The Future of Government

HaveADream

With the recent formation of the Democratic, Republican and the Libertarian Party, I believe it is time to sit down with the community and find out what they want from the future of politics and government in GTAW.

My current view of the situation is that the recent events could lead to some exciting times in the legal RP region - live debates hosted by news factions, petitions and protests against unpopular changes, government bailouts, a fluid policy-driven economy, and so on.

We can't do it without engagement.

Absolutely - as every legal faction leader bar PD knows, engagement is the most difficult thing to have, even back in the days of when I ran Saints News with @borhoi, we really really struggled to have enough engagement and activity to make any of our work feel 'worth it', and, while I'm unsure about Borhoi's personal view on it, it completely crashed my motivation to run the faction altogether. I see that it's something that's wanted in threads about government and when I see people discussing government in terms of wanting that 'out-there' on-the-street government interaction, if you're one of those people it's so so important you engage and interact with those of us starting these political parties - joining a member, supporting a campaign, discussing politics and so on. 

Additionally, it's vital that we look at politics in the context of GTAW, and not in the context of reality. Costings and accurate figures are simply not possible due to the way the economy works, as well as policies on the whole not being possible for a variety of reasons, instead of looking at politics from a national viewpoint, I believe it would be best for all if we looked at policies and parties in an isolated context of GTAW.

And to you - what do you want to see in the Future of Government?

Tagging @Mecovy and @LaLa as they're key figures in the current movement - will tag leader of Libertarian when I find out who it is.

Edited by HaveADream
  • Applaud 2

It'll work when we all stand behind this, in the past the amount of people that tried to bring Goverment RP to GTAW was endless, but instead they were all turned down by staff. I hope we can finally have some solid Goverment RP in GTAW. To me it seems like staff isn't really interested in bringing government rp to GTAW, atleast not yet.

Edited by The Brotherhood of Steel
10 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

It'll work when we all stand behind this, in the past the amount of people that tried to bring Goverment RP to GTAW was endless, but instead they were all turned down by staff. I hope we can finally have some solid Goverment RP in GTAW. To me it seems like staff isn't really interested in bringing government rp to GTAW, atleast not yet.

Not quite right - The Democratic Party has a faction thread and we're working together with staff - just needs the right people and the right engagement (the latter of which being quite low). 

Hey I'm just here to say that I'm excited to see the formation of these parties. I hope we can, like you said, have debates, petitions and protests etc. I hope political RP in this server will flourish.

As for the engagement; I can understand it can be hard to get people excited about it. Even IRL I find most people just don't have any interest, so let alone in a videogame. That said; one important thing I have to add is that, I think, people will get much more enthusiastic about it when they feel like they actually have an impact. I think from 'your' side you should focus on that. Have regular votes/meetings with the public etc. Make people believe that they can change a traffic rule, a parking prohibition, or get an event approved by government if they engage with them. If people feel like they can make their lives a little better by engaging in politics, maybe they will try.

On the other hand; if it feels like it takes a long time to get anything through, it will feel like a waste of time and people will lose interest for sure.

EDIT: We have a republican and libertarian party?

Edited by Pruto
  • Applaud 1

I am particularly excited for the government roleplay and am glad to see it coming back. I do have an interest in it and can not wait to see how it unfolds. My character is planning to be involved from a citizen standpoint and I would gladly attend events such as public hearings and whatnot. I hope events such as those will be hosted in-game. 

And of course, I would love to if we could actually vote for people rather than people being appointed and for citizens to also be able to make a change by talking to various members of government and districts without having to be involved in the direct government. 

44 minutes ago, Pruto said:

Hey I'm just here to say that I'm excited to see the formation of these parties. I hope we can, like you said, have debates, petitions and protests etc. I hope political RP in this server will flourish.

As for the engagement; I can understand it can be hard to get people excited about it. Even IRL I find most people just don't have any interest, so let alone in a videogame. That said; one important thing I have to add is that, I think, people will get much more enthusiastic about it when they feel like they actually have an impact. I think from 'your' side you should focus on that. Have regular votes/meetings with the public etc. Make people believe that they can change a traffic rule, a parking prohibition, or get an event approved by government if they engage with them. If people feel like they can make their lives a little better by engaging in politics, maybe they will try.

On the other hand; if it feels like it takes a long time to get anything through, it will feel like a waste of time and people will lose interest for sure.

EDIT: We have a republican and libertarian party?

Yes, I have sent in all the documents for FM and have started the process ICly, I stand as Republican. My views on this whole gov RP is I once was a major player in the first version of the Government under Obzen when he was mayor. Like with all things in an rp community, you don't know until you try however with the coming of LSSD and a proper prison, the time is right for Gov to be in the mainstream and for there to actually be progress made for elections and a state senate (with fm representing stategov/LtGov.)

• Applaud 1
35 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

[..] however with the coming of LSSD and a proper prison, the time is right for Gov to be in the mainstream and for there to actually be progress made for elections and a state senate (with fm representing stategov/LtGov.)

Looking forward to it!

51 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

Yes, I have sent in all the documents for FM and have started the process ICly, I stand as Republican. My views on this whole gov RP is I once was a major player in the first version of the Government under Obzen when he was mayor. Like with all things in an rp community, you don't know until you try however with the coming of LSSD and a proper prison, the time is right for Gov to be in the mainstream and for there to actually be progress made for elections and a state senate (with fm representing stategov/LtGov.)

I'm excited to see this progress. I wish you luck and I hope you stick with it. This server has just been waiting for a new avenue of RP to push it to the next step in its evolution. I feel this is definitely a great direction to be heading. Props to you.

Gov is essential but will only be good if frequently used. I’m not calling for the gov to find ways to interact with the public everyday but I would like to see a government not comprised of alt characters. I wanna have a Mayor who only RP’s as the mayor. Not just once a month but every time they log in. 

If government can be active? I don’t see a problem with them taking more and more of an important role on the server.

1 hour ago, Henning said:

Gov is essential but will only be good if frequently used. I’m not calling for the gov to find ways to interact with the public everyday but I would like to see a government not comprised of alt characters. I wanna have a Mayor who only RP’s as the mayor. Not just once a month but every time they log in. 

If government can be active? I don’t see a problem with them taking more and more of an important role on the server.

Exactly. 

Also, please remember you're roleplay state politicians, not federal (country-wide) politicians, this is something I've seen over and over again and it's super stupid. If you're a state level politician, you're worrying about the state. You're not worrying about "furthering the people of the country" and "working with trump to pass x laws in the nation", etc/