[Saints News] Blaine County Wildlife Preservation's Mission

Loco

YhJydCu.png

bcwp10.png

BLAINE COUNTY WILDLIFE PRESERVATION - INTERVIEW WITH AMI HUDSPETH

BY LOLA MENDOZA

"The greatness in humanity is not in being human, but being humane."

Good day people of Los Santos! Yesterday I had the honors of meeting Mrs. Hudspeth in person here at Saints News. For those who are unaware, Mrs. Hudspeth and her husband, William Hudspeth, founded an environment-based, non-profitable organization that focuses on preserving our wildlife - Blaine County Wildlife Preservation. They have their Facebrowser page, for those interested to check, with additional info and tons of guidance when it comes to interacting with nature. 

Here's the transcript of the interview we did together yesterday, I'm certain that you're more than eager to read what Mrs. Hudspeth had to say on her behalf.

"Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land."

stagde10.jpg

THE INTERVIEW

Lola: Could you tell us of the history of Blaine County Wilderness Preservation, how was it initially founded and what were your goals?

Ami: Phew... It's a long story. My mother was a veterinarian. I grew up in Paleto Bay and our house was like a barnyard. I was always surrounded by animals and nature. We all practically lived outside. It is how I initially met my husband, William. He was a Ranger for the Blaine County Sherrif's Department before they merged with the Los Santos Police Department. We actually had our first date up Mount Gordo... where we discussed our mutual love of animals and nature. I hate saying the word 'destiny', but something definitely brought us together to make BCWP happen. It's weird, you know? When we first came up with the idea, I was running a small clothing store up on the Great Northern Highway. Coincidentally, right next to my husband's business "Hang-Ten". Again, it seemed like the stars aligned and we were -forced- to meet each other. We both had dreams, we both had a passion to make a difference and now we're finally in a position to try and do something about it.

Kalyani: That's a very nice story.

Lola: Touching too, if I may add.

How do you feel about the future of Blaine County Wilderness Preservation?

Ami: Positive. We've been in discussion with Mayor Rockford and acting Chief of Police Charles Hughes. We had two meetings so far and things are progressing nicely. We have big aims and plans, but obviously there are laws in place that we need to work to work around and change before we can become exactly what we aim to be.

Lola: I'm happy to hear that, Mrs. Hudspeth. Hopefully everything turns out for the better.

Ami: We hope so too.

Lola: When you take a look at Blaine County Wilderness today, how satisfied are you with the work you've accomplished since its foundation?

Ami: Extremely satisfied, although we're dependant on Mayor Rockford and the Government in order to pursue our goals further on. Currently, we're working on relocating the animal breeding grounds across Blaine County to a more secluded area. We're expecting that project to be completed by the end of two-thousand-twenty-one. We're also opening up a new surgery and clinic center soon, where we will be able to offer free medical care to all animals in San Andreas. Whether they are domestic or wildlife. Free vaccinations, check-ups, medical care, surgery. Whatever required, we'll provide it, free of charge.

We're also looking to establish laws in regards to fishing and hunting. Currently, our streams and rivers are being drained of marine life by the constant fishing that's happening. Especially around Sandy Shores. We want to enforce a catch-limit and even a licensing process. Our oceans have plenty of marine life, but towards Banham Canyon and Sandy Shores, marine life is being depleted at a rapid rate which is worrying. Same goes for hunting licenses. We're trying to get a place where we can enforce stricter hunting permits and licenses. Just last night we found a dead buck that had been shot down by a crossbow illegally.

We have a lot of concerns regarding the patrolling of Blaine County currently. The LSPD, as you know, do an incredible job at keeping Los Santos safe. But their resources are stretched thin towards the county side and we want to act as a small support network up there, where we can assist the LSPD by using the off-road vehicles a helicopter that we have access to. All to keep Blaine County safe. Our main goal is to work effortlessly with Mayor Rockford to once again establish the Park Rangers. Our goal is to turn Blaine County Wilderness Preservation into the Blaine County Park Ranger Department. That would give us the legal right to detain and respond to any crime in our national parks where our jurisdiction grants us such. Mainly the mountains, forests and canyons. Where regular police activity isn't as efficient.

We're also trying to set up an agreement to perform all the medical care that's necessary for the LSPD K9 Unit. Being able to respond to any situation required where one of their hounds may be injured or sick. We've already started providing check-ups for some of the dogs that they have by giving them a DHLPP vaccination. Again, we wish to make this a legal process that all pet owners in the city must abide by, so we can ensure that diseases and illnesses do not spread due to animals not being vaccinated accordingly.

Lola: Humble, yet heroic and absolutely necessary act. All of it.

Ami: We do not aim to be seen as heroic. We just want to spread awareness throughout the state of San Andreas and hopefully make a difference. Preserving our wildlife and natural environment so that our kids and their kids can embrace it as much as we do.

Lola: I have a feeling that you're going to work wonders on the people of Los Santos with this.

Ami: I hope so. We've hit a brick wall with progression at the moment. The more support we gather, the more we can attempt and convince Mayor Rockford - who, I must say, for all the negative backlash he sometimes receives, has been absolutely incredible. He understands what our goal is, but obviously, laws are in place for a reason. The more support we gain from the people of San Andreas and the more positive feedback there is, the better our chances are of bringing a designated Park Rangers team back. I'd welcome anyone to reach out to our Government and offer their support to the cause. The more people we can rally, the better our chances are at making a difference. We're all part of this State, let's preserve it as best we can.

Lola: Optimistically, this interview will help bring the awareness.

Ami: I hope so, I really do. My husband and I are extremely passionate about this. We do not make any profit out of it, we fund it ourselves.

Lola: That is evident, Mrs. Hudspeth.

Ami: People have kindly donated, but it's not a requirement. We just want to be able to help the State of San Andreas to the best of our capabilities. And we believe in ourselves and the people! We know that we can do this, we just need the tools from the Government to do it. I don't want to wake up in a world where we are surrounded by skyscrapers. We have access to one of the most beautiful countrysides in the world, right at our doorstep. If my husband and I can make a difference, we're going to try as hard as we can. Bring back the Park Rangers, put your faith in us. We will not disappoint you, that's a promise.

Lola: How many people do you have on your team?

Ami: Right now, there is just me and my husband. The plan is to establish a small team of five to six people, if our agreement with Mayor Rockford comes into motion.

Lola: And what are the requirements for someone who potentially seeks to volunteer for Blaine County Wilderness Preservation?

Ami: Currently, our volunteer program has no requirements. But if we're able to push our goals through and establish the Park Rangers as an official agency, then we will have an academy. That is already settled and in motion, we're only awaiting the Government's approval. The academy is split into two sections. First is weapons, conduct, and field safety. Second is animal welfare. There is an examination process included.

Lola: What is the best approach when dealing with an aggressive, or frightened animal?

Ami: The aim is to never euthanize an animal unless it's absolutely necessary. I have submitted a guide on Facebrowser for surviving a mountain lion attack. We carry legal CO2 based IM tranquilizer rifles and will always attempt to put the troubled animal to sleep, so we can transport them to safety. We do have events, however, where we may have to put an animal down. That series of events can happen for numerous reasons. An example is when we had received a call regarding a lost mountain lion in an abandoned motel, near Sandy Shores. We simply couldn't risk it for the animal to run into town. A decision was then made to euthanize it. A process that's handled via a shot through the heart with a high caliber rifle.

Should you come across an aggressive animal, the best thing you can do is to make yourself appear bigger. Be noisy and do -NOT- play dead. Animals are extremely territorial, especially near their nest or their breeding grounds. We're going to publish leaflets soon, indicating where all known breeding grounds are located and we implore people to read it to ensure that they are not caught in a place which could endanger them, If you're unfortunate enough to run into an aggressive animal, make yourself big, make a lot of noise and grab anything you can to defend yourself. Never turn your back on them, if the situation forces you to fight - you fight. Traveling in groups is an advantage. And once you believe you're safe - keep going. Call us immediately, we have access to an aerial unit for extreme cases - granting us a swift response for extreme cases. We can also issue a Tetanus shot if you happen to suffer from a puncture wound. We're here twenty-four seven to help and guide you, do not hesitate to call us.

Lola: Do you have a sanctuary for the endangered species, or a sanctuary for animals that were either injured or abused by other people?

Ami: We did have. We're waiting on a building permit to relocate our sanctuary to the Beaver Bush Ranger Station. That should take a few days, but it will include an animal housing and shelter. We currently have nine stray dogs in our care. It's just slightly chaotic at this moment. Hopefully, with the permit on its way, we'll have the opportunity to create a wonderful environment for any animal in our care. "

Lola: And lastly, how would you encourage the people of San Andreas to be more cautious of their environment.

Ami: Just use your head, really. If you're on the trails, be wary of animals and hikers. If you have an animal, bring them by for a check-up. If you see a stray animal, call us immediately. If you see litter on the ground, dispose of it in the recycling bin. I don't want to get preachy, but a lot of it is plain simple, common sense. Camping has been popular up Mount Gordo lately, which we love and encourage. But be sure to pick up everything on your leave. We recently had a treatment of a mountain lion that had sliced its paw on a can of beer. Same goes for our beaches, the beach parties are wonderful. Bringing the community together on a clean Vespucci beach. Just ensure to keep it that way after the party has been concluded. We're living in a generation where we get to walk out on our doorsteps and embrace the wilderness which surrounds us. We want to be able to share that with everyone, including our children.

Additionally, Mrs. Hudspeth and her husband have managed to successfully obtain The Beaver Bush Station, which is a step in the right direction in terms of progression! Do not hesitate to contact them for all things nature-oriented!

SAINTS NEWS

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic