Player Name Opacity Based On Tint Level

iAMTemple

Short description:

Just as the title states, something simple which can improve the realism behind the tints and thus giving them some meaning other than just cosmetics. While it promotes realism, players will now have the curiosity as one would in real life when someone rolls up with blacked out windows. This also reduces the chance of metagaming, which naturally it's up to the player to judge, but let's look at it from a realistic perspective.

Ask yourself...

Who's that? Is it a driveby? Is it Jenny from the block? Is that a fugitive trying to avoid the police?

Detailed description:

I'm suggesting a simple script which determines the opacity of the player's name based on the tint levels.

The lower the level (Exception of 0 which is no tints) the more transparent the name will appear.

TINT LEVEL | LAW | OPACITY %

LEVEL 0 | Legal |100% Opacity (No Tints)

LEVEL 3 | Legal | 75% Opacity

LEVEL 2 | Illegal | 50% Opacity

LEVEL 1 | Illegal | 10% Opacity

Keep in mind, I'm not suggesting strictly based on U.S. state laws, only merely suggesting to fit the current server's penal limitations and laws.

Any suggestions are welcome, as always!

Commands to add:

N/A

Items to add:

Opacity Script

How would your suggestion improve the server?

Reduced Metagaming, Realistic QoL Balancing For Both Sides Of The Law & A More Pleasurable Experience.

Additional information:

N/A

Edited by iAMTemple
  • Upvote 2

This is a heavy roleplay server. People should not be metagaming based off nametags. As a cop, I'm stopping a car for tints regardless whether it's Mrs Miggins on her way back from Tim's Tarantulas with her weekly bag of dog food, or whether it's the second reincarnation of Hitler living in Forum Drive.

• Applaud 2
45 minutes ago, Westen said:

This is a heavy roleplay server. People should not be metagaming based off nametags. As a cop, I'm stopping a car for tints regardless whether it's Mrs Miggins on her way back from Tim's Tarantulas with her weekly bag of dog food, or whether it's the second reincarnation of Hitler living in Forum Drive.

I just pissed my pants

• Upvote 1

As odd as Westie’s analogy is, I’m inclined to agree. The traffic bobby got one crucial point there and that is the fact that this is a heavy roleplay server. At the end of the day the nametag is going to be visible regardless and should not be used either way unless the IC stars have aligned and you know their name. 

While tints do obstruct both the view of the driver and persons outside of the vehicle, that should be roleplayed between the involved parties. 

Not supporting this but in support of Westie’s blatant advertisement of Tims Tarantulas.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Westen said:

First of all, nice joke!

Second, I've barely been pulled over, especially with my characters driving.. Since I've been on this server I could count the amount of times I've been pulled over on one hand. Honestly almost never a cop pulls me over, especially if he sees me driving the way my character does.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with this suggestion.

You can easily say yeah people dont MG but they do on some level MG even subconsciously.. Text is information, as long as your eye can the name its processed. Therefor i think having opacity should help dictate if not diffrentiate the state of your character perception.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, Westen said:

Should, would … all relative. EVERY single person is MG'ing some aspects of the game whether you like it or not. Some emotions and feelings can't just be RP'ed correctly when you come across certain things that can only happen in the game world. It should be our job to curb our subconscious perception of the game mechanics.

I strongly agree with the suggestion. Should be implemented.

• mj2002 locked this topic