The "Drugs have no benefits" Argument is Weak

DLimit

I'm copy and pasting this from a discussion that I had on the "faction" topic...

"The problem with players, then, is that they are only willing to purchase narcotics for mechanical purposes rather than R.P. purposes. Realistically, in CALIFORNIA, a large chunk of the population would want to smoke marijuana for recreational use, whether it may be one gram or a half-ounce. Hence, despite game-mechanics, I believe that players should invest their wealth in this substance as it's a highly-valued recreational drug within California. 

Young adult exhausted after an eight hour shift? Light a spliff... drink a bottle...

Older man struggling with back pain? Tell me, what's cheaper... One gram of marijuana or medication within a privatized healthcare system?

High school student? You'll be peer-pressured to try the substance OR might be psychologically addicted to it.

All of my characters smoke weed, except for one.... Madelie Mouri the Voodoo High-Priest? She uses it for spiritual purposes. Troy Tranh? To be cool amongst his peers. Tony Minh? He hasn't smoked it, yet. However, he will gradually shift towards smoking it as his character develops due to peer pressure or stress. Dorion Gates/King Kong? He glorifies marijuana, literally purchasing extra bags to "smoke out" people as a means towards maintaining a positive reputation with the gang-bangers on Forum Drive. Jevaun "Ras" Jones (RIP)? Rastafari. Jesus Forero? He'll smoke it on rare occasions as a stress reliever. The list goes on... The only person that doesn't smoke marijuana is my wealthy fourty year-old foreign investor from England.

Make a good reason, as this is based on California... A lot of people smoke weed. 

It's a high R.P. server... People should NEVER state "I won't buy it because the HP buff is weak" or "I don't need the HP buff". These same individuals will travel all the way to a bar and order an alcoholic beverage that makes you "in-game intoxicated" for an X amount of minutes... 

Even if you're legal, sub-urban people WILL have that one connect to a person that is connected to a person from the ghetto... And, realistically, that person would be praised amongst all weed smokers as he is the "main supplier outside of the ghetto".

One should also note that the consumption of marijuana is very ritualistic, in a sense, as group of friends would have deep discussions and bonding moments with one another while smoking the substance. Make the drug useful in an R.P. sense with CREATIVITY and IMAGINATION rather than arguing that "Oh, no point... I don't need a 15HP buff" or "A 15HP buff is weak".

Don't remain dependent on mechanics to enjoy the R.P. aspect.

• Upvote 4

You can wax eloquence about it all you want, but the fact of the matter is that there is 0 reason to buy drugs within the confines of the game as they currently are. It’s a money sink.

IRL people buy drugs to feel good or socialize.

In game it’s not only way harder to get, it’s also pretty bad with its current script limitations. You can’t pass around joints, split weed up for bowls, etc, causing you to buy lots of grams at a time and have to pass them out like a kid sharing in Kindegarten.

On a different note, effects need to last way longer and be tied to the char as a boolean so even if you crash or the server goes down it stays.

Also while a lot of young people do smoke, it’s not as nearly many as you seem to think it is. If people currently aren’t rping drugs, and don’t want to, there’s not really much you can do to force them. You need to entice them icly through means to participate.

• Upvote 5
2 hours ago, EliH said:

You can wax eloquence about it all you want, but the fact of the matter is that there is 0 reason to buy drugs within the confines of the game as they currently are. It’s a money sink.

In game it’s not only way harder to get, it’s also pretty bad with its current script limitations. You can’t pass around joints, split weed up for bowls, etc, causing you to buy lots of grams at a time and have to pass them out like a kid sharing in Kindegarten.

On a different note, effects need to last way longer and be tied to the char as a boolean so even if you crash or the server goes down it stays.

Also while a lot of young people do smoke, it’s not as nearly many as you seem to think it is. If people currently aren’t rping drugs, and don’t want to, there’s not really much you can do to force them. You need to entice them icly through means to participate.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with @EliH.

2 hours ago, EliH said:

Agreed. And  same goes for the booze as well.

15 hours ago, EliH said:

One doesn't have to actually consume the gram to be high. Only one player's expected to possess the gram to ROLEPLAY smoking the group up with the substance. Alcohol possesses zero benefits, yet every one sinks their wealth into the substance... In fact, one attains more benefits with smoking a gram of marijuana for $200-$250 than a bottle, which ranges from $100-$200. That's only on a mechanical level, when individuals should prioritize on the R.P. experience...

However, I agree with the idea that marijuana should possess those effects for at least 10-20 minutes, as the feeling exists for a while in real life.

I exist in Toronto, Canada... I've encountered just as many individuals that consume marijuana than those that do not, which is still lower when compared to California.

Drugs currently are a bit inbetween. Scriptwise, yeah, drugs have no benefits other than a few janky buffs that I don't even know if they work and a couple of visual effects. I'm pretty sure the developers are working on that already. 

But if we're taking RP here, then you got a whole whole lot to do. If you know /what/ to do exactly.

• Applaud 1
18 hours ago, Henning said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with @EliH.

I also can't believe that I'm agreeing with EliH, we're usually sworn opponents in opinions. We need a way to combine different drugs together to make things weaker / potentially overdose material. Now that my boy Caporegime is gone though I highly doubt a decent drug system is going to be released for a long time and not as elaborate as he was writing up whilst in FM.

Having visual and physical effects script-wise is a way of saying "Hey, I'm a lazy bastard that can't think outside of the box and research drug usage and effects so I need a script to determine it for me." A serious roleplay server doesn't need RPG elements that decide what you roleplay and how you roleplay it.

Drugs are however not hard to get. The reason drugs are 'difficult' to get for players is because they expect factions to be stood on a street corner hustling drugs. It doesn't work like that in 2019, most of the drug transactions that occur in real life now are over-the-air drug sales. By that, I mean call-to-call and text-to-text drug transactions to meet at locations, specify a quantity, price, drug, etc. It's not like The Wire and some people need to get that out of their skull.

• Upvote 4
42 minutes ago, Maca said:

Drugs are however not hard to get. The reason drugs are 'difficult' to get for players is because they expect factions to be stood on a street corner hustling drugs. It doesn't work like that in 2019, most of the drug transactions that occur in real life now are over-the-air drug sales. By that, I mean call-to-call and text-to-text drug transactions to meet at locations, specify a quantity, price, drug, etc. It's not like The Wire and some people need to get that out of their skull.

this^

where is the fearrp when a 23 year old female drives up to a corner in an expensive sports car on the most dangerous street in Los Santos to ask for a bag of weed?

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
54 minutes ago, aldo said:

this^

where is the fearrp when a 23 year old female drives up to a corner in an expensive sports car on the most dangerous street in Los Santos to ask for a bag of weed?

I sold that car long time ago. And I drove there daily knowing the dealer ?

But otherwise yeah as Nickelback sing, "Everybody's got a drug dealer on speed dial" Yeah in Los Santos this is twice as common.

People need to learn one more thing, this is 21st century, boyz in the hood are maybe selling drugs, but so does the college student living few steps from your high end apartment etc etc. And that is reality tbh.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 3