Delivery job is modern-age slavery.

Blastafary

1 hour ago, Chuck Lee said:

As a trucking company owner, 5% would kill all companies, and there wouldn't be interaction apart from all of them grinding on their own because 5% would make it profitable for lone truckers. 

I don't think it would kill companies because you'd need alot of investment to buy a truck. I think 20% for lone truckers is not right. 
just like in real life you make more money if you are a lone trucker instead of working for a company.

Let's say you rent out an establishment for 20% of your profits, so you decide to buy the establishment, doesn't feel right to get 20% taxed away anyways, does it?

I understand that you are trying to defend your company, not against it either, matter of fact, I am a Busch's driver too!; I am just trying to say, it's unfair. 

14 hours ago, Blastafary said:

I don't think it would kill companies because you'd need alot of investment to buy a truck. I think 20% for lone truckers is not right. 
just like in real life you make more money if you are a lone trucker instead of working for a company.

Let's say you rent out an establishment for 20% of your profits, so you decide to buy the establishment, doesn't feel right to get 20% taxed away anyways, does it?

I understand that you are trying to defend your company, not against it either, matter of fact, I am a Busch's driver too!; I am just trying to say, it's unfair. 

I don't know about this one, I don't think independent truckers make very much money compared to those who work for large companies, considering most truckers are a part of a supply chain involving a warehouse owned by a supplier, and maybe even a manufacturer, there are a lot of moving parts involved in it; now if you were to start your own logistics company, that would make sense. If you don't think you make enough money trucking, there are plenty of other ways to make an income.

21 minutes ago, UTOPIA said:

I don't know about this one, I don't think independent truckers make very much money compared to those who work for large companies, considering most truckers are a part of a supply chain involving a warehouse owned by a supplier, and maybe even a manufacturer, there are a lot of moving parts involved in it; now if you were to start your own logistics company, that would make sense. If you don't think you make enough money trucking, there are plenty of other ways to make an income.

It depends, if you go out on your own you're effectively your own company reliant on middle-men load boards, like a tradesman can be a self employed contractor, but you get paid directly and not through a big company for the runs you make.

So, while a big company might make deductions from your wage for the network they run, the truck they financed/provided for you and other job benefits and pay you a flat rate, you'll get a lump sum for the run, all in all it should be more than what you'd get paid working for a big company; they're financing an entire network, you're only paying for your own truck and fuel etc. 

If you manage your time well, get out of the red, you'll earn a lot more than with a trucking company. It's the CEOs and management that reap the rewards, not the drivers, but then the big companies provide job security and much more support that you don't get alone. 

That being said, it's not realistic. You need tonnes of experience and knowledge to be an "independent trucker" irl, you need the right certs and you need to find (eventually) a good customer that'll use your services time and time again. Big shippers would most likely not engage with an "independent" trucker unless they went through a load/freight broker, it takes time to find a good freight broker and even more time for them to trust you with more important loads. This is all NPC'd in game obviously.

tl;dr, it shouldn't be easy to just buy a truck and start shipping, irl it takes years of working for larger trucking companies and I think tax is a good check on that.

Edited by Duke

The amount you get from delivery driving at the most basic level is quite generous as it is. If anything, it should be reduced. Create your own roleplay and generate your own ideas on how to make money without grinding through scripted jobs just so you can buy a sportscar and drive around pointlessly. 

1 hour ago, Roulette said:

The amount you get from delivery driving at the most basic level is quite generous as it is. If anything, it should be reduced. Create your own roleplay and generate your own ideas on how to make money without grinding through scripted jobs just so you can buy a sportscar and drive around pointlessly. 

Long story short: money generates money, no money generates no money.

How am I going to be creative making money if I am not making money in the first place? 

I have 30k on my character, no way I could make money with 0 assets. 

I respect your opinion, however, I can't agree with it.

48 minutes ago, Blastafary said:

How am I going to be creative making money if I am not making money in the first place? 

yeah, u can keep trucking

also who cares what he compares it too, its a figure of speech, and by the verb definition he is correct but he uses the context wrong.

Edited by Midwest

I've always looked at script wise ways to earn money to fuel your rp. My character is a gang banger and I do trucking so I can afford my house, car and enough drugs & firearms to properly RP what I want to RP. I appreciate that the trucking system is actually fleshed out and enjoyable for the people that actually want to RP being a trucker but for everyone else it's just a way to finance the RP you want to do. If you rent out a van you pay $150 for the crate up front and sell it for $220 with the 30% tax so a net profit of $70 a crate, $350 a run. Not a lot. I've always hated starting out a new character as it's mostly grinding jobs so I can get into what I actually want to do. I know for a fact I'm not the only one, so claiming that you shouldn't "do it for the money" is ludicrous. That's not how roleplay servers ever worked.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, Blastafary said:

The majority of money comes from in-character interaction.

The fundamental truth is this - you will never earn enough money from any script-based job to bring you what you're looking for. The great majority of funds come from roleplay - that is, criminal interaction, legal factions, businesses, entrepreneurship, and unique ideas. You can spend all of your time on the server grinding away at a trucker job or you can invest yourself in a niche roleplay scheme. Nobody from the criminal POV, or really even legal POV is going to say no to some guy asking to do a favor on their behalf - provided they have a favor that needs doing. Roleplay is the most rewarding way of earning money. Hell, if you don't care about it on an OOC level, your character could sell themselves for sex and make a pretty penny.

You need to develop the creativity of a person affected by poverty. If you're roleplaying a criminal character - what schemes would a criminal think of doing? Laundering? Scams? Robberies? On my criminal character, I was always looking for the next mark. You need to immerse yourself in that mindset. Who can I rob today? What will the risks be? How can my character fuel his drug habit? I'm not encouraging you to go on robbery sprees with no roleplay, what I'm saying to do is develop a character. Eventually through your IC interactions, you'll build relationships with people who do have money, and you'll be paid to do them favors, or you'll learn about opportunities.

A good mafia documentary demonstrated the criminal underworld from the lower levels. It had nothing to do with any of the gaudy rich shit shown in many Hollywood shows. It was mostly just shady guys trying to figure out how to make what amounted to a little over a minimum wage job doing menial schemes. You don't get rich from it, but the connections is where you'll earn.

But at the end of the day, the money isn't what you'll find fun if you start investing in your character. It's the roleplay.

Edited by Bospy
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

Speaking as someone who hasn't done a script job since their first two or so weeks on this server, I'd recommend looking for an actual roleplay job. Script jobs become an exhausting grindfest SUPER quickly, just as you described, and will only leave you with decent money and no IC connections to spend that money amongst. I used script fishing (lol) as a side gig to the actual bartender RP I did when I first started, and dropped it as soon as I was making decent money with my RP work and involved with enough people ICly to get places with my character. Even if I only did my script job during graveyard times with less than 50-60 players, it was still a soul-crushing grind and I probably would have given up on getting back into RP if it was the only way I was making money at the time. Given from the contents of the OP, I imagine you're feeling the same right about now.

General existence on this server isn't very expensive. Try to hang around and meet a few people. Call up some of those ads you see looking for unique business employees. You'll find where you fit in and the money will come naturally. In any case, the RP should always come first.