[Saints News] #WorldMentalHealthDay - Suicide Prevention

luna~

-mlICciwkqMGmNqm8mFM7rbni-RlphRi8LEm_dR2pWeT1IW1PrSgfqOSon0dzuoXpeRVWTS2Caa125Kw0g-YZqsDhitTKkO5n0ODTWK22Z1khB-3qUAUZwJCKqViE8Swod5oOE0v

#WorldMentalHealthDay 

Suicide Prevention

By Miia R. Novak, Psy.D

World Mental Health Day takes place today - 10th October and this year’s theme is ‘Suicide Prevention’. 

Earlier this year, I wrote an article on Suicide Prevention following a devastating incident that took someone’s life (Understanding Suicide) - Today is the day incidents like that are brought to public light, and the measures to stop suicide are talked about.. Today is the day in which people should ‘go loud’, on the topic and make their voices heard. The day provides an opportunity for you to add to the wider conversation that will be occurring on social media, television and elsewhere. Remaining quiet is not the way to go. Talk about it, check in with others and look after one another. You are not alone. 

Suicide has a prevalent appearance in Los Santos, from friends to family to colleagues, it's likely most of us have lost someone to suicide. In the US, nearly 40,000 people die from suicide every year, being listed as the tenth leading cause of death. In the world, 800,000 lives are taken due to suicide every year. This equates to about one death every 40 seconds. Between 15-29-year-olds, suicide is listed as the second leading cause of death among that demographic. The statistics surrounding suicide as a whole are quite staggering and dangerous. The main thing with suicide is that sufferers may not speak out about what it is they are truly feeling, which makes tackling such an issue harder. If you know someone who is suffering, or if you are suffering with such thoughts yourself - be heard, reach out to someone who will listen and guide you. Psychologists like myself are here to listen, and to give our guidance on the issue at hand. 

There are many organisations such as the Crisis Text Line, Suicide Prevention/Stop Suicide site and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline who all deal with urgent situations like this. Shine a Light on the topic.  

If you do feel like there is more going on inside yours, or someone you know’s head - Remember the steps;

W - watch out for signs of distress and uncharacteristic behavior

A - ask “are you having suicidal thoughts?”

I - it will pass – assure your loved one that, with help, their suicidal feelings will pass with time.

T - talk to others, encourage the affected to seek help from a GP or health professional.

WnrJtUfAX2XEqMA0qe5x0ucMQr0yzQJSj7gWaAfRIL-zD5IdjXQ1mO4otlarIQh-0XQ891ECbvJVCv3jd_66Au586i4g9EvqHcdwfGh7ghtuS0QLn1U--VRc59e5NnYLu5w3RbIf

Edited by luna~
  • Upvote 2
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic