Hide character name in /b if masked

thutl

3 hours ago, Chipsdose said:

I hate to interact with someone who wears a mask and starts typing something in /b and I get to know who it is oocly. It kinda breaks the immersion for me, but luckily when this happens I never really focus that much on the name and I will forget who it was some minutes later as long as I dont know the person. Even then I know that it was just a random guy and nobody that I know and if I wouldnt know ooc who it was then it would be more of a mystery and would interest me in some way.

Would be nice if there would be a button to click and it hides all player names, not just players that wear a mask without removing the chat.

Yeah, that's the reason I made this suggestion. If people know who you are behind the mask OOCly, they'll treat you differently the next time they encounter you unmasked, even if they don't know it was you ICly. That thought just sits in the back of their head the entire time they see your name. That's just what I've experienced.

31 minutes ago, thutl said:

Yeah, that's the reason I made this suggestion. If people know who you are behind the mask OOCly, they'll treat you differently the next time they encounter you unmasked, even if they don't know it was you ICly. That thought just sits in the back of their head the entire time they see your name. That's just what I've experienced.

I mean in all honesty the mask system is flawed as is, if you're talking to someone while masked they'd easily be able to notice you while unmasked if they hear your voice. And for the /b thing, leave it as is, if someone decides to MG the ooc chat you can go ahead and report it.

Just now, WirelessMind said:

I mean in all honesty the mask system is flawed as is, if you're talking to someone while masked they'd easily be able to notice you while unmasked if they hear your voice. And for the /b thing, leave it as is, if someone decides to MG the ooc chat you can go ahead and report it.

Depends on the type of mask you are wearing. Yes, if you are wearing a mask with a mouth hole, no if you've got something thick that would cover your mouth or muffle your voice.

Not supporting.

/b is an OOC chat and should be kept as that, filling it with masks really isn’t going to do a great deal of good. If someone is allegedly metagaming another persons name or identity due to their /b shenanigans we luckily have a section on the forums to report things just like that. 

Even if the argument is well, if you met them before you would know the sound of their voice. Not necessarily. If someone is letting you skedaddle away alive then they most likely used a fake voice or don’t plan on seeing you again. This should always be roleplayed, figuring out what kind of voice your assailant has is between the pair of you. Or more, if you’re unlucky.

Not every encounter you have with a mask is going to turn to /b, frankly /b should not be used unless necessary to resolve a minor inconvenience. When things can be handled IC, they should be.

Just my two cents! Good luck with your suggestion regardless.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:32 PM, Nexxt said:

If people want to metagame, they will find another way to metagame

And which one might that be?

Sorry but the identity should be hidden both OOC and IC. It would completely change dynamics if my best friend learned ( OOC or IC ) that I'm robbing them. It would RUIN the shock of finding it IC. Also, I don't want people to know that I am robbing them, whether it's on an IC or OOC level. If they find out OOC they'll treat you as less trustworthy, even if they do so without realising it.

/b is an OOC chat and should be kept as that, filling it with masks really isn’t going to do a great deal of good. If someone is allegedly metagaming another persons name or identity due to their /b shenanigans we luckily have a section on the forums to report things just like that. 

Then we might as well make an OOC thread of every robber and criminal player. Why do you support features that make metagaming easier? What benefit is there in the mask showing your actual name? That you know you're talking to Bob and not Mask1331? What's the benefit here?

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Upvote 1

Players shouldn't be using /do to talk OOCly anyway, no one forces a player to talk in /b. 

/do is purely for roleplay, as is /me. 

On the other hand, we can't kid ourselves in saying masked people shouldn't be anonymous, that's the entire reason behind changing a player's name to a mask and ID, otherwise people could just RP being masked.

The current masked script is in part, imo, to prevent metagaming as well as to show a player's face is unrecognisable. Masking a player's name in /b doesn't stop them from being reported, but it will prevent MG between players. 

Supporting, as long as there's still  a clear way to report masked players. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/23/2019 at 8:52 PM, Duke said:

Players shouldn't be using /do to talk OOCly anyway, no one forces a player to talk in /b. 

/do is purely for roleplay, as is /me. 

On the other hand, we can't kid ourselves in saying masked people shouldn't be anonymous, that's the entire reason behind changing a player's name to a mask and ID, otherwise people could just RP being masked.

The current masked script is in part, imo, to prevent metagaming as well as to show a player's face is unrecognisable. Masking a player's name in /b doesn't stop them from being reported, but it will prevent MG between players. 

Supporting, as long as there's still  a clear way to report masked players. 

Exactly! 

On 6/13/2019 at 5:45 AM, Syrike said:

I'm voting no here, the mask hides your name ICly, where it should be hidden. If a person is metagaming a name with /b or /me then they are going to metagame in any number of other situations. The other issue being If a person feels like they are protected and hidden if an argument does break out in PMs or /B it is simply going to become even more of a toxic situation as the person believes they have anonymity. 

By that logic we wear our names over our heads in this world? Because this is a double standard as it was defined. 

If the OOC chat should display the OOC Name because "ITS OOC!!" then the name we carry above our heads should also display "Username (Masked)" and not "MASK_ID". Oh wait you don't want to do that to avoid metagame? Well same with OOC Chat. There is no reason to treat one thing different than the other except for randomness. 

Believed anonymity is not anonymity as it's still mappable by administration. If he wants to be toxic under the false idea of not being prosecuted for it, let him - easier to remove such people because toxic behavior is a general attitude and if you are a shit person while anonymous chances are good you are just a shit person. Let them show themselfes. 

Edited by Coni