Would you prefer Fantasy or Original cars.

vray

Would you prefer Fantasy or IRL cars  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well if admins are saying we can't RP a Jester as a Supra then so be it.

Use the brands that the game has already, no need to bring IRL brands into the server.

With that being said, the phone names would need to be changed to more lore-friendly versions.

It shouldn't be, phones are IRL versions but cars shouldn't be etc.

Either or, not both.

Edited by Jura

There is also a catch about naming cars from the GTA universe after IRL models. No vehicles in GTA V are a 1:1 copy of a real life car. Like the 8F Drafter, it takes elements from the 2018 Audi RS5 Coupe,  Ford Falcon, BMW M4 CS, etc. I'm all for the lore here

20 hours ago, Jura said:

Well if admins are saying we can't RP a Jester as a Supra then so be it.

Use the brands that the game has already, no need to bring IRL brands into the server.

With that being said, the phone names would need to be changed to more lore-friendly versions.

It shouldn't be, phones are IRL versions but cars shouldn't be etc.

Either or, not both.

I always thought admins encouraged/allowed roleplaying ig cars as irl models. Doesn't make sense to me as cars in the game are not 1:1 and perform very differently to their real life counterparts. After all, a lot of the cars in game are mutts of various cars in the real world.

It's much like calling a (white) American a European. Similar, but very different.

I personally think the phones should remain how they are, we don't need ALL rl brands to be removed, If you want ALL GTA 5 Brands, go play GTA Online or something. But personally to me makes no sense for people to be allowed to roleplay one real life thing/brand/organisation (A sureno gang or MS-13 for example, as opposed to choosing from Vagos/Aztecas/Marabunta) but be disallowed from roleplaying other real life things such as iPhones, certain types of cars and/or certain types of alcohol.

What difference does it make if somebody roleplays drinking a 40oz of Olde English 800 or a 40oz of Pisswasser? The only difference is the words used to described what's being consumed by the character. I have no idea whatsoever how it affects anybody's immersion, quite honestly? It fucks with my immersion when people go around mentioning places like California/New York in the IC chat, but u don't see me making thread after thread about this on the forums.

People act as if we're roleplaying in singleplayer or something instead of roleplaying characters on a heavy roleplay server that supposedly emulates real life. This whole continuity thing makes no sense to me and quite honestly is a waste of the admin team's time. Not to shit on anybody's work, but we could have the server's management focusing on actual issues with the server such as how unstable it is as of lately, or they could be focusing on punishing actual rulebreaks, not worrying about whether or not a player roleplays having an iPhone or an iFruit, or drinks corona or cerveza barracho.

Phones should be kept as RL brands as the admins originally scripted it, makes no sense to change it now. Shit like alcohol and weapons should be left up to the player to roleplay, Cars should be kept to strictly ingame names, though.

Chevrolet = Declasse

Ford = Vapid

The list goes on.

Edited by wicked iraheta
On 8/7/2019 at 9:42 AM, vray said:

You are not RPing GTA.. You are RPIng the real world.. From gangs to ethnicities, to business.

Wrong. We are role-playing realism within the GTA universe, which is loosely based on the real world. Los Angeles doesn't exist from your character's point of view. If businesses and gangs want to start up, they very well can, as long as it is within the in-character GTA universe. There is no lore or rule preventing them from doing so.

Your point about phones not having an in-character name/brand, I agree with you there. I feel this should be corrected in some way to reflect in-character brands and not those in real life. That is kind of going against they are trying to convey as strictly in-game lore.

I will preface this next part with the fact that this is supposedly considered a strict/heavy RP server:

Role-playing brands that don't exist outside of the GTA Universe is immersion breaking because you are essentially taking OOC information and applying it to your character's knowledge in-game. This is meta gaming basically. Los Santos is not Los Angeles. It's the real life counterpart, which is essentially OOC information because we know Los Santos isn't real. However, Los Angeles doesn't exist in your character's mind, it's Los Santos. Your character would have no knowledge of brands such as Mercedes, BMW, Tesla, Corona, Heineken, so on and so forth. It's Vapid or Declasse or Pisswasser, etc. There is an in-character counterpart for these companies and they should be used as that it is what your character would know growing up in the GTA universe. This is non-negotiable, especially in a heavy RP server.

Now if there is something that is not represented in the lore or not mentioned, that can be left up to interpretation so long as it fits within the GTA universe. People who complain about being "restricted" in their role play in these instances, in my opinion, are simply wrong. The GTA Universe exists and the information within it should be used. If there is no information available to be used as a reference point, then it's left up to the discretion of the role player and the lore established within this server.

Edited by Kestalas
31 minutes ago, Kestalas said:

Your point about phones not having an in-character name/brand, I agree with you there. I feel this should be corrected in some way to reflect in-character brands and not those in real life. That is kind of going against they are trying to convey as strictly in-game lore.

or people could just allow players to roleplay how/what they want without trying to dictate what exists and what doesn't constantly, simply because it doesn't fit their view of how things should be. Maybe not everybody here wants to roleplay GTA 5 singleplayer.

Role-playing brands that don't exist outside of the GTA Universe is immersion breaking because you are essentially taking OOC information and applying it to your character's knowledge in-game. This is meta gaming basically. 

So it's metagaming to use a real life brand that you actually know something about, as opposed to an ingame brand which was made up to parody/make fun of said real life brand? You're basically pushing realism within the 'GTA Universe' but expect us to roleplay and take brand names like 'Pisswasser' seriously. No, my character doesn't drink Pisswasser. He drinks Corona, Modelo and Olde English 800/Mickey's.

Los Santos is not Los Angeles. It's the real life counterpart, which is essentially OOC information because we know Los Santos isn't real. However, Los Angeles doesn't exist in your character's mind, it's Los Santos

Atleast we agree on something.

Now if there is something that is not represented in the lore or not mentioned, that can be left up to interpretation so long as it fits within the GTA universe. People who complain about being "restricted" in their role play in these instances, in my opinion, are simply wrong. The GTA Universe exists and the information within it should be used. If there is no information available to be used as a reference point, then it's left up to the discretion of the role player and the lore established within this server.

The information within the GTA Universe is limited and they haven't made an ingame counterpart for EVERYTHING, which does in fact make things rather restricted if you actually think about it for a moment. In real life there's countless different types of phones, on GTA 5 there's literally three.  In real life there's literally hundreds upon thousands of different types of alcohol, On GTA 5, there's ten (at most). What if my character wanted to drink a Modelo Especial? There's no ingame counterpart for that, nor is there for the other 1000 brands/types of alcohol I could name right now.

I don't see a point in restricting everybody's roleplay to the blatant ridiculousness of GTA 5 / GTA Online when we could simply be portraying Los Santos as if it's a real world city, which in my opinion would suit the whole 'heavy roleplay' theme a lot more.

Edited by wicked iraheta
9 minutes ago, wicked iraheta said:

or people could just allow players to roleplay how/what they want without trying to dictate what exists and what doesn't constantly, simply because it doesn't fit their view of how things should be. Maybe not everybody here wants to roleplay GTA 5 singleplayer.

9 minutes ago, wicked iraheta said:

So it's metagaming to use a real life brand that you actually know something about, as opposed to an ingame brand which was made up to parody/make fun of said real life brand? You're basically pushing realism within the 'GTA Universe' but expect us to roleplay and take brand names like 'Pisswasser' seriously. No, my character doesn't drink Pisswasser. He drinks Corona, Modelo and Olde English 800/Mickey's.

Well to be completely frank with you, yes. We're playing GTA 5 and the server was established within the GTA universe. So yes, I expect things to be narrowed within the GTA universe. You can be realistic and still be within the realms of the GTA universe. You can disagree with it all you like, but that's how it goes. It's pretty black and white. Until the Administration involves itself and says otherwise, my character has grown up in the GTA Universe and should be expected to operate within the bounds of that. Los Santos is a city located within the GTA Universe. It's that simple. As such, we should be role playing within the realm of what has been established for that city, which is in-game brands. We can't RP Los Santos being a fictional city in the real world because it's already been established as a city in the GTA world. 

I'm not against what you're saying, but within the current rules, it's established to be role played within the GTA universe. If they want to break away from that and say otherwise, I'm all for it dude.

Edited by Kestalas
Just now, Kestalas said:

Well to be completely frank with you, yes. We're playing GTA 5 and the server was established within the GTA universe. So yes, I expect things to be narrowed within the GTA universe. You can be realistic and still be within the realms of the GTA universe. You can disagree with it all you like, but that's how it goes. It's pretty black and white. Until the Administration involves itself and says otherwise, my character has grown up in the GTA Universe and should be expected to operate within the bounds of that. 'm not against what you're saying, but within the current rules, it's established to be role played within the GTA universe. If they want to break away from that and say otherwise, I'm all for it dude.

So does the fact that we're playing GTA 5 really mean that we're not allowed to portray things how we want to, simply because it screws with your immersion? Quite honestly, I think the 'continuity' rules are bullshit. I didn't join this server to roleplay GTA Online, I joined this server to roleplay a character, a human being, as if he/she was in the real world. I have no interest in playing Franklin Clinton from GTA 5 SP and if I did? I'd be playing SP.

I totally agree with wicked regarding this whole discussion. Tbh i'm tired of having my roleplay dictated because people can't stand the fact that my character wants to drink a heineken/corona instead of a pisswasser.

Edited by Saint