Business Commission "Fix"

So we've been working and roleplaying all evening at our garage in Paleto in the wake of the update, excited to be having the opportunity to make decent cuts from the orders we make with the business owner having set the mechanic commission rate to 60%. With the three of us working that would've made a pretty 20% of purchase payout, but after a sudden crash or update we started noticing that something was off when a car came in to get paint, wheels and a spoiler installed(All of which are 1k+) and we were recieving commissions of around 85. So when things quieted down around the garage we did a bit of testing of our own and noticed that for some reason the commission rate had switched to a 20% rate giving only $30 for a $200 tint purchase with only one mechanic signed on. Screenshot

The conclusion I've been drawing from this is that the script is either counting signed on mechanics multiple times following a crash which seems very likely after checking the maths in the screenshot or that the rate's reset to a default value. Which we cannot confirm as the business owner is currently asleep at the time I am writing this. No matter which it is the consequences for the average spanner monkey is pretty game breaking as this means you're barely getting paid at all for the work you're doing.

I'm curious to see if any other garages are having these problems or if anyone's able to shed some light into this. 

• Developer

The new commissions fix had been worded wrongly in the changelog its quite difficult to understand the math if you didnt script  it yourself.

Basically the amount that goes to the business on purchase is split into two.

1 part goes straight to the biz bank so businesses can always afford components

The second part gets split across employees according to the commission set. HOWEVER if the commission for all employees onduty is MORE than the split money, it divides the commission percentage by 1.5 so..

Lets say the commission is 60% and there are 2 employees working. The business received 625 (1250 is a paintjob but /2 by the script for garages)

625/2= 312.5

So 312.5 goes straight in the biz and the other 312.5 goes to the employees like this:

312.5*60(commission percentage) /100 = 187.5 that every employee should get... however 

187.5*2 (amount of employees onduty) = 375 which is more than the money available (312.5) so it divides 60% /1.5 so the new commission is 40% then redoes the math and repeats the dividing by 1.5 if the money is more than received.

So eventually for a paintjob with 2 employees working and a comission of 60% each would be paid $125

Hope this makes sense

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, St3fan[NL] said:

The new commissions fix had been worded wrongly in the changelog its quite difficult to understand the math if you didnt script  it yourself.

Basically the amount that goes to the business on purchase is split into two.

1 part goes straight to the biz bank so businesses can always afford components

The second part gets split across employees according to the commission set. HOWEVER if the commission for all employees onduty is MORE than the split money, it divides the commission percentage by 1.5 so..

Lets say the commission is 60% and there are 2 employees working. The business received 625 (1250 is a paintjob but /2 by the script for garages)

625/2= 312.5

So 312.5 goes straight in the biz and the other 312.5 goes to the employees like this:

312.5*60(commission percentage) /100 = 187.5 that every employee should get... however 

187.5*2 (amount of employees onduty) = 375 which is more than the money available (312.5) so it divides 60% /1.5 so the new commission is 40% then redoes the math and repeats the dividing by 1.5 if the money is more than received.

So eventually for a paintjob with 2 employees working and a comission of 60% each would be paid $125

Hope this makes sense

With respect, I think you're going about this the wrong way. Simple math says that $125 of $312.5 is 40% (when it's supposed to be 60%), no matter which way you slice it. With this system, mechanics are getting shafted. With that math, they are getting 40% even though the script is set to 60%. I believe when you scripted it, you were thinking in terms of individual commission for each mechanic and not total commission for the entire sale. For ease of the system, it should be based on the latter. I will discuss below where I think the issue is and how to fix it.

A paint job costs $1250, but per the script, the business receives a total of half that, which would be $625. $625 is what would be the amount that's to be divided between the business and its employees.

I believe you're calculating the commission at the wrong spot in the equation. Commission percentage should be calculated at the sale price ($625) and then the rest divided up equally, as written below:

1) Paint job costs $1250. The script cuts that in half and the total business received is $625.

2) Commission is set to 60% mechanics, 40% business. At this point, you calculate the commission for business/mechanics.

• 60% of $625 = $375 (The amount to be divided between mechanics)
  • 40% of $625 = $250 (The amount that goes straight to the business)

3) $250 goes to the business (As that is 40% of $625)

4) $375 (60% of $625) gets divided up between the number of mechanics on duty, equally.

• In the case of 2 mechanics, they would receive the proper $187.5 each with these calculations (187.5 x 2 = 375).

This would be an accurate 60% Mechanics / 40% Business calculation & I feel this is the better way to do it. Two mechanics receiving $125 each is only 40% commission not 60% commission, no matter which way you phrase it. The math problem you're running into in the script is because of the issues I highlighted above.

Edited by Pollster
11 minutes ago, St3fan[NL] said:

@Pollster im at work rn ill read and reply when home. the system is made like this for a reason but ill explain later.

Definitely interested in hearing the explanation. I don't see how it makes any sense whatsoever lol *shrugs* 

In the case of his screen shot above in the original post. A tint job is $200 (total, before being halved by the script)

He writes: "So when things quieted down around the garage we did a bit of testing of our own and noticed that for some reason the commission rate had switched to a 20% rate giving only $30 for a $200 tint purchase with only one mechanic signed on." He has only one mechanic on duty. He only gets paid $30. 

The $200 gets divided in half by the script by default, leaving $100 left.

$200 / 2 = $100 (this gets divided between the business and the mechanic)

The one mechanic only gets paid $30 out of the $100 left. That's a 30% commission by current standards, not 60%.

I don't get this at all. With a commission that's set at 60% towards mechanics, I don't see any reasoning where this would make sense but I'm curious to see what your explanation is. I don't mean any disrespect either, but I just can't see any world where this math would make sense lol.

Edited by Pollster
  • Upvote 1

Owner of the garage here. 

I set it to 60% with the agreement only 3 mechanics would ever be on duty and therefore would always receive a min 20% commission. Which worked absolutely fine, until the server crash. 

Then, it was like there was 6 mechanics on duty and they were only getting half what they should of. I think the calculation was fine, just perhaps they are being double counted. 

One of the mechanics can confirm. 

2 minutes ago, Epic said:

Owner of the garage here. 

I set it to 60% with the agreement only 3 mechanics would ever be on duty and therefore would always receive a min 20% commission. Which worked absolutely fine, until the server crash. 

Then, it was like there was 6 mechanics on duty and they were only getting half what they should of. I think the calculation was fine, just perhaps they are being double counted. 

One of the mechanics can confirm. 

My guess is that the crash bugged the system in someway that it still counts more on duty mechanics than there actually are.

• Developer

After consideration the way I fixed it is indeed odd (dont blame me! I am a nurse irl not a math teacher ? )

Ill change it to the way its described in the changelog. The percentage of the received money is split equally over the onduty employees like @Pollster described.

The 100-percentage amount goes straight to the biz.