. However, I think it is imperative to note that these "medical professionals" do not need to have thousands of minute details about physiology memorized. From my experience on LSRP, we had several basic guides to follow (the EMT-B, made up EMT-I, and EMT-P) that explained paramedic field work (which is basically equivalent to trauma work in a hospital) in addition to an Intern guide that detailed basic surgical procedures and diagnostic methods appropriate for our types of roleplay. The Residency guide detailed how to treat somewhat more advanced conditions, such as burns, and also detailed things like childbirth. In my tenure as Head of Hospital, I oversaw the addition of other guides that were supplementary to one's basic understanding of the body (such as more detail on diagnostic procedures [inc. x-ray, CT, MRI, fMRI, EEG, etc], or a basic medical terminology guide [proximal vs distal; basic functions of organs, etc]). These secondary guides were optional - only for those who were interested in delving deeper with their patients and whatnot. However, just the basic paramedic guides and the Internship/Residency guides provided the necessary knowledge for a whole host of medical problems that one could roleplay. In fact, I have no real life experience in medicine whatsoever, but I was able to RP as a Doctor effectively for a long time. By no means do our doctors require the knowledge of a real life doctor - that would be overkill.

The patients themselves are not required to have any knowledge of physiology or anatomy since the doctors themselves guide the patients along and can explain anything to the patients should the question come up. The Doctors can also simplify questions to make sense, such as, "Does the ECG indicate a heart attack?" as opposed to "Does the ECG indicate the ischemia of the heart tissue (which is indicative of a myocardial infarction)?" Of course, this example is wildly exaggerated, but the point is that these RP doctors, with some guides especially (which can be rewritten, reworked, replicated for GTA World's purpose; perhaps, paramedic guides can be retrieved from the LSFD, too; we'll see) have the ability to simplify RP enough for the average roleplayer to understand.

Yet, I completely understand your point on complexity vs. dullness, and it is a question that all RP doctors must deal with at some point. I personally feel that the outlines and guides we had on LSRP were a perfect framework for balancing the two opposing sides; it was the perfect balance due to the fact that it was not too advanced or too basic, and it properly engaged the patient by allowing them to decide how they wanted their injuries to be, how successful the surgeon was, or how complex the surgery itself was (and, of course, the doctor can assist the patient in deciding how complex they together should RP - be it RPing a graze wound vs a complex wound that ruptured organs with regard to a gun shot wound). As I outlined above, hopefully we'd be able to replicate such guides for the purposes of GTA World.

You also bring up an excellent point that was an issue on LSRP, too: the repetitive work of a hospital. True, most patients received are gun shot wounds - we would work on GSWs ad nauseam. To mitigate this boredom, we had the ability to skip medical procedures - most especially gunshot wounds. The goal, then, is to advertise our roleplay to the wider community. This is the only way to gather more "interesting" or long term patients - of which I had several. There is a, albeit small, community of roleplayers who are interested in going along with things such as pregnancy, cancer, terminal diseases - which provides amazing roleplay opportunities. Advertisements can be placed for either a clinic or a hospital, which offers the ability for checkups or other basic procedures. Perhaps people will be encouraged to RP other conditions, such as the occasional heart attack or stroke. But, at this point, we have to rely on the community to provide RP for us, which is the single greatest downfall of the entire plan. It takes dedication on both sides; whether or not the few of us interested in this have enough dedication for this to last, I don't know. I can only hope we do.

I suppose my point is that medical RP, even in a hospital, can work. It's, as you indicate, best to start in a clinic, but you very well could be right in saying that this won't survive on a large scale. If the clinic fails, then no hospital will come; if the clinic wildly succeeds, perhaps we can go ahead with hospital RP.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

PS - forgot to mention; I don't think any in-depth script is truly necessary. People are capable of RPing injuries as they want, free from the script's influence. The only thing that could maybe be scripted is a sort of prescription system, but that can come much later.

Edited by Ryan.

The issue on hand isn't resources. An appropriate and realistic approach to Doctor RP requires basic knowledge such as GSW (Gun-Shot Wounds) and screening procedures (MRI, X-RAY) which are provided in handbooks. More procedures can be added or revised via moderators assigned by who Head of Legal Factions deems necessary. Then, selected individuals can work on the projects hidden behind the closed doors until the clinic is ready to function.

The issue is the privatization of the clinic. Once it is run by the few selected, is not a faction run by GOV; no funds supported, you are on your own. You can't prove players the clinic will survive in long-run besides the talk. Motivation, determination and dedication can instantly fade away and you'd only be whispering false hopes. If a player leaves the server now and comes back in six months only to see the clinic has already shut down its doors, it causes a waste of time.

The clinic must be supported by GOV and be public. The owners shouldn't burn out themselves as if they are running a faction and attempting to train every doctor in the server. An examination for LPM as I've stated above is necessary to read and understand the guides. There can even be specific amount of guides to prepare, as a proof of dedication, which works as the real-life counterpart of references/resources that would allow you to increase your title (Assoc., Doc., Prof.) which can be totally optional.

My point is, don't try to follow the traditional LS:RP approach. Play different. You can fetch many fun, creative, ideas for clinic. Make it friendly. The moment it looks harder to achieve, it will collapse. Players will shortly lose interest and move towards what identifies 'Grand Theft Auto' as a faction — LSPD. I'm certain we can proceed further with many ideas, if Head of Legal Factions shows interest to take a step ahead.

Edited by Vitta