The "Drugs have no benefits" Argument is Weak

DLimit

3 hours ago, borhoi said:

In my honest opinion, drugs shouldn't have any script effects at all. In a heavy RP environment, the onus should be on the role player to realistically depict the effects of drug use, addiction, and the havoc it wreaks on both their character's life and those around them.

Completely disagree, what's the point of even playing on a game server like GTA:W then? Why not just play RP on IRC or Discord?

Scripts enhance and encourage players to do things they wouldn't otherwise in game. Having longer scripted visual effects or scripted ways of smoking / splitting drugs up and sharing them will encourage use, because otherwise drug RP is fucking boring. IRL it's not for the obvious main reason people use them, which is to feel good. This cannot be duplicated in a game, so.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, EliH said:

Scripts enhance and encourage players to do things they wouldn't otherwise in game. Having longer scripted visual effects or scripted ways of smoking / splitting drugs up and sharing them will encourage use, because otherwise drug RP is fucking boring. 

Ok, but thats like totally your opinion dude.

Edited by kerpele
Just now, kerpele said:

Can we just L&A this thread, it's not going anywhere

Just because you don't like the ideas here doesn't mean it's gonna be shut down.

Still, for anyone that doesn't wanna be an idiot, the simple fact is drug RP is not fun with its current script limitations. Implementing more, dragging out effects to a realistic time line, and introducing ways of smoking it/sharing it will greatly increase usage.

3 minutes ago, EliH said:

Just because you don't like the ideas here doesn't mean it's gonna be shut down.

Still, for anyone that doesn't wanna be an idiot, the simple fact is drug RP is not fun with its current script limitations. Implementing more, dragging out effects to a realistic time line, and introducing ways of smoking it/sharing it will greatly increase usage.

https://forum.gta.world/en/index.php?/forum/45-game-suggestions/

1 minute ago, EliH said:

Yes, it's almost like this is the discussion part of the forums and not the suggestions part. We're here to discuss, not make snide comments like "iT's JuSt Ur OpInIoN bRo".

Except at 7 pages your not discussing anything. The discussion has been had and doesn't need to continue as a festering ground for toxicity.  Everybody has had enough time to say their piece and the only people who are posting are just repeating themselves. L&A and if any quality ideas have come from it they should be posted in suggestion. 

• Applaud 1
2 hours ago, EliH said:

Completely disagree, what's the point of even playing on a game server like GTA:W then? Why not just play RP on IRC or Discord?

Scripts enhance and encourage players to do things they wouldn't otherwise in game. Having longer scripted visual effects or scripted ways of smoking / splitting drugs up and sharing them will encourage use, because otherwise drug RP is fucking boring. IRL it's not for the obvious main reason people use them, which is to feel good. This cannot be duplicated in a game, so.

If you need script benefits to want to add something to your character then I frankly think you're doing the whole heavy RP thing wrong.

Drug use and addiction is something that can add a lot to a story. Visual effects aren't realistic. They don't add anything. The room didn't turn purple when I was on heroin in real life and as far as your argument that drugs need to make you "feel good", I find that particular feature more annoying than anything.

People shouldn't need to be incentivized with literal RPG style buffs or other script enhancements to make drug use "fun". We're portraying characters and telling stories here.

I have nothing against allowing drugs to be split, sure. But to say it's "boring as hell" just tells me there's a lack of research, creativity, or interest here. Role play a character. If they use drugs, then use drugs. If that's boring as hell without flashy scripted additions then you might just not be interested to begin with.

Edited by borhoi
  • Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, borhoi said:

snip

Dude, not to use this as a bragging point or some retarded internet epeen thing, but I've probably done more drugs than you in real life.

I never said you need visual effects to make it work. However, it does help players get in the mood and be more immersive with what they're actually doing icly, which is the entire point of the server. To RP in the most immersive way possible. The server isn't 100% realistic, and was never intended to be. Since you can't code /why/ people do drugs in real life, which is to have specific feelings such as feeling good or feeling energetic, visual effects is the next best thing.