Did Menyoo change GTAWorld?

Menyoo  

125 members have voted

1. 1. When Menyoo was introduced to GTAWorld did it change the server in a way?

• Yes, It made the server worse.
    • Yes, It made the server better.
    • Nah, It's still the same as before.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/18/2019 at 06:00 PM

5 minutes ago, Smonk said:

Yeah feel you that's the only real harm with the characters that don't exist is that you pretty much won't meet them unless you somehow unintentionally convince their player to make the character ingame via the chats you have with them on FB. Pretty sure that happened with 1 or 2 of em but not many. That said, I don't think it's heavily commonplace for that to be a thing but I don't know confidently so I won't really give a firm opinion/stance on it.

then again i feel like half the people that chat to eachother on there never meet ig anyway even if they do exist LOL

as for the why rp a char u dont possess thing, I think that kinda falls into what I said to invictus with the whole "well, yeah, but people are people" argument, cause I mean. People quite literally are people. We do some questionable shit to entertain ourselves. I don't think it's harmful enough of an issue to really worry about or get angry over as some people might however considering how minor and few they are.

No no, I agree, it isn’t harming anyone it just can get annoying for those on the rare occasions that want to meet up.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Maca said:

Because it shows demographics. You see how many people actually value their avatar's looks over roleplay.

Many do, yes. Although that doesn't apply to everyone, some utilize the tool to simply bolster their photo qualities and are still on track with roleplay. Your point is valid though, but I don't see any correlation with tweaking photos and roleplay standards. I don't believe Menyoo directly impacts roleplay quality, perhaps people are simply too occupied with the tool rather than heading off in-game to actually develop their characters. Daily tasks like taking the trash out, picking up groceries, feeding the child, etc. Then again, many would give you the "why would I roleplay on my own" answer. The majority of players have an IC partner, daily chores can be roleplayed well alongside them.

Edited by Gall
  • Upvote 2

I don't think it harms GTAWorld but I don't see the good in it either. I made it a point to only use GTAWorld content on GTAWorld platforms, Facebrowser included. Maca is spot on with his point regarding avatarism and how some people on here just can't divide themselves from their characters and all they do is enhance their questionable role-play onto said platform by using this Menyoo tool. Reals steer clear of the cancer 99% of the time within factions, establishments, you name it, there's this cool dynamic in this game where for as long as you don't break server rules, you can ignore whoever you want, so I don't see the problem there.

Facebrowser in itself could do with better, more active, and more hands on moderation. A lot of the shit posted there resembles no realistic social media platform and a lot of the content is very questionable. I see a problem when you post a dozen pictures doing a dozen things you're not really doing in game, not because you can't but because if you think you went in SP and struggled to take this white picket fence photo of your character surfing, you suddenly don't have to role-play it, then you're wrong. A little fact checking there couldn't hurt especially if posts are reported and I'm sure many of them are.

I appreciate people like @Smonk, @Nemo and @SaintBatemanofWallStreet for being hyperaware of what they post on the platform with their main characters and fitting Facebrowser into their characters as a whole. It brings fresh air to content and while Menyoo's used in some of their pictures, it's used to just enhance some game mechanics (like get a proper selfie hand, say put a wrist watch on, use a specific t-shirt that isn't IG but it doesn't make any sense because your character would have it). Now that's quality content. They aren't the only ones putting quality content out there, and there sure are others — make them examples, and moderate Facebrowser better. Make it so that the Pro subscription only renders a specific tag or a modified version of verified which doesn't interfere with the true, authentic tick who should only be given to authentic personalities on the platform and could be used. from an Out of Character aspect, as a way to promote quality content there. The deal here is the three I listed are actually worthwhile role-players so they know what they're doing because they're capable of role-playing and developing a character, something the majority of this community isn't capable of.

Just food for thought and my two cents. Menyoo sure doesn't do anything to GTAWorld, but the way you allow people to use it on the main platform it's been even brought to attention for, a.k.a Facebrowser, is the root cause you're trying to identify. So go and see to it that it's better managed and regarded for, I suppose. I know you wanna say it's IC but I really think it isn't and Player Management could play ball and be FB moderators when content goes overboard OOC standard there.

• Upvote 1

Hello. Hi. Hey. These type of topics, discussions, and all are like a broken record. As of recent months, it is known knowledge of the increasing popularity of menyoo, and its use upon the site that is Facebrowser. Say, months ago, menyoo was taboo to a majority of ones, with the additional help of the guide of lovely @jessicawhich raised awareness regarding the mod. Now, in my opinion, Menyoo does not hinder GTAW. It is more so the players and how they make use of the mod itself. Myself personally, I openly admit to using menyoo, however I limit myself. I use it for a creative aspect, to say create an act of my character's backstory, to take pictures of my character, selfies that are normal and basic, a picture that my character would deem pretty, yet she posts on a blue moon, and then finally; Nithercott Cosmetics is a cosmetics company, and with that, there is limitations on the server in regards to poses, and such for photoshoots. Therefore, to further better the marketing, and show off the quality of the products, I use menyoo to capture screens of models wearing the lipstick, or clothing. It is incredibly useful for brands, to capture that right shot, that they cannot in game, however it should be discussed, and planned IC. There has been many of meetings with regard to Nithercott Cosmetics on the concepts, ideas and such, that we then input into menyoo, and try our best to mimic the style that we want. Menyoo is overly time consuming. Just yesterday, on my day off, I spent about five hours, trying to sort out concepts, ideas, animations, poses, clothing, angles, and of course models for the upcoming release of Nithercott Cosmetics. It takes away time from roleplay, I completely agree - I'd much rather be RPing out my character's feelings for that day. Cleaning around the house, going for a walk, cooking a homemade meal. Anything. Menyoo is time consuming, yet rewarding in the end, especially for us that are perfectionists, and want to approach in a sense of creative angles in relation to the whole mod itself. I'm rambling, forgive me; Of course, there is those who use menyoo with extremely modded games. I won't call out names, but using a Sims PED overhaul is just a big no no. With menyoo, take pictures all you desire, but look similar to your character in game. And if you desire to edit the picture, feel free, yet keep the similarity of the face IG within the picture. Like real life, social media is full of people who airbrush their stuff - I'm no stranger to it, as in certain lightings, the texture of the model can look weird, or out of place, therefore a little retouching is required, otherwise it'd draw the attention away from the picture you've worked hard on creating. There has been numerous times that I've met people IG, and they look different. Nowhere similar to what they portray themselves on facebrowser. Whereas there is those who edit beautiful pictures, yet still look identical in game. In reference to what @Smonksaid about the lack of meeting up on facebrowser, I completely agree. People make themselves best buds on facebrowser, yet never find the time to meet up IG, perhaps cause they fail to log on, or perhaps because they don't exist as a character. It is irritating for us that go on the server to meet up with these people, to find radio silence when you want them to meet you at a certain place. Menyoo is an extremely good mod, however we shouldn't be blaming it, rather the people who have put a sour taste in all our mouths with their misusage. Facebrowser has a greater impact than the mod itself. Perhaps look at the countless trolls upon the site? The use of menyoo, I can see that it does have an effect in the way people are more drawn to go upon it than to get IG, and to roleplay. However, in no way, does it hinder roleplay at all. We joined GTAW knowing it was a roleplay server. We all came here to establish stories, build characters and because we love to roleplay. Your roleplay and menyoo are two different things. Yes, there are those who take it the extreme and take unrealistic pictures, yet fail to RP anything in relation. I can understand this as a hinder, however I've known many amazing people on this server who use Menyoo, and still roleplay with such detail and amazing quality. It is the rotton apples that shine the wrong light. In regard to clothing, and mods that aren't available to others; Commissions. That is how people chose to spend their money. They have the freedom to do what they desire with their money. If you want a crop top? Buy it. It isn't their fault that Rockstar has limitations in regard to actual decent clothing. In conclusion, I feel that Menyoo shouldn't be looked at as the decline, rather how it is used, and more so Facebrowser. People seem to care more about Facebrowser likes than the establishment and creation of a story. My ted talk is done! 

Whilst I can see the appeal of using Menyoo I do believe that it's time for it to be regulated, because whether people see it or not the content people produce with it sets an example of the server be it on Facebrowser, character threads or whatever.

It encourages lazy and subpar roleplay, because if you're spending so long making that perfect fake screenshot for a couple dozen likes on Facebrowser then you're not on the server, developing your character with meaningful roleplay. Yes, it can enhance your experience of the server but if misused can also be a detriment, especially when it's used to powergame things that just aren't there and situations that wouldn't happen. Even if it technically doesn't effect anyone else, it just looks stupid at times. 

This is why I think it needs to be regulated, perhaps with a general set of guidelines on the dos and donts so that it maintains an accurate representation of not only characters, but the server as a whole. 

Tldr; I don't mind if it stays, as long as it's regulated somehow. 

As always if you do see something that's blatant powergaming, or breaks any other rules don't hesitate to report it or drop a roleplay quality report so we're aware of poor character portrayal and such. 

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
8 hours ago, Moonsong said:

Whilst I can see the appeal of using Menyoo I do believe that it's time for it to be regulated, because whether people see it or not the content people produce with it sets an example of the server be it on Facebrowser, character threads or whatever.

It encourages lazy and subpar roleplay, because if you're spending so long making that perfect fake screenshot for a couple dozen likes on Facebrowser then you're not on the server, developing your character with meaningful roleplay. Yes, it can enhance your experience of the server but if misused can also be a detriment, especially when it's used to powergame things that just aren't there and situations that wouldn't happen. Even if it technically doesn't effect anyone else, it just looks stupid at times. 

This is why I think it needs to be regulated, perhaps with a general set of guidelines on the dos and donts so that it maintains an accurate representation of not only characters, but the server as a whole. 

Tldr; I don't mind if it stays, as long as it's regulated somehow. 

As always if you do see something that's blatant powergaming, or breaks any other rules don't hesitate to report it or drop a roleplay quality report so we're aware of poor character portrayal and such. 

Moderators don't even exist. I doubt people even want to waste their reporting every troll on the website when the report in the first place is not even checked unless they spam the admins to check the said report. Imo that should change in the future and fb should be more regulated.

I meant a forum or roleplay quality report for those who are clearly breaking rules or showing poor character consistency etc, as for regulating Menyoo that could be done with an official, general list of do's and don'ts perhaps. Anything silly done in Menyoo can generally be covered with our current rules.

• Upvote 1
  • Cara locked this topic