The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

1 hour ago, Ronnie two poles said:

snip snip

Okay so, I'll start by highlighting some of the key things (I've seen and can cover) and explain them briefly as to why it is the way it is.

By the way I play Kenneth Roberts in the LSPD.

"A lot of pursuits are called off IRL, what do you mean it requires confidence? You look down at the GPS in the lower left corner and you say the direction and street name...it's not rocket science. It doesn't require a bachelors to use common sense to not drive recklessly, it's a video game after all and I understand the aspect of realism, but again people have been doing this for years and it's something that can be firmly introduced in a better thought out manual not some course. You're over complicating things that aren't really that hard to understand. You can sum up pursuits into a few quick sentences and monkey see monkey do, people will understand that it's not that deep lol. "

Okay so you are correct, a lot of them do get called off because they are simply put a danger not just to the officer(s) but the general public, now we move onto the updating part. Now being someone who personally loves updating (you can ask almost anyone and they can tell you this is true.). Once I first joined the faction, I was a snowflake people did not know who the fuck I was, nor did I know people were, with like 10-20 plus people in almost every pursuit (I'm sticking to pursuits for this example) that you have not spoken to or seen once in your life, updating can indeed be stressful and quite hard. When I first did it, I shit you not I was genuinely scared to talk, I felt like a little kid that was frightenened, it is genuinely somewhat scary if you have not done it in such an environment. But as time moved on, I got to know people, people got to know me and I now personally love updating, and have zero issues with it. To also add as to why it might be stressful, you are not just updating, you're also driving and trying to control both when you're talking to like 10 people you don't know can be quite hard.

Now lets move onto the aspect of "Not driving recklessly" as you've put it, this when your chasing someone, is really easy to say to someone, but then when you find yourself in said scenario, you forget about it and just do your business as usual, this is stressed upon in one of the course you have to parttake in let it be known as "Red Mist" or "Tunnel Vision", you focus too much on chasing the vehicle at hand, that you just forget how to do everything else. So I don't have to explain to you what these are, I'll provide a little picture for you, (you can easily find these terms for yourself by simply googling them. Go HERE for explanation on these.

Now onto this part of what you've said: "It doesn't require a bachelors to use common sense to not drive recklessly, it's a video game after all and I understand the aspect of realism, but again people have been doing this for years and it's something that can be firmly introduced in a better thought out manual not some course."

Now being someone who hates reading manuals for whatever that might be, a course is easier to manage, and easier to teach because of the contact you have with people, with you being able to do it through examples and such. Now let's say that an existing course that's in place here at the LSPD is told to be scrapped and that everything that was done in-game is to be moved to the manual, including things that weren't included. That would not only take time and effort, but people would have to sacrifice quite a bit of their personal time to do said thing, so just putting said statement in action will not be that easy.

Onto the last part of your statement "You're over complicating things that aren't really that hard to understand. You can sum up pursuits into a few quick sentences and monkey see monkey do, people will understand that it's not that deep lol."

Now then, let's just look at the pursuit protocol we have in place, it is the most straight forward thing there is (to me at least) but it might not be that way for everyone, so whilst it might seem that it is overcomplicated, it's probably just been done in a very detailed manner, that's relatively hard to read, as is the case with a few things in the PD but that's besides the point. They are simple to learn but it's not as simple as you have put it "Monkey see monkey do"

we do aim to provide a sense of realism, and following these pursuit protocols is what sort of makes this not turn into a cops and robbers server everytime there's an active pursuit.

I have missed a good amount, but that's my fair share for your statement, I'm open to any questions.

23 hours ago, Ronnie two poles said:

Hello, a current new member of the faction speaking.  To be honest, it's lackluster, frustrating - and just outright boring. So I thought I'd give some transparency to the community about how I think the faction could be improved. Before I go into detail about everything, I know there will be people that will ask me:

snip

As the head of Field Training in the PD, I will be looking into this with my team at great length to ensure your points are addressed. I am with you and want to make sure new members have a good experience. You have my word on that.

• Upvote 1

I hope so, a lot of people say they're going to do a lot of great things, but it just gets swept under the rug. In the least selfish way, that update could dictate my resignation or progression in the faction, along with other community members even wanting to join. Keep us posted, Chiky. 

Edited by Ronnie two poles

As a police officer IRL, few things I'd like to mention;

- as a few people mentioned already, things in LSPD are a bit too overreacted - lots of unnecessary work, etc.

The roleplay is pretty decent, the stuff that happen are pretty fair, but for me it lacks the whole game aspect. It looks a bit forced to me, tons of paperwork associated with different activities (while yes, IRL i fill documents much more for an arrest than you guys do here IG), the whole "go home, play and relax" aspect is a little bit gone.

I however give big thumbs up to the running courts and the whole judicial system right now as it brings a massive change to police roleplay as well, which ends up with officers acting much differently now and more realistic than they used to before.

Then we have the longest lasting issue which is just police officers not being interested in rping standard calls (car accidents, broken in to cars, petty crimes, etc), rather focusing on shootouts and pursuits. But yeah, I understand that part too, because from all the writing and work you do back-end, you want to hop in game and have some fun.

a curious question, though-...are you guys expecting to begin roleplaying bodycams any time soon?

Edited by zaXer.
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Ronnie two poles said:

I hope so, a lot of people say they're going to do a lot of great things, but it just gets swept under the rug. In the least non selfish way, that update could dictate my resignation or progression in the faction, along with other community members even wanting to join. Keep us posted, Chiky. 

there's a thread in pd forums now where most of the stuff you've mentioned has been brought up to attention and hopefully it gets noticed and resolved.

we, I, hope that this gets resolved.  

On 10/27/2020 at 2:47 AM, zaXer. said:

a curious question, though-...are you guys expecting to begin roleplaying bodycams any time soon?

I know I am not a part of the LSPD, but I think that my position as a legal faction leader can shed some insight regardless:

There are no current plans to do this to preserve some sort of balance, while dash camera can be used at an LEO's convenience (with shadowplay to show what happened) we believe keeping that feature away from officers / deputies on foot may be best to ensure not every tiny action witnessed by a cop gets saved, posted and turned into a warrant.

This is my opinion (and in extension, the other law enforcement faction's stance) on the matter. I am also not aware of any wider plans to make this a thing and would personally argue against it for the given reasons.

Edited by lambchops
On 10/27/2020 at 12:47 PM, zaXer. said:

Then we have the longest lasting issue which is just police officers not being interested in rping standard calls (car accidents, broken in to cars, petty crimes, etc), rather focusing on shootouts and pursuits. 

This is interesting to me. Is that actually a problem on this server? I attempted to roleplay in police factions twice on LS-RP and both times I ended up being turned off the whole thing by a complete lack of regular calls. My experience was basically cops and robbers with detailed emotes. It didn't feel like an authentic police experience at all.

So it's curious to hear that people are apparently turned off those calls on GTA World.

• Upvote 1

I can imagine a lot of people seeking action and the interesting stuff (pursuits, shootouts...) over the "boring" standard calls like a traffic collision. It might also be tied to the paperwork to be filled out after, though I do not have an in-sight into how the Law Enforcement Factions roleplay and handle paperwork internally. I heard everything from barely any paperwork to paper pushing back and forth and filing reports on everything.

As for LS-RP, yeah, it has been a glorified cops and robbers from time. I was glad if there were some standard calls to be handled from time rather than just dealing with yet another shootout in Idlewood or vehicle pursuit all the time. Maybe someone in one of the Law Enforcement factions can shine a light on standard calls, if they are being handled or if that is a present issue on this server.

7 hours ago, Large Hazard said:

This is interesting to me. Is that actually a problem on this server? I attempted to roleplay in police factions twice on LS-RP and both times I ended up being turned off the whole thing by a complete lack of regular calls. My experience was basically cops and robbers with detailed emotes. It didn't feel like an authentic police experience at all.

So it's curious to hear that people are apparently turned off those calls on GTA World.

That user's statement couldn't be the furthest from the truth. This is why people that haven't experienced the faction in this community shouldn't just spit untruthful facts and giving other people a wrong idea. Now getting to the point we deal with all kinds of calls, we have a traffic division that handles MVA's, we respond respond to crimes of any nature, if no units take a 911 call the supervisor on duty will assign them to it. Now the issue at hand is that most of the calls we get are shootouts and we have constant pursuits because people decide to evade over a minor traffic infraction most of the time. When we respond to those kinda of calls the supervisor will call it when no more units are necessary so all of our resources don't get tied to one scene. I must say again, please do not take into consideration opinions from someone that hasn't experienced the faction in the first place. I hope you give LSPD a chance and see it for yourself! Cheers.

Edited by RoamPT
1 hour ago, RoamPT said:

That user's statement couldn't be the furthest from the truth. This is why people that haven't experienced the faction in this community shouldn't just spit untruthful facts and giving other people a wrong idea. Now getting to the point we deal with all kinds of calls, we have a traffic division that handles MVA's, we respond respond to crimes of any nature, if no units take a 911 call the supervisor on duty will assign them to it. Now the issue at end is that most of the calls we get are shootouts and we have constant pursuits because people decide to evade over a minor traffic infraction most of the time. When we respond to those kinda of calls the supervisor will call it when no more units are necessary so all of our resources don't get tied to one scene. I must say again, please do not take into consideration opinions from someone that hasn't experienced the faction in the first place. I hope you give LSPD a chance and see it for yourself! Cheers.

Fair enough. I always assumed police roleplay would be more enjoyable here anyway because civilian characters actually exist, so you'd actually get more regular kinds of calls than just shootouts and pursuits.

• Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic