Scripted subway system

Asesci

Basically, it would be really great if it were possible to script autonomous subway cars on the server. That way players who couldn't afford or didn't want to obtain a vehicle could get around in an inexpensive way. The subway stations could also be marked on the map for easier access and convenience.

Any thoughts, ideas, concerns or criticism?

Even though I'd love to see something like that inside the server, I'll have to vote no on this. I don't think it will be used as much as I hope and it will just add more on the server and it's possible lags because I think that a train system is a big thing to add on. 

On a side note, look on the taxi driver job. It also helps those who can't afford a car to drive around, but the amount of taxi drivers active and actually doing their job is close to zero. Most of them are using the free car to drive around freely. It sounds sad but it's how it goes right now from my point of view. 

So yeah, if people want to drive somewhere without buying a car they can call a taxi. A train won't be used in these situations.

Like iCohen said, this idea looks good on paper, but the execution would probably fall flat. Sure, the map is huge and difficult to get around if you don't have a car, but doesn't that just incentivize player-created transportation companies?

Don't let AI take jobs that players can do. thread 2020

Edited by Thread
1 minute ago, Thread said:

Like iCohen said, this idea looks good on paper, but the execution would probably fall flat. Sure, the map is huge and difficult to get around if you don't have a car, but doesn't that just incentivize player-created transportation companies?

Perhaps, but from my experience, people don't seem to want to spend their money on cab rides, especially if the player is really new or cheap. A subway would offer an inexpensive way to get around for these players. Also, as previously mentioned by iCohen, there are times when there are no cabbies around at all. How are people with no vehicles supposed to get around at those times? Hitch-hike?

22 minutes ago, iCohen said:

Even though I'd love to see something like that inside the server, I'll have to vote no on this. I don't think it will be used as much as I hope and it will just add more on the server and it's possible lags because I think that a train system is a big thing to add on. 

On a side note, look on the taxi driver job. It also helps those who can't afford a car to drive around, but the amount of taxi drivers active and actually doing their job is close to zero. Most of them are using the free car to drive around freely. It sounds sad but it's how it goes right now from my point of view. 

So yeah, if people want to drive somewhere without buying a car they can call a taxi. A train won't be used in these situations.

You said that there's almost no taxi drivers and then you say that players should use a taxi driver. How does it fix the problem? 

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

You said that there's almost no taxi drivers and then you say that players should use a taxi driver. How does it fix the problem? 

Adding a train system won't fix this problem for sure.. people will have to realize that somebody has to start working this job in order to keep the transportation rolling. A script-working train won't do it. 

4 minutes ago, iCohen said:

Adding a train system won't fix this problem for sure.. people will have to realize that somebody has to start working this job in order to keep the transportation rolling. A script-working train won't do it. 

I know it won't, but the way you said it. ''Server has no taxi drivers, so just go and use a taxi instead of a train.''

I want Devs to comment on that and say if it's even possible to make that system work.

3 minutes ago, iCohen said:

How could you possibly know that when it hasn't been even tried here yet? Adding a subway would definitely cut down the time on getting from A to B, especially when you consider that the distances here are much greater than on GTA San Andreas. A shorter commute time should attract players.

Now, in-case the suggestion was too resource-heavy, we could alternatively make it so that players could "teleport" from one subway station to another, yet these teleportations shouldn't be instant. Rather, it should take like a minute or two to get from one station to another.