The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

On 4/18/2020 at 8:09 PM, Kenshi Haroku said:

The thing is though, I'll be fully honest here. I "play to win". Depending on the situation, I'll do the best I can to come out on top. Francly, who wants to play a game, and play to lose? What is wrong with having a mindset where you want to give it your all? If someone breaks the law, the general consensus is you'll do whatever it takes to get away or at the very least, submit and try to make a deal. Alternatively, on the other side of the fence, what do you expect a police officer or a sheriffs deputy to do when they see you break the law? Help me understand what exactly is wrong with said attitude? 

Sorry posted this last night and got off shortly after.. I applaud the honesty and I agree somewhat I feel like I might've made it unclear.

My issue isn't neccessarily with someone trying to come out "On-top" so to speak in any given situation, obviously everyone wants to build assets and have a accomplished character and no one really wants to lose/die ect but there are players out there that are specifically all about the winning so much so to the point that it's toxic for others and this is visible from both sides.

I've seen great people roleplaying on both the criminal side and the law enforcement side, but there's also a population of folk that really don't care about how they effect others or impact a scene as it's just win win win, my original post was aimed more at the posts just before mine more than being aimed specifically at PD/SD, i'm a big fan of having casual interactions with LEO's.

I've been guilty of play-to-win in the past as i've roleplayed for years, and also been under-educated in the past on a lot of situations (and will probably continue to be) but that seems to be the biggest problems IMO, play-to-win attitudes or people not understanding how the two sides should interact or be portrayed.

Hello everyone. To bring this back on topic & to show you some results of what has been discussed on this thread, what has been discussed internally & what we have come up with ourselves, here are a few things we've recently done to improve our faction.

Reworking recruitment

I'm writing this as I'm finalizing the recruitment process, but the front end is already very much done and something I can link here. I took a little inspiration from what the Sheriffs Department did with their recruitment process, which is setting the bar & making clear expectations from the very start. You can find an example of this in the topic I just posted in our general recruitment area here: https://lspd.gta.world/viewtopic.php?f=1195&t=32613&p=160762#p160762 

As you can see this topic is completely OOC, which was intentional. Something we've always lacked besides the obvious RP testing during our recruitment phase is actually explaining to potential applicants what it is that we expect from them coming into the faction.

We have removed the in game academy because we felt it wasn't working as intended. People that hit the ''academy stage'' of our recruitment are now given a plethora of OOC resources to give them an idea of what the academy process would be like and how it would affect their character, while being given IC resources to serve as a replacement for classes they would have received attending the academy. Although the LSPD manual remains a big resource for people doing the exam, they will be substituted by materials in video form to give form to how those policies would apply in an in the field context.

Knowledge

A few days ago one of my Deputy Chiefs, @Sam2, finished what he likes to refer to as ''Hanlon's handbook'' or as it's officially known the Peace Officer Standards Handbook, which is a well and truly in depth piece of writing on the deeper procedural questions and ethics that come to play in day-to-day events that police officers come across. This also forms the basis for our new handbook system, which is now 8 parts rich. The next few volumes have already been written and are a-waiting proof reading so they can be rolled out in the days to come.

One chief complaint (whether warranted or not) has been that either we have not provided the right resources for people to study, or that people lack knowledge. In combination with our new Field Training Program we are currently working around the clock to provide more resources both in character (how-to guides, more in depth reading) and out of character (roleplaying an American law enforcement officer, passive roleplay, etc) resources for people to study and refer to during their time in the faction.

Field Training

As of last Academy drive we have completely redone our field training program from the ground up. What used to be a simplistic system of constant evaluation now has evolved into something much more then just that. The emphasis has returned to senior officers functioning as teachers within the game where they instruct their rookies on a giant list of subjects they need to cover while in training, rather then file mile-long reports after the end of a patrol that the rookie never gets to read RE a select few skills that we asked them to be graded on. This goes coupled with a team that is dedicated to do the actual evaluating, to ensure the evaluations that are done are of high standard and most importantly consistent. The work that the Field Training Program Management Team (as they are called) has been putting in the past few months has been absolutely vital to evolving the faction to where it should be.

Passive Roleplay

Passive roleplay may be the last on this list but it's certainly not the least. Over the past few months the leadership team of my faction has been discussing our goals for 2020, but as it happens passive roleplay (and by extent roleplay quality) is our biggest concern and priority. Although we feel like our faction has been moving in the right direction, we don't feel like we are where we want to be and that we, as a leadership team, have not in the past placed enough emphasis on providing support and materials in this area. 

Passive roleplay is not just something I can take two paragraphs to explain, nor can I even explain what my plan is on doing with it. The simple reason for that is that I don't have the solution. I don't have a one-two-three step plan on how to improve it. What I do have is a list of long term goals and a list of short term ways to improve it, and as time progresses I want to re-evaluate where we're at and sit down with faction members in general during our Chiefs hours (monthly open Q&A sessions)

Anyway I digress, this week I've started with two initiatives: first and foremost, at a supervisor level we have started a discussion (involving non supervisor American players) about how to introduce proper Americanization to the faction. Due to our large European player base it is sometimes difficult to get properly immersed in playing someone of an entirely different background when there is little to use as an example. Combined with our American players (and supervisors) we are starting an initiative to provide more support for people in terms of personal guidance, written guides & video material to help people achieve those goals.

Furthermore, I've started by implementing more individual guidance on roleplay quality in certain individual chains of command. This is through both observing the officers that directly work under you if you are in any way shape or form part of a command structure or play a more senior role, and having people readily available to provide feedback to those who ask. So it's a combination of both taking initiative and being reactive, because one adds to the other and vice versa.

Last but not least as was referenced just before me, we've put out a reminder regarding passive roleplay, which you can see here:

image.thumb.png.fcf3bed614def2e3b7b7655a3fb6b873.png

Now although these steps may seem small, please mind that this is only what has been done in the past few days. Everything that we had in place before this aside, I am massively ramping up both the attention we pay to these subjects and what we can do internally to improve it. Some things will be easy to explain & for you to witness, such as those things I've referenced above, but others may be more difficult to see the benefit because they require intimate knowledge of how the faction works to see the effect. Regardless, I aim to keep you guys informed as well as I can. I know it's been a while since one of these updates came out, but I hope it helps you see that we are indeed actively working on improving our faction every single day.

As a closing note, I appreciate the positive comments me and the faction receive both in these threads and in private. It's always awesome to hear that you had great interactions with my members, and for those that have messaged me in the past, I promise you that I passed it on to the people you were speaking to me about, who genuinely appreciated receiving such great words of praise.

Edited by Big_Smokes
  • Upvote 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Applaud 5
  • Keane locked this topic
  • Nervous unlocked this topic

If you have any concerns about any harassment in the community, bring it up privately to administrators. Don't maliciously try to ruin someone's else reputation by spreading false rumors through fake new accounts and behind a VPN. We'll be removing the entire discussion about it as it was unfortunately targeted by malicious people. If anyone has legit problems, please contact the administration directly.

• Thanks 1

Police Officers have their assets evaluated by members in the command or staff team. If there are any unrealistic assets owned by an officer, the LSPD has been really good about handling these situations. As well, if something is missed, LFM and RPQT keep an eye on all legal factions in regards to assets and RP quality. If you find something that seems a bit off for that officer, feel free to message anyone in the LSPD command or staff team.

I'll be honest though, I am unreasonably bothered by the amount of people who park along the street north and west of Mission Row Station when there are two parking lots one block north and south of the damn place. It makes the whole HQ look super messy and cluttered on the best of days. it's not like it's illegal, but mUh AeStHeTiCs.

Edited by Exploits
2 minutes ago, Exploits said:

I'll be honest though, I am unreasonably bothered by the amount of people who park along the street north and west of Mission Row Station when there are two parking lots one block north and south of the damn place. It makes the whole HQ look super messy and cluttered on the best of days. it's no like it's illegal, but mUh AeStHeTiCs.

Mission Row is a patrol station, not our headquarters. The headquarters building is in Vespucci.

As for Mission Row, we used to have parking prohibition signs around & try to encourage faction members to park in the garage next to it, but afaik the parking signs are still gone (they were removed along with a ton of other exterior mapping at the time) so civilians don't really care and just park wherever. Nothing we can do ICly to enforce this atm.

edit: apparently they've returned. Need to look into this!

Edited by Big_Smokes
Just now, Exploits said:

I'll be honest though, I am unreasonably bothered by the amount of people who park along the street north and west of Mission Row Station when there are two parking lots one block north and south of the damn place. It makes the whole HQ look super messy and cluttered on the best of days. it's no like it's illegal, but mUh AeStHeTiCs.

We can't force people to change this, unfortunately. HQ and Mission Row are different places. But I know what you're talking about. The building south of Mission Row is a city GOV building, it's a district building. The lot north of it is small, but I'd personally love to see it used more

As for LSPD VHQ, I know there is atleast one car lot that we can use nearby, but it comes down to not being able to force people to choose where they park.

I know for civilians there's no recourse, and that's why I mentioned "it's not illegal" (also, again, this is nitpicky anyway). I'd just like to see it encouraged a bit more within the faction itself, because it's certainly not all civilians parking around the building and I know we can organize it better and make MRS look less like an open nightclub.

8 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

There’s a huge parking garage next to the PD just north of it.

eh~ I wouldn't call it huge. I think it holds something like twenty cars, if. I'm gonna go check it out, actually. Some of the spots are taken up by game world construction objects and a ramp, ostensibly to make wicked jumps over the station in singleplayer.

Edit: The rooftop parking lot north of MRS can comfortably hold 15 cars. It would still make a difference either way. The one to the south, which is nicer and covered, holds 21.

Edited by Exploits
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic