[Saints News] Ezra Writes: Is Pride Month Necessary?

Sammy

vJDiaJHbFoGBKJYBvd8h_17_02a6c8f433d71949e97cb7a305cfe85e_image.png

Yearly, in June, Pride Month occurs to celebrate individuals that protested after The Stonewall Inn in New York City was raided during 1968. The annual event visually represents the discrimination, incrimination, testimonies, and other issues that the LGBT+ community have dealt with throughout prior generations, and the current day. The protests have led to a series of events occurring, such as; the first same-sex marriage law in Asia, the first openly gay state governor in the U.S., among other feats. Corporate America, for example, has begun to legislate laws with the U.S. House of Representatives passing the Equality Act, legislation designed to protect LGBTQ people from discrimination in education, housing, employment, and other areas. 

The furthering of improvement for the LGBT+ community, however, is far from over. Discrimination remains visible throughout the community, and even has subtleties in LGBTQ-inclusive marketing and advertising, for the inclusive support to halt altogether when Pride Month has ended. The continuous questioning of Pride Month is a legitimate debate due to its visual representations, faith-based assumptions, and views on the reasoning behind the orchestrated events administrators and probable personal-gain for administrators, and companies. I, however, want to question individuals in Los Santos on their individualistic opinions on Pride Month’s conception and legitimacy, doing so by questioning four individuals that are associated with the LGBT+ community. 

(Anonymous)
An anonymous user, representing bisexuality, discusses their ideals and views on Pride Month as an individual associated with the LGBT+ community, whilst remaining anonymous throughout the portion of the article. The anonymous user remains neutral in terms of discussion; however, their personal experience furthers the narrative on Los Santos’ relationship circumstances. 

Aliens.jpg?itok=qBBUE1Su

Photo Credit: Nasa

Q: What is your perception on Pride Month as an event?

A: ‘I believe that Pride Month can be seen as a memorable event to our group, just like any other organisation or country celebrate its own days of history. An example would be the nationwide celebration of the 4th of July, which is seen as a very holy day for a lot of American folks. There's no reason stopping us from celebrating this month, and we should definitely be proud of our identity in a free country that guarantees us these human rights.’

Q: What do you consider the primary flaws, and or positives of Pride Month?

A: ‘As for the effects of Pride Month. I think that it positively impacts on some people who are not aware of what Pride Month is about, therefore it's a good idea to educate people on this matter and show them that we're just as human as anyone else. One the cons however I would say, is that some people within our community misrepresent us and give a bad inaccurate image of what we believe in. A solution to this issue would be hosting seminars that can enlighten ourselves on these sensitive topics.’

Q: What legislation's could be enacted to improve discrimination and incrimination against the LGBT+ community? 

A: ‘I don't think that there's any legislation that we require, as this is already a fundamental right under our 1st Amendment according to the US Constitution. We're starting to grow larger, and I believe at one point this would become a very normal thing in the eyes of all people; whether they support it or not.’

Q: How would you define sexuality in the LGBT+ community? And what are your personal sexual experiences being a member of the LGBT+ community?

A: ‘Sexuality in the LGBT+ community may be a subjective topic to some individuals, as sexual orientations differ from a person to another. Some homosexual males are not fan of penetration for example, and instead revert to other methods of sexual pleasure such as masturbation, or through oral intercourse. Some people on the other hand, are not really fan of sexual connection, and instead just stick to love and mental feelings. Going back to the question though, I'd personally define it as a further connection between two parties; regardless of their gender to further strengthen their bond and to gain sexual pleasure.’

The individual adds, ‘As in reference to my own sexual experience in Los Santos, I would say that it wasn't purely the luckiest, as people seem to prefer having intercourse for the sake of pleasure rather than anything else. I feel like this is not only a problem in our community, but it's a city-wide issue where people no longer value feelings that are necessary for an everlasting relationship.’

Tyson Sheridan
An enthusiast of ‘travelling, beaches and partying,’ Tyson is a self-acclaimed bisexual man, and aspiring photographer. In Tyson’s section of the article, a discussion on the necessity of Pride Month, and the definition of the LGBT+ community are discussed in further detail. 

fwo9eSV6sN6u8eJ4oDx3_11_e12486f056f7b0d441a6c2df9ebef792_avatar_full.PNG
Photo Credit: Tyson Sheridan

Q: As a bisexual man in Los Santos, have you experienced discrimination? And how would you consider your experience thus far, positive or negative? 

A: ‘I'll be honest, I haven't faced any discrimination since moving to Los Santos, so, this one I can't really answer all that well. I don't know if I just ain't gone out enough or if it's because I am still somewhat new to the city.’

Q: What are your views on Pride Month, and do you think it’s a necessary event? 

A: ‘I love Pride Month. I love that it brings awareness to the LGBT+ community, which for as long as it has been a thing for, many people still ignore it and think that it's a joke of an event. I do think that Pride is a necessary event to help bring focus to the issues that the many people in the LGBT+ family have to face, and Pride helps bring that stuff to light.’

Q: How do you think that we could broaden Los Santos’ LGBT+ community? Should there be more activities, or events? 

A: ‘Maybe a few more public events at like the major areas in the city, like Mirror Park or down at Del Perro Pier. Maybe even night clubs in the city could host pride events to help support victims of attacks that are aimed at members of the LGBT+ community and raise some cash for them.’

Q: How would you define the LGBT+ community?

A: ‘I define the LGBT+ Community as a place that should a be considered a safe place for people to visit and to discuss their feelings and all that kind of stuff. In my eyes, the LGBT+ Community should be more like a family for people to turn to when they are in need of help.’ Tyson’s statement emphasises on the lack of community in Los Santos at this given moment for members of the LGBT+ community.

Rose ‘Mackie’ McKenzie
Rose, also known as the alias ‘Mackie,’ defines an experience being associated with the plus in the LGBT+, and their views on Pride Month as an annual event. Her views align conservatively in comparison to the other opinions given and validate the views another individual apart of the LGBT+ community may have to another. 

ecvxXLRaNsE12J2POtNu_26_5a0c8c4a5824923a9f8f0318e9d42ab5_image.png

Photo Credit: Mackie

Q: What is your personal experience with Pride Month? Do you believe that the annual event is necessary? 

A: I've never had an actual personal experience with Pride Month since I always kept to myself regarding such up until recently. As for an 'annual event', I don't see why not. I just feel that an entire month dedicated to this is far too much compared to more important things. The level of attention given to this was far too elevated due to the simple fact that most people doubled their cries to the public in comparison to what may truly have gone done.

Q: How would you define Los Santos’ perception of the LGBT+ community, and the treatment the LGBT+ community receive in Los Santos? 

A: ‘I'd define the city's perception of said community as one-sided. There are a lot of sexualized women regarding their love over other women, and it becomes a stereotype that the public eye can use to define certain people, earning them a bad rep or a bad pair of eyes within the society's spectrum. Everybody talks about 'lesbians', but very few mention the transgender, and even less the bi or gay in my opinionated order. The treatment is rather basic-sounding, you have people that yearn for the attention they seek, and others work on getting all they can done against a group of people.’

Q: Should Pride Month be an organised event in Los Santos? 

A: ’Pride Month as an event? Definitely not. As I said, I personally insert myself within the group as a '+' but with all due respect a day is more than enough. People fought wars, people did amazing achievements throughout all their lives and they get one day. Important events regarding our planet get one day. And suddenly, a portion of humans decide it's fine for them to get 30-31 days instead a singular one like everything else. Even Christmas is one bloody day. And that's what I think Los Santos could organise, Pride Day.’

Q: What is your personal experience being either associated with, or being in the LGBT+ community?

A: ‘My personal experience falls in the fact that. I find a lot of lesbian women seeking for raw attention without giving little care into detail. I personally follow suit but try to not recreate their mistakes which is to openly call out for the first female to respond for them to have a nice night together. Please, work on having a loving relationship, work on establishing social connections with people. I know lesbians, I know bi, I know gays, I know trans and I'm a '+', and life couldn't be better regarding that area for me. I don't go to extravagant events; I don't call attention to the community or myself regarding such and try to be as casual about myself when needed to. Personally speaking, I wish things weren't as pushed onto people's faces and spoon-fed down their throats with all this information. And instead take things a bit more easily.’

Danny Waltz 
Self-acclaimed as being pansexual, but more so female leaning in terms of preference, Danny’s sexuality and gender representation is discussed in the portion of the article, emphasising on the treatment received by Los Santos to those that are altering with their gender identity.  

Q: What are your personal views on Pride Month? Are there specific improvements that you think could be possible for the event?

A: ‘I think Pride Month is very important for people in the LGBT community. Despite common perception, Pride Month isn't just about "Being proud to be gay". It's a celebration of the struggles that the LGTBQ community have had to go through in the past. Previously, these people would have had to hide who they were, in fear of prosecution, bullying, exclusion, or even death. The fact that Pride Month is all about celebrating these people, in the open, especially with all the parades that occur during the month shows that these people, DO NOT have to hide themselves anymore. We're not yet at complete acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community, but we're getting there.’

Q: What type of reception do you think is given to LGBT+ individuals in Los Santos?

A: ‘I think the acceptance of LGBTQ members in Los Santos needs some work. There's a current double standard where it's okay for female's to be gay/bi, but for guys it it's still a big no-no. People still make fun of LGBTQ people, because I guess they think it's funny, or they feel like it? There's really no reason this should be occurring, but it is.’

Q: What is your personal experience being an associated member of the LGBT+ community?

A: ‘My personal experience has been rough in the beginning. I used to be a feminine guy, and my first day in LS, I was called faggot, made fun of, called a tranny... and yeah. I find that the females in LS are much friendlier than the guys, that should change. It's like guys are afraid of gay people sexualizing them like they sexualize women. Just saying.’

Q: Do you have any advice that you could offer to the youth of the LGBT+ community that may be facing discrimination themselves?

A: ‘For the young LBGTQ members in the community, you're not alone. Cut out all negativity in your life and find people who accept you, and care for who you are, and don't let them go.’

June is a national pride month, a month of celebrations and empowerment to aside discrimination, and differences. Across the country, LGBT+ people and allies gather to festivals, parades, parties and accommodating areas to proclaim freedom and quality by societal standards. Specifically, for me, the writer, pride marches and festivals are statements of subversive displays of light in the midst of hatred and discrimination; a display of normalcy in the community, where individuals of same-sex partnership can be affectionate in public without potential backlash, and or celebrate their own personal growth instead of embracing self-regression and reverting to internalised hatred.  

The reasoning behind Pride Month, for most individuals, is to further separate barriers and to support those who are in the position to be unable to attend festivals, or safe spaces. Progress has, however, has occurred for LGBT individuals in multiple areas, including such examples as; 
•    June 2013: The Repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), in which had previously legislated the government from recognising same sex couples. 
•    October 2009: The Matthew & James Bydr Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act is enacted. Matthew Shepard, a twenty-year old man, was tortured and murdered near Laramie, Wyoming in 1998 due to his identification as being gay. The law was passed in October 28, 2009 by President Barack Obama to enforce protection for victims of perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability motivated criminal acts. 
•    June 26, 2015: Same-sex relationships are considered in the law of the land in fifty states. 

These multiple acts are the main reason that Pride Month and associated festivals, in this writer’s eyes, are justified despite the potential exaggeration of costuming or exploitation of specific companies. Although lacking communities, Los Santos’ welcoming-wagon varies when an individual is associated with the LGBT+ community, sharing similarities with other regions across America. Regardless of opinion, communication is important for allies, LGBT individuals, and non-supporters too. For this reason, a FaceBrowser group known as ‘Pride,’ has been set up on FaceBrowser’s services to provide further open discussion between alternating opinions. You, the viewer, can either comment your opinion on whether you believe that Pride Month and associated themes throughout the article are necessities in modernised society below or on the FaceBrowser page. Thank you for reading! - Ezra

saints-acc.png

Edited by Sammy
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 3
1 minute ago, inuyasha said:

Username: inuyashalover

Comment: what is the + in lgbt+ supposed to mean

Username: MsEzra

Comment: It's meant to stand for a plus, as in the other labels not included in 'LGBT.' 

1 minute ago, Sammy said:

Username: MsEzra

Comment: It's meant to stand for a plus, as in the other labels not included in 'LGBT.' 

Username: inuyasha

Comment: thank you for enlightening me and writing this beautiful piece

Username: WEZ80

Comment:

PRIDE ?️‍? MONTH? IS OFFICIALLY OVER

MEN ♂️ AND WOMEN ♀️ OF THE NATION????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:

IT IS NOW ILLEGAL TO BE #GAY ?️‍? ANYWHERE ON STRAIGHT? MOTHER EARTH ????

BISEXUALS MUST HEAD TO YOUR NEAREST GOVERNMENT BUILDING ? AND RECEIVE A "Bi-Ticket Admission Allowance System Check in Mark" TO BE PUT UNDER EXAMINATION ? TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE TO BE LEFT IN THE GENE POOL. ?‍♂️?‍♀️

THE ?️‍?GAYSTAPO?️‍? ?‍♂️?‍♂️?? WILL BE INSPECTING ALL RESIDENTS? OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ?????? TO SEARCH FOR ANY GAY ACTIVITY

ANY HOMOSEXUAL ACTIVITY CAN WARRANT ARREST??‍♂️OR POSSIBLE ☠DEATH☠ PENALTY

STAY VIGILANT AND STRAIGHT???️‍??️‍??️‍??️‍?

8 minutes ago, Flow said:

Username: WEZ80

Comment:

PRIDE ?️‍? MONTH? IS OFFICIALLY OVER

MEN ♂️ AND WOMEN ♀️ OF THE NATION????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:

IT IS NOW ILLEGAL TO BE #GAY ?️‍? ANYWHERE ON STRAIGHT? MOTHER EARTH ????

BISEXUALS MUST HEAD TO YOUR NEAREST GOVERNMENT BUILDING ? AND RECEIVE A "Bi-Ticket Admission Allowance System Check in Mark" TO BE PUT UNDER EXAMINATION ? TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE TO BE LEFT IN THE GENE POOL. ?‍♂️?‍♀️

THE ?️‍?GAYSTAPO?️‍? ?‍♂️?‍♂️?? WILL BE INSPECTING ALL RESIDENTS? OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ?????? TO SEARCH FOR ANY GAY ACTIVITY

ANY HOMOSEXUAL ACTIVITY CAN WARRANT ARREST??‍♂️OR POSSIBLE ☠DEATH☠ PENALTY

STAY VIGILANT AND STRAIGHT???️‍??️‍??️‍??️‍?

Saints News

This comment has been hidden by SpamBot.

• mj2002 locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic