GTX 1060 - is it worth it?

sevo

It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm planning on upgrading my system. I do need a new PSU amongst a few other new things, but primarily I need a better GPU in order to play the games I would like to be able to play. I currently have a GTX 750 Ti, and I need something much better in order to keep up with current games. I want to be able to play GTA V much better than I currently do, and I want to be able to play games like PUBG on the higher graphical settings.

I've had my eye on THIS Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce x2 OC 3GB

This is my current setup:

CPU: AMD FX 8320

GPU: nVIDIA GTX 750 Ti

RAM: 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE

PSU: 650W shitty PSU that I plan to upgrade eventually

Cheers!

Edited by cataplasia
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently upgraded my GTX 750 Ti to a GTX 1060 Xtreme Gaming 6GB. I could barely run PUBG with my previous GPU, objects were loading for literally 15 minutes. Any game I play now runs smoothly. I do have issues with FPS on GT:MP servers, It's obviously client sided, though. I just play on window mode, it boosts my FPS significantly.

You might also need to upgrade the CPU too. 

If you ask me, upgrade your gpu to 1060 and your CPU to 6700. My friend has the same specs as yours and he manage to run PUBG quite good.

If you got spare dollars, upgrade your ram with another 8gb stick. It won't hurt and only add more fps to your games. Not necessary, though.

32 minutes ago, iCohen said:

You might also need to upgrade the CPU too. 

If you ask me, upgrade your gpu to 1060 and your CPU to 6700. My friend has the same specs as yours and he manage to run PUBG quite good.

If you got spare dollars, upgrade your ram with another 8gb stick. It won't hurt and only add more fps to your games. Not necessary, though.

This CPU seems to be running like a trooper, but if I notice any blindingly obvious bottlenecking then I shall upgrade. Most games seem to be satisfied with this CPU though so I think I'll stick with it. As for RAM, there are not many instances, if any, where I have found myself needing any more than 8GB. We shall see.

36 minutes ago, Rozi said:

Get a 6gb one, 3gb one is not really worth it. It's not only the 3gb of vram difference, there are some other stuff that is different between them and it makes quite a big difference

Can you perhaps specify the differences? It's an extra £100 for the 6gb one, which I could afford if I were to work for another two weeks and keep saving up, but I'm not so sure.

40 minutes ago, Wisci said:

My GTX 1080 doesn't always like GT-MP, I wouldn't bargain on this server for your best bet of how big you want to go.

Duly noted, thank you.

43 minutes ago, Arthur said:

I recently upgraded my GTX 750 Ti to a GTX 1060 Xtreme Gaming 6GB. I could barely run PUBG with my previous GPU, objects were loading for literally 15 minutes. Any game I play now runs smoothly. I do have issues with FPS on GT:MP servers, It's obviously client sided, though. I just play on window mode, it boosts my FPS significantly.

I'm happy to hear your feedback, thanks a lot!

28 minutes ago, Tritega said:

Got a GTX 1070 myself, runs like a beast. 

Great to know :)

1 hour ago, cataplasia said:

It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm planning on upgrading my system. I do need a new PSU amongst a few other new things, but primarily I need a better GPU in order to play the games I would like to be able to play. I currently have a GTX 750 Ti, and I need something much better in order to keep up with current games. I want to be able to play GTA V much better than I currently do, and I want to be able to play games like PUBG on the higher graphical settings.

I've had my eye on THIS Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce x2 OC 3GB

This is my current setup:

CPU: AMD FX 8320

GPU: nVIDIA GTX 750 Ti

RAM: 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE

PSU: 650W shitty PSU that I plan to upgrade eventually

Cheers!

With all honesty, I would highly suggest to get the 6GB version.