[Saints News] Interview with DJ AOI

Loco

image.png.f9830b4c366b4ef3914aa8c5f3bffd93.png

interv10.png

INTERVIEW WITH DJ AOI

LOLA MENDOZA

Warm greetings, Los Santos! The long-awaited interview with DJ AOI is finally here. Per usual, Saints News always delivers its promises! For those who are uninformed, DJ AOI (Rina Lee) is Los Santos' resident DJ, a well-known one too! Her notable characteristics during her performances are the famous musical theme nights and fabulous cosplays that go along with it. Additionally, the music she plays portrays her excitement and commitment that she has for her audience. If you haven't had the chance to visit one of her thematic nights, now is the right time to consider it! You can also show your full support for DJ AOI by clicking on her Facebrowser profile -here-.

You can check the entire interview down below, with the inclusion of DJ AOI's picture.

rina10.png

RINA LEE (DJ AOI)

interv10.jpg

THE INTERVIEW

Lola: How did it all start for you, your career as a DJ?

Rina (DJ AOI): Well, it's a long story. It all started when I was fourteen. It was a bumpy road for me, as back in Seoul, where I was born and raised, I've seen the music video of my favorite band - Girls' Generation. It was called "Catch me if you can." And then, like in the cartoons, a light bulb flashed above my head and I thought "I want to be a KPop idol". So after a long debate, my parents finally agreed on it. I recorded audition tapes of me singing and dancing to this song and I got accepted by CUBE entertainment. 

Although the journey of becoming a KPop star is really, I dare to say, rough. There were plenty of training, dancing and singing classes. We were divided into dorms by gender, so there was no time whatsoever to meet with boys. Not even going to mention dating, because it's a big scandal automatically. I was doing good, graduating from class to class, since school was important to me. I practically lived like a robot. But things were going well for me. I was assigned for a girl group project including 3 other girls with me, I was "maknae" of the group, which means I was the youngest face and the main dancer. 

But during one of dance practices I did one thing I don't recommend to anyone. I jumped in the air and wanted to finish it with a split. Sounds exciting. But along with the beat of the song I've heard a cracking sound. It was my knee. I couldn't move my leg, and froze in that position. Girls and my coach immediately knew that something's wrong with me, because I didn't get up. They called for an ambulance. It turned out that I dislocated my kneecap and unfortunately, my KPop career ended with this unfortunate occurrence. After years of rehabilitation, I was still dabbling with music, recording covers on my iPhone, playing on guitar and making DJ sets. I still have everything saved on my spare hard drive.

Then I came to Los Santos intending to study at ULSA. I wanted to push my musical dreams aside, to become a programmer and work for game developers, until I came to Club Fusion with my friend. And I exactly remember that DJ RoE was on decks. I was excited for this party. I loved every second of his set, then I decided to message him on FaceBrowser, letting him know that I'm a rookie artist that would look for some guidance, and maybe he would kindly help me to kickstart my DJ career. I came to the empty club, played my first ever set in front of him, his jaw dropped, and we cooperate until today.

Lola: That is a touching story, Rina. I'm glad that you've shared it with us, also that you found inspiration elsewhere when you were met with difficulties in your life.

Who or what was your biggest inspiration?

Rina (DJ AOI): I have a lot of people who inspire me at work. First of them is John himself. He's my mentor, I treat him like my father. I know he wants the best for me and always gives me constructive criticism regarding my work whenever I ask him. Second is Kim Hyoyeon, or HYO. She belonged to Girls' Generation and started a solo career as a DJ after the band became less popular. And well, my dearest friends who always get my back. Julia, Yoona, Ari, and Chris - along with my boyfriend.

Lola: How would you describe your development as an artist?

Rina (DJ AOI): I can say that in my sets there's always room for improvement. After the gig, I always sit down, get my sheet mask on and think what I could've done better. Whether it's interaction with the crowd or my song choices. I never stand with my chin raised, thinking "oh yeah, I'm that bitch, no one is as good as me", because simply it's not true. We have a lot of talents in the City, and we, artists, love to cooperate and not compete with each other.

Lola: What is it about DJing that makes it interesting for you?

Rina (DJ AOI): That it's not boring, simple as that. Every gig is different. Different people come, every set has its main theme. I even like to push it further and even dress for an occasion, like I did with The Garden, or our themed nights at Heat, when I make an original costume idea or cosplay some of my favorite characters. So far I dressed up as Sailor Venus and Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill. I don't know why, I always like to pick strong female characters I'm dressing up as, and that's what makes people excited, the fact that there's always something fresh and unexpected when I play.

Lola: What was your first performance as a DJ like?

Rina (DJ AOI): Oh, I remember I played really safe. Most of the songs were from known artists like The Prodigy, Scooter, and ATB. I'm not saying they were bad, per se. But I was keeping myself in my comfort zone for a long time. I was afraid that people wouldn't like me if I played harder tunes, like trance or dubstep, because it's a niche - not everyone likes this type of music. But then I talked with John and Jules (owner of Bahama Mamas). They suggested that I should experiment with my sets, play harder. Blow the roof, as people like to say it.

Lola: Any particularly memorable night which you're fond of as a DJ?

Rina (DJ AOI): It's definitely my debut at Heat along with John, I was so shy. I barely touched the microphone, he then nudged me lightly and told me to relax. People started chanting my name, cheering up. I even teared up a little on stage. It was just out of this world. Having chills down my spine, my friends were there and they all group hugged me, telling me how great I did that night.

Lola: What's your routine before the beginning of a set? Any preparations?

Rina (DJ AOI): Usually it's just a normal girl routine, I lay down in a hot tub with a face mask on, get some iced tea. Patiently watching the time, then I prepare my make up, get dressed and depart. Oh, and I always get a can of cherry cola before stepping on the stage.

Lola: Can you describe your state of mind during the performance?

Rina (DJ AOI): I always try to remain calm. I put my heart and soul into the gig. It's like I'm trying to tell you the story with each set, how much I love doing this for my crowd. And I think it shows with my energy. If I would be, I don't know - depressed, or allow other unpleasantries to rule over me, it wouldn't be the same.

Lola: Speaking of, to continue onto your next answer.

The relationship with the audience is crucial for the DJ, what is your approach to it?

Rina (DJ AOI): For me, it's mandatory to cooperate with the crowd. When you just stand here, without at least bopping your head to the music you're playing, the crowd would be dead as well, and that's not the point of it. When I supervise other DJs, I always try to give them as much positive energy as possible, cheer them up, give them a piece of advice. And I can see that if people see that you're enjoying yourself, they will join you in doing the same, living their life, forgetting about problems.

Lola: I witnessed several of your gigs, and I do have to say that you're astonishingly engaging with your crowd!

Can you name one subgenre that you think it doesn't get the attention it deserves? Further on, do you have a favorite genre?

Rina (DJ AOI): Hm, I'm comfortably introducing people and getting them familiarized with trance, although they tend to express their concerns with that particular genre of music - mostly as it's something they aren't accustomed to. And I would say that's one of my favorite genres, but I'm not generalizing. I love music, it's like a band-aid for our hearts. Because it's with us for most of our lives.

Lola: Do you have any nuisances when it comes to the DJ scene?

Rina (DJ AOI): Well, only one. People think that I'm a jukebox. Screaming to me to play Madonna or something. It's not that easy to alter your whole set in five seconds and play the song they want to hear. There's an app for it, it's called Spotify, or YouTube. I may do a subtle request, but only if it fits the theme. Do you imagine playing an upbeat song, and then breaking it with, I don't know, Frank Sinatra? That would completely kill the mood of the party.

Lola: Precisely what I was thinking, too.

Rina (DJ AOI): At least you understand, that's why I love having you on my gigs.

Lola: Personal opinion on Los Santos' nightlife?

Rina (DJ AOI): Hm, I think that with our current DJ staff and clubs that have been opened, I think it's the renaissance of the city's club scene. Everyone has something to represent, every gig is different, everyone gives you another experience.

Lola: And lastly. Any advice for the aspiring DJs?

Rina (DJ AOI): Keep on trying, don't be shy to ask the DJ a few questions after the gig if you want to become a DJ yourself. We're artists, we have to understand each other, cooperate, become friends. You want to become a DJ? Sure! Everyone is different, and that's what makes the scene exciting. We're not clones. So you can't say to yourself that you're not good enough before you even try.

Stay tuned for more interesting articles in the future! As always, reach out to Saints News with any stories!

MORE FROM SAINTS

Howling Relic: Great Chaparral Mine Shaft

The Perception of Gangs

DRESS TO IMPRESS (Businesswear)

Saints News

#ForSaintsBySaints

saints-acc.png

• Upvote 3
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic