[Saints News] The Whistleblower: Anonymous Slander

borhoi

YhJydCu.png

The Whistleblower: Anonymous Slander

Haley Niamh Connor

There's been a recent resurgence in the "submit your anonymous gossip" trend on FaceBrowser due to "the Whistleblower". The new page encourages its viewers to, "Tell us anything you want other people to know regarding pretty much anything. It can be a joke, a secret of yours or even of another person, or your words of wisdom you wish to get out there. We are waiting on your word."

This can sound fun at first glance. Post some petty gossip you don't want your name attached to, get a confession off your chest, make a joke. On paper it's not a revolutionary or big idea. However, in practice, the Whistleblower and other pages like it have the ability to turn very toxic very fast. I think we've passed that threshold by now. Allegations ranging from sexual promiscuity all the way to murder are being made and all done behind a wall of absolute anonymity. The page uses a Google forms template that allows users to post their comments without even the page's admin knowing their identity.

pCqTRJP.png

Shameless of me, I know. But hey, it's about the only nice thing that's been said about me on the page. Let me enjoy it. That's a decent example of something innocuous being thrown up. Just someone's opinion about my looks. Probably someone who isn't compelled to pursue me or do anything past making a simple comment.

n20RwN0.png

And that's where this type of page goes wrong. These are murder allegations. These sorts of things shouldn't be posted as gossip for all to read. Regardless of if someone truly believes what they're saying, it's a huge and life-changing allegation to make against a person. If it's something a viewer is concerned about, the police are a much better source to tip-off than the gossip page on FaceBrowser.

Then there's another question. Why is whoever runs this page deciding to run these posts? The admin might not know who said what, but they're firmly in control of the content they actually choose to share.

ZFg2Ct9.png

IEx6OkQ.png

I've blacked out names and other pertinent details to not give this toxicity another platform to affect peoples' lives. If you care to see, go look for yourself. It's clear to see the problem here, though. These are all indecent and offensive things to say about someone backed up with no evidence behind the protective walls of 100% anonymity. Anyone could say anything they like and have it posted.

So what's to stop someone from posting completely false rumors about another, over and over again, posing as different people even? What's to stop someone from posting about themselves to manufacture a controversy or drum up publicity? Nothing - because whoever runs this page doesn't care if they're posting slander. Someone else said it, they're just the messenger, right? I'd say no. These rumors can legitimately gain traction and ruin lives, and they can hit the ground running with a widely viewed platform, submitted by anybody who feels like saying anything they want on a whim.

Since the page's administrator doesn't seem keen on being selective with the content he or she chooses to run, and FaceBrowser's administration team is silent as always, the onus is shifted to the rest of us to think before we submit something. If something is put up and people choose to believe it, the truth stops mattering and there's nothing the effected party can do to stop the consequences. Consequences for something they didn't do. I don't like to deal in objective rights and wrongs, but I think this is pretty close to being objectively wrong.

Saints News

The opinions expressed in this piece do not reflect the opinions of Saints News as a whole, but those of its author Haley Niamh Connor.

saints-acc.png

Edited by borhoi
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic