Judiciary of San Andreas

People v. Scarlett Tapa

A visual novel

2eATj2v.png

SmY8RZs.jpg

bhB70Wr.png

mtW6D6N.jpg

[17:32:00] Odell Mondale shouts: Over here!
[17:32:05] * Odell Mondale waves to the Deputies.
[17:32:51] Beau Campbell says: Hop out Tapa.
[17:32:53] Jack Lipinski says: Alright then...
[17:33:06] * Franklin Bradford shakes his head.

y6StFbR.jpg

6CrGH5m.jpg

[17:33:06] * Scarlett Tapa hops out from the SUV eyeing around the place briefly.
[17:33:08] * Beau Campbell takes a hold of Scarlett by her bicep, leading her along.
[17:33:26] Chester Knight says: Alright, deputies.

[17:33:28] * Jack Lipinski aids in guiding Scarlett along.
[17:33:37] Chester Knight says: The lawyers will be following me into courtroom one.
[17:33:39] * Odell Mondale peeks at the group of individuals, he takls low.
[17:33:40] * Chester Knight nods to the group.

vhMNX8V.png

oYaib0N.jpg

[17:33:43] Miles Hyde says: Hey, Ms. Tapa. Are you ready?

[17:33:53] * Scarlett Tapa nods to Miles slowly.
[17:36:39] * Eliana Calvani turns her phone off.
[17:37:06] * Eliana Calvani lowers herself down, sitting on the chair.
[17:37:08] * Scarlett Tapa nods walks towards the table and plants herself onto the chair slowly afterwards.

jNI9pv5.png

[17:37:49] Chester Knight shouts: Alright, everyone, please be seated.
[17:38:08] * Miles Hyde descends his posture down on his chair, he approaches Scarlett to whisper to her.
[17:38:59] * Miles Hyde clears his throat quietly before setting his gaze at Chester, downing a nod to him.
[17:39:24] Chester Knight shouts: All right. Just for the record, we're here for a motion to reconsider bail. Specifically, the defendant has made the motion for reconsideration and the court has elected to accept it.
[17:40:12] Chester Knight shouts: Now, I've reviewed all the submissions of evidence and have reviewed the relevant asset report given to me by the relevant authorities, and I trust that every side has a copy of the charging documents, is that correct?
[17:40:21] * Chester Knight looks to the prosecution, and then the defense.
[17:40:42] * Miles Hyde rises from his chair to address Justice Knight quickly, sitting back down thereafter.
[17:40:52] Miles Hyde says: Correct, your honor. The defense has a copy of all of the exhibits.
[17:41:01] Chester Knight shouts: The state?
[17:41:15] * Chester Knight nods to Odell, prompting him to speak with his body language, awaiting a response.
[17:41:17] * Odell Mondale then stands up to address the Court after Hyde took a seat.
[17:41:48] Odell Mondale shouts: Correct, Your Honor. The State has a copy of all of the exhibits.

lckKaS3.jpg

[17:42:35] Chester Knight shouts: Alright, ladies and gentlemen. We have all the relevant documents. Can I have each of the lawyers here stand and address the court stating their names and who they represent?
[17:42:53] * Odell Mondale then takes a seat, and nods his head up and down firmly.
[17:43:10] Chester Knight shouts: The state can go first, I see two people sitting.
[17:43:15] * Miles Hyde shifts his gaze towards Odell as they're addressed.
[17:43:22] * Odell Mondale then stands up again, addressing the Court.
[17:43:27] * Chester Knight motions with his left hand, he wafts towards Odell and Eliana, seemingly wanting to get the formality of identification over with.
[17:43:50] Odell Mondale shouts: Your Honor, Assistant District Attorney Odell Mondale for the State, as a Prosecutor.
[17:43:59] * Odell Mondale then takes a seat once again, letting Eliana to introduce herself.
[17:43:59] * Chester Knight nods to Odell.
[17:44:04] * Eliana Calvani pushes herself up, as she'd adress the Court.
[17:44:38] Eliana Calvani says: Your Honor, Paralegal Eliana Calvani from the District Attorney's Office.
[17:45:01] Chester Knight shouts: Alright, thank you. Can I have the representation for the defense stand and identify themselves, and then the defendant stand and say their name, for the record?
[17:45:03] * Miles Hyde ascends his posture up on his feet immediately, addressing Chester with an audible tone.
[17:45:06] * Eliana Calvani lowers herself down, sitting on the chair.
[17:45:42] Miles Hyde shouts: Miles Hyde, on behalf of the defendant as their acting attorney.
[17:46:00] * Miles Hyde turns to gaze at Scarlett, he nods to her.
[17:46:28] * Chester Knight nods to Miles.
[17:46:29] * Scarlett Tapa stands up slowly onto her feed.
[17:46:40] Scarlett Tapa says: Scarlett Tapa.
[17:46:54] * Chester Knight nods.
[17:47:27] * Miles Hyde rotates his posture around before focusing his gaze on the duo that just entered, he immediately retracts and proceeds to descend himself down back on the chair.
[17:47:30] Chester Knight shouts: Mrs. Tapa, alright, thank you. We're all here, thank you. We can formally begin.

F5tNocx.jpg

kgUfGbe.png

[17:48:08] * Scarlett Tapa plants herself down onto the chair slowly again, pouts her lips afterwards briefly.
[17:48:10] Chester Knight shouts: Alright, since the defense is the moving party for this, I'll allow them to state the basis and what needs to be consider.
[17:48:32] * Miles Hyde ascends his posture up on his feet before collecting some documents from his desk, he nods to Chester.
[17:48:41] * Odell Mondale recrosses his legs, he keeps his focus on Miles Hyde. Odell has a serious facial expression.

3x7tXjK.png

[17:49:41] Miles Hyde shouts: Your honor, the defense believes that the court is making a mistake in the matter of bail for Ms. Tapa. While the charges are egregious in nature, the evidence does not corroborate with the allegations versus my client. Ms. Tapa is being charged -
[17:50:37] Miles Hyde shouts: - with four accounts of second degree murder, that requires proof of malice aforethought. If you review the evidence, your honor - you'll notice that this case is much simpler than what is being portrayed. Permission to approach the bench?
[17:50:50] * Miles Hyde picks up two copies of the documents.
[17:51:24] Chester Knight shouts: Uh-huh, go ahead, Mr. Hyde.

5eM0Sjd.png

[17:52:01] * Miles Hyde approaches Chester's desk, he sets down a document there before making his way towards Mondale - handing him another copy.
[17:52:14] * Odell Mondale takes the copy from Miles, looking at the document.
[17:52:23] * Chester Knight picks up the documents. He removes a set of reading glasses that hang on his robes, putting them on. He reviews them.

Yi3bn6C.png

[17:52:57] Miles Hyde shouts: Your honor, in these documents. I have highlighted some of the points which were mentioned in the evidence provided by the state during the discovery phase, if we look here...
[17:53:08] * Miles Hyde picks up a document and begins to read through the document.
[17:53:44] Miles Hyde shouts: In Exhibit Two, there is a police report. If we look down at the narrative here, it states and I quote:
[17:54:11] Miles Hyde shouts: 2 vehicles: Übermacht Oracle (QUEEN) and Bravado Bison (MCD071). The victims' bodies were found near the Bravado Bison (owned by Yvette Rocha); however, after determining bullet trajectory, it seemed that the victims who were inside the Bravado -
[17:54:14] Miles Hyde shouts: - Bison initiated the shootout, as bullets were shot at the rear and rear windshield of the Übermacht Oracle. The Übermacht Oracle was also positioned in front of the Bravado Bison.
[17:54:58] Miles Hyde shouts: Reading through the highlighted part, we can establish that there were two vehicles on the scene. One which belongs to Ms. Tapa, and another which belongs to the victim - Yvette Rocha.
[17:55:35] Miles Hyde shouts: Now, what was not established due to poor policing work was that there was a car accident that occurred. The damages are not documented in any police report, however, this is not the most important bit.

KlX87XB.jpg

[17:56:10] * Chester Knight peers at Scarlett, he watches her as she sits in the chair.

D5uRqVF.png

[17:56:16] Miles Hyde shouts: What I'd like to state is that even by the police report, the police confirms that the victim's vehicle began to open fire at my client.
[17:57:01] Miles Hyde shouts: Yes, she did possess two illegal firearms. Yes, she stole one of them. We aren't contesting those charges.
[17:57:18] Miles Hyde shouts: What we're contesting is pressing four accounts of second degree murder against Ms. Tapa, because she acted in self-defense.
[17:57:36] Chester Knight shouts: Mr. Hyde.
[17:57:40] Miles Hyde shouts: The other point that I'd like to bring is that, the ballistics reports confirm that —
[17:57:45] * Chester Knight wafts his right hand, briefly.
[17:57:50] * Miles Hyde clears his throat before gazing at Chester.
[17:57:53] Miles Hyde says: Your honor?
[17:58:19] Chester Knight shouts: One thought, before you continue. Now, understanding that these are likely the same arguments we will see at trial, I want to note for the court that I will simply abridge this.
[17:59:03] Chester Knight shouts: As to the current arguments that you've made, your client illegally possessed then used a firearm in killing of four people. Let's say the DAs amended their complaint and charged them with first degree murder.
[17:59:21] Chester Knight shouts: Do you think that, given those charges, we should still be considering bail on the matter?
[18:00:14] Miles Hyde shouts: Your honor, there is a /plethora/ of murder cases where bail was given as an option under strict conditions. What I oppose is an outright denial of bail, I don't want you to make any premature judgment regarding the case. All I want is a fair -
[18:00:29] Miles Hyde shouts: - reconsideration of bail, by thorough review of the evidence. This is clearly not a prima facie case.
[18:00:32] * Chester Knight nods.
[18:00:46] Chester Knight shouts: Alright, Mr. Hyde, you were continuing with a point on the ballistic evidence, I believe.
[18:01:32] Miles Hyde shouts: Yes, your honor. The ballistics confirm that my client had shot at these people - but even then, the cause of death is not confirmed in any of these reports. Four accounts of second degree murder, that means my client murdered all of these people.
[18:01:56] Miles Hyde shouts: In the provided evidence, there were bullet trajectories of other firearms that were found in the autopsy reports.
[18:02:01] * Odell Mondale lets out a chuckle, he recrosses his legs, keeping his focus on Hyde.
[18:02:18] * Chester Knight holds a finger up to Miles, he peers at Odell.
[18:02:32] Chester Knight shouts: The prosecution shall refrain from further outbursts.
[18:02:39] Chester Knight shouts: I apologize, Mr. Hyde. Please continue.
[18:03:07] * Miles Hyde sniffs before gazing at Odell, he shakes his head - he knows he's going to beat his ass. Miles sets his gaze back at Chester, addressing him with the same confident tone.
[18:03:54] Miles Hyde shouts: The bodies of the victims sustained from gunshot wounds from other shooters, there is no way the prosecution can prematurely convince this court that Ms. Tapa killed all four people.
[18:04:18] Miles Hyde shouts: What I'm trying to establish by this point is that the evidence is not as overwhelming as suggested, there are a lot of flaws and holes that we'll unveil during the trial.
[18:04:30] * Chester Knight nods to Mr. Hyde.
[18:04:31] Miles Hyde shouts: Would you re-consider bail, your honor? Under strict conditions, that is.
[18:04:56] Chester Knight shouts: Thank you, Mr. Hyde. I'm going to briefly ask you a few questions, then give the Prosecution a chance to make a brief statement, then I'll answer that question.
[18:05:08] * Miles Hyde nods.
[18:05:43] Chester Knight shouts: Mr. Hyde, my first question is, do you think that there is evidence showing proximate cause here?
[18:05:54] Chester Knight shouts: For the sake of argument.
[18:07:08] Miles Hyde shouts: No, your honor. I think that this was a poorly-investigated incident, the motives were not established and the state is merely rushing to get a conviction. There should've been review to these charges before this case was arraigned to court.
[18:07:15] * Chester Knight nods.
[18:07:42] Chester Knight shouts: Second question. It seems that there is a possible self defense claim here, as well. Do you believe that someone, generally, has the right to claim self defense while participating in an illegal activity?
[18:09:28] Miles Hyde shouts: What I believe doesn't matter here, we can only refer to the necessity clause from our state law. Ms. Tapa did not have a legal alternative when she was actively being shot at, and she didn't cause any actions at all. A car simply rammed into the-
[18:09:52] Miles Hyde shouts: - back of her truck, four assaliants got out with guns and opened fire. My client,  using an illegal weapon, opened fire in response to save her life.
[18:10:03] * Chester Knight nods.
[18:10:08] Miles Hyde shouts: It isn't a criminal offense to defend yourself with an illegal weapon, that's a matter of possession charge.
[18:10:09] * Chester Knight clears his throat. He speaks more softly then before.
[18:10:19] Chester Knight says: Thank you, Mr. Hyde, you may be seated.

NcNW2ea.jpg

[18:10:22] Odell Mondale shouts: Objection, Your Honor, counsel is assuming facts, not in evidence! As far as I know, we don't have any evidence of a car crash presented!
[18:10:30] Chester Knight says: Overruled. 
[18:10:36] * Miles Hyde downs a nod to Chester with a faint smile, he gazes at Odell with a wide grin.
[18:10:47] Chester Knight shouts: Mr. Mondale, you may make a brief statement. However, I want to make one thing clear.
[18:11:18] * Scarlett Tapa eyes Miles while he's sitting down, flashes him a firm smile with a nod, turns her gaze towards Chester afterwards.
[18:11:25] Chester Knight shouts: The operative question here is not what bail should be or the egregious nature of the alleged crimes, it's simply if we should be considering bail in this matter.
[18:11:43] Chester Knight shouts: With that being said, please go ahead.
[18:12:04] * Odell Mondale nods his head up and down firmly, he fixes the tie on his three piece tailored suit, before he stands up. He then unbuttons his suit, and starts walking around the Courtroom while he's speaking.
[18:12:16] Chester Knight says: No, no, no.
[18:12:18] Chester Knight says: Stay there.
[18:12:24] Chester Knight says: At your table, please.
[18:12:27] Chester Knight says: Don't approach the bench.
[18:12:36] * Chester Knight immediately corrects Odell out the gate.
[18:12:55] * Miles Hyde shifts his gaze towards Odell, maintaining a faint amused smirk on his face.
[18:13:08] Chester Knight says: GO on, Mr. Mondale.
[18:13:24] Odell Mondale shouts: Your Honor, the Prosecution is glad that the Defense mentioned that the poor people who got murdered opened the fire.
[18:14:05] Odell Mondale shouts: To prove a point, Prosecution would like to file a new piece of evidence, that we prepared, for this bail hearing. On the ground, because it's important to further more prove that the bail should not be approved, as it wasn't recommended in the---

[18:14:13] Odell Mondale shouts: First place. If I may, Your Honor?
[18:14:29] Chester Knight says: Err.

Edited by Forensic
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2