Officially define SA as it's own State from CA

Brett

I think considering the fact that in the HD Universe we only have Liberty City and Los Santos plus the country side area's, these are the things we should replace. Which would mean New York and Los Angeles does not exist but instead they are simply replaced with Los Santos and Liberty City.
HD Universe does not have San Fierro or Las Venturas and the "map" is different from 3d universe as we all know San Fierro should be placed where Paleto Bay is currently if going by 3d universe.

There is no harm of having Miami, San Francisco and Las Vegas to exist alongside San Fierro, Las Venturas  and Vice City. But it's probably best to replace NY and LA with LC and LS due to the fact that majority of people are roleplaying as Liberty City as there are possibilities to take screenshots for passive roleplay like making trips to Liberty and using mods for screenshots or whatever. And also the possibility for Liberty City to exist on RAGE MP sometime in the future due to there being a full on HD port of the map already available

16 hours ago, Brett said:

Or maybe, it's a call to start making stuff more unique rather then copy pasting straight from IRL. Rockstar didn't make GTA V, GTA SA, or GTA IV, or any of it's other games to strictly be carbon cut ripoffs. Sure they implemented things from IRL into the place, and there is of course inspiration, but if they wanted them to be the exact same they could've done it. Just like how Watchdogs made Chicago the main city, even though the game geography does not resemble Chicago. I say who cares, because nobody is bitching about how SA is surrounded by water while acting like it's CA because LA is not surrounded by water on all sides, nor is there a massive desert right north of it. 

I think it literally is meant to be a carbon copy, hence all of the similarities.

They just made it an island(s) to make it more immersive as a natural barrier imo. 

30 minutes ago, Duke said:

I think it literally is meant to be a carbon copy, hence all of the similarities.

They just made it an island(s) to make it more immersive as a natural barrier imo. 

I can't speak for their true intentions, as nobody here works for rockstar. I was just trying to make the point that if they just wanted to be LA, it would've just been easier to proclaim LS as LA like Watchdogs just straight up went with Chicago even though they changed the whole city. 

As for some of the rest of the opinions so far, I would of course just like to say that there are multiple ways we can do this to probably get the best outcome, and I'll be the first to say that not even my idea would smooth out every problem in what we face, as it's not a perfect solution. I'm just glad to at least initiate a sort of discussion for how we can clear up the parallel cities and such, in a way that would be most reasonable. No solution is going to be perfect nor satisfy everyone, but something will at least allow us to make reasonable judgements to base things from. So, get creative. 

53 minutes ago, Duke said:

Yeah, in GTA 3, the barrier was a tunnel that was closed off that would be Upstate Liberty, basically an illusion so the player believes there is more to explore than what is available, and keep in mind, planes were not really a thing in this game (except for the Dodo but it was more of a minigame), however, GTA Vice City introduced helicopters, and thus they needed to change up their barriers so the water barrier was introduced and from then on, it was featured in every GTA game to date. Red Dead Redemption, on the other hand, doesn't have planes and helicopters, so they have natural land barriers.

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, KFN said:

Bold of you to assume I don't work for Rockstar.

Then let me clarify then. Specifically the team that created GTA V of Rockstar North, and guided the game through development lol. Not just any general Rockstar employee. If someone can prove me wrong, I ask them to go for it and give me the facts lol. 

Edited by Brett

San Andreas is the parody version of California, the only reason it’s an Island is for game reasons. Los Santos is a parody of LA. Personally, I have no idea why we don’t use more GTA lore, it’s fun, I love in the real world, I’m not playing GTA to play what I’m already, y’know, in.

GTA lore is a parody of whacky criticisms of American life. I see no reasons that California can just be edit out with the GTA equivalent, or Liberty City being edited out for its GTA equivalent. 

The other states don’t have a GTA equivalent or cities, so just use the real like equivalent.

easy peasy.

1 hour ago, Brett said:

Then let me clarify then. Specifically the team that created GTA V of Rockstar North, and guided the game through development lol. Not just any general Rockstar employee. If someone can prove me wrong, I ask them to go for it and give me the facts lol. 

Damnit you pushed logic against my haha funny joke ? !!!

12 hours ago, Brett said:

I can't speak for their true intentions, as nobody here works for rockstar. I was just trying to make the point that if they just wanted to be LA, it would've just been easier to proclaim LS as LA like Watchdogs just straight up went with Chicago even though they changed the whole city. 

As for some of the rest of the opinions so far, I would of course just like to say that there are multiple ways we can do this to probably get the best outcome, and I'll be the first to say that not even my idea would smooth out every problem in what we face, as it's not a perfect solution. I'm just glad to at least initiate a sort of discussion for how we can clear up the parallel cities and such, in a way that would be most reasonable. No solution is going to be perfect nor satisfy everyone, but something will at least allow us to make reasonable judgements to base things from. So, get creative. 

It's based off of Los Angeles, I think that's enough to not have it coexist with LA in our universe, the entire city and its notable landmarks are indisputably IRL knock offs. 

Unless you wanted to roleplay it's like a bollywood knock-off IRL, I don't see an alternative to incorporate LA into our universe. The original GTA SA plot was based off of real life gangs and events that happened in Los Angeles throughout the late 20th century, which is obviously what GTA V was developed on (hence the continuation of Grove Street). 

I don't really understand arguments for continuity through the GTA games and a "HD universe", there can't be two Los Santos cities in the same universe surely? GTA V is just a San Andreas rework focusing on LS and Blaine county. LS, San Fierro and Las Venturas all coexist in a series of interconnected islands in GTA SA, that's not the case in this game so it can't be the same universe surely?

Seems like a lot less of a headache to simply regard San Andreas as replacing California. As has been said, it's quite obviously based on California. It is fictionalized for the purpose of satire. I would say that's why Rockstar made L.A. Noire instead of L.S. Noire - Grand Theft Auto is a game with a universe heavily based on satire and comedy, L.A. Noire was not.

This was a debate for years on LS-RP too. I think the Grand Theft Auto V map is a lot closer to irl California/Los Angeles to simply regard it as replacing them entirely rather than pretending they co-exist. Basically any faction, organization, character background or anything else you're lifting from the real world can be translated from California to San Andreas. There is very little that isn't replicated somewhere on the map.

• mj2002 locked this topic