Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

Just now, Fraggloid said:

I'd like to issue all three of you a challenge.

Join FD. Roleplay with us. See what we do, day-to-day, and see how things work. I'm sure you'll quickly change your views when you see how dedicated, involved and enthusiastic our members are towards our roleplay. 

You'll also get a chance to see the sheer weight of calls we get that are repetitive, where the player just wants to get it over and done with because they crashed fleeing from PD, or pulled a gun and got shot and killed. You'll see our side of the discussion, and I'm sure you'll end up agreeing with us. 

We're here to roleplay, not provide a /revive command. 

I completely agree with this. Try it and see for yourselves, submit ridealong requests. We'd be more than happy to actually show you what we do on a day to day basis.

23 minutes ago, Duke said:

Why would I not want to do things by the rule book?

We go to a scene, assess the patient, they tell us what's wrong and we treat it accordingly then transport. We're not here to write people's RP for them. 

I've already said the way in which we roleplay needs improving to improve the flow of RP on scenes, this is down to the guides being incredibly outdated. I'm not sure what you thin EMS do in real life, they follow protocols set out by their local authorities and hospitals they're charted to, they don't make up treatment as they go along. 

I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that I was saying emergency services in real life do not have guidelines to follow. I am merely coming in from an outsider point of view and thinking to myself, and articulating it in written form here, that instead of blaming the players with accusations, which may or may not be true (truth be told I believe you and Fragg that it is a common occurrence).

Though the attitude or at least the felt attitude from multiple FD staff here is, we can't be bothered because ninety some percent of the cases we deal with suck, thus the rest well be treated equally (pardon my french) shit from our side. Yes, I truly well understand you get fed up with non-responsiveness, inability and whatever else may there be.

Heck, I've dealt with it so many times from a police side of things, or government side of things so you don't need to tell me what it is like. But I always tried to make the roleplay more engaging, interesting, if not better for the other party. Was it welcomed? Surely was, I can say that, people were surprised that a cop would not ask for their license and stuff when pulling someone over, and instead just have a little chitchat because the car seemed cool. Did some people simply ignore my motivations to create a better environment? Absolutely, the situation was as you described too a simple one-liner of "Check my ID already and piss off". But at least I can say, hey I tried!

21 minutes ago, Fraggloid said:

Given that this thread relates only to GSW calls and the vast majority of those are the player either PKing no matter what treatment we roleplay to try and save them, or miraculously surviving against all the odds after being shot 8 times, there's really not much we CAN do on our end. Most of the players we encounter just want to get it over and done with and don't care what we RP, and this shows in their slow responses and un-engaged attitude to the roleplay at hand - and this is what the issue is. It's not from our end.

This situation needs solving, and many concepts have been tried. From forcing CKs unto players, to basically have no regulation regarding what needs to be roleplayed as what exactly. Though, think about what you just wrote? The first part about regardless of your efforts they want to die for whatever reason surely is something you can bring up with admins and argue the case that there is no intent to roleplay properly. This cannot be solved differently from my perspective.

The second part of your statement, you say most again. I am about hundred percent sure that you have not met every single player on the server to make this judgement call. Sure, the point of your argument was a different one, but I am just going to be nitpicking here. That shootings occur regularly in very specific areas with very specific roleplayers is sort of a no-brainer. It's obvious why and how it happens but your approach to these situations is as stated multiple times at this point in my eyes wrong.

8 minutes ago, JayO said:

I completely agree. We have such low numbers for that reason alone. 

The rulebook is there for a reason, we follow it to the letter, such as real life.

We are not there to babysit someone through all their possible injuries and the many scenarios that a bullet could do to a human body. We ask them questions to get a baseline of what they want to RP, if that requires ILS then so be it that's a path the person has chosen.... willingly might I add, whether they know its ILS or not. 

This whole thing makes it out as though ILS is used constantly which is completely the opposite. I've seen it twice in two months and I was on for about 12-15 hours every day of that. ILS is extremely rare and pretty pointless to argue about because of such reason.

This term robomedic seems to be cropping up a lot, we have procedures and rules in place for a reason. Things are done in a certain way on purpose, let's call it 'linear'. This linear way of assessing and treating is done as a prioritization list so yeah we all do the same thing when we arrive on scene, to assess prioritization. 

FD have probably some of the highest standards of RP on the server. We are proud of that and are in no way shape or form going to lower our RP standards for the sake of some time. End of.

It's funny that you say that... In particular: "FD have probably some of the highest standards of RP on the server. We are proud of that and are in no way shape or form going to lower our RP standards for the sake of some time. End of." Which is basically what the last few replies were, at least, hinting at if not arguing for to lower the RP standards for GSW situations because it's just a "waste of time". I permitted myself to paraphrase certain parts but that is basically what is being written here. Whereas I am advocating to invest a bit more time into situations and try and create an enjoyable atmosphere.

Neither am I arguing to grab your handy guidebook and throw it out of the window for procedures, and how things are supposed to be done. I am arguing for throwing your "mental" guidebook out of the window in regards to attitude when approaching a GSW/situation. It seems to me that a few of you think you are mere slaves when it comes to saving people's lives. You are not. You are supposed to enjoy this in your off and leisure time, hence for me I'd try and be creative with the RP I create, I get thrown into, or join in.

It's been the same story in FD in a popular SAMP server.

I'd meet people genuinely interested in RPing their injuries and whatever repercussions come after, however at least 70% of the time, I'd end up on scene post gang shooting when no one wants to survive, or even if they do, they show 0 engagement, don't respond to questions(which I liked making easy to answer, giving several choices and all that). At that point, my motivation would die down as I have nothing to go off on and just become a robomedic. Even after I got ALS, the only thing you'd do on the daily is arrive at post-shooting scene - DR CAB - trauma dressings - load up and go. Trying to talk did close to nothing either, as patients end up tabbing out for the entirety of the scene. When it did work however, I had some truly fun moments and my character at the time made plenty of friends that way.

I experience the same thing in GTAW working as a mechanic. People expect to get their mods and leave 2 minutes after, however, depending on the severity of the job, I sometimes keep the customers around for an hour or more. A lot of people get annoyed, some PM me that they have to log off but really don't, some complain about the time and effort I put into giving customers an enjoyable experience. Same as with FD, I get tired of doing 20 paintjobs a day when only 2 of the people actually want to engage with my character and make the time worthwhile.

In conclusion, this stigma isn't only an FD thing and there's really nothing you can do about it. You have two choices: stick to your guns and put time and effort into the RP. This can result in either satisfaction from the patient/customer, or annoyance. You can also always drop the quality to release the patient sooner, however IMO, that shouldn't be done unless there's a good reason for it.

Edited by Gryffin
  • Applaud 1
10 minutes ago, Marcus. said:

...Though the attitude or at least the felt attitude from multiple FD staff here is, we can't be bothered because ninety some percent of the cases we deal with suck, thus the rest well be treated equally (pardon my french) shit from our side...

...regardless of your efforts they want to die for whatever reason surely is something you can bring up with admins...

...I am about hundred percent sure that you have not met every single player on the server to make this judgement call...

...the last few replies were, at least, hinting at if not arguing for to lower the RP standards for GSW situations because it's just a "waste of time"...

...a few of you think you are mere slaves when it comes to saving people's lives...

So, in order:

You believe we can't be bothered to roleplay. Every post I, JayO, and others have made in this thread says otherwise.

People just roleplay dead to escape treatment, and take a PK; it's up the player how they roleplay their injuries, involving admins will achieve nothing.

No, I've not met every player on the server. See:

this thread relates only to GSW calls and the vast majority of those

Most of the players we encounter

No, we're not hinting at lowering roleplay quality. In fact, we want the opposite. You'll actually find that it's the non-FD contributors to this discussion that are saying to lower the quality of our roleplay, including an Admin and a Developer.

And yes, we do feel that we're slaves at times - because of those people who simply want to get it over and done with, and take no time to engage in the roleplay of the treatment of their character, or those that simply RP dead no matter what in order to escape arrest/get a quick scenario they can avoid.

Edited by Fraggloid
6 minutes ago, Marcus. said:

Long wall of text

*Duke heaves a lengthy sigh, resting his forehead onto his palm

We would never diminish our roleplay standards because we think it's a waste of time, frankly we don't think our RP is a waste of time, I'm not sure why you'd suggest that. 

I'm not going to type up another huge wall of text to realign your thought pattern with ours, it seems you've just misconceived every thing we've just said. 

In simple points; 

- We don't want to be a Load'n'go /revive taxi service

- We don't want people to tab out while we try to rp

- We don't want PD to complain a scene is taking too long because they've got an itchy trigger finger

• Upvote 1

FD need to understand that this is a game. We want to have fun and for most people it's not fun to be completely powerless and a subject of the medic helping you. If a player isn't giving you satisfactory roleplay while you help them, then don't bother engaging and load and go. If someone wants to roleplay then you can give them all the time they want.

This thread is the same as the car crash thread, you're forcing people into RP they don't enjoy.

Just now, shotgun_sam said:

FD need to understand that this is a game. We want to have fun and for most people it's not fun to be completely powerless and a subject of the medic helping you. If a player isn't giving you satisfactory roleplay while you help them, then don't bother engaging and load and go. If someone wants to roleplay then you can give them all the time they want.

This thread is the same as the car crash thread, you're forcing people into RP they don't enjoy.

That is just an absolute falsehood. Players are very much in control of their roleplay and health when being treated, they decide their heart rate, blood pressure, how responsive they are, their breathing, blood circulation, oxygen sats, do I need to go on? 

Why should we be a /revive taxi service for lazy RPers. No sir. We will not. 

I would do GSW treatment all day. Couple trauma dressings and transport, all we can do. GSWs are what I think of the more basic treatment, especially for BLS. If it's more serious? Call ILS and if they dont respond? Throw them in the ambulance and bee line it to a hospital. 

What you see on scene is the bare minimal basics we are trained to use.

6 hours ago, Keane said

All of your points? We do that already. The only time I ever see robomedic RP is when the injured player simply can't be bothered to roleplay, or doesnt answer us

Ok, I'm not going to sit there PMing a player a list of injuries for him to choose from, that'll just annoy them. 

We're not here to write people's RP for them. 

In simple points; 

- We don't want to be a Load'n'go /revive taxi service

- We don't want people to tab out while we try to rp

- We don't want PD to complain a scene is taking too long because they've got an itchy trigger finger

Regarding point 1 of the last quote. Nor have I the desire to diminish you to that.

Regarding point 2 of the last quote. That should be followed up by administrative consequences, that is sub-par and unacceptable.

Regarding point 3 of the last quote. Liaise with PD Staff Officers or Faction Management and have that sorted out. I personally have always enjoyed roleplaying with FD as police officer previously, especially when it became extremely immersive even over the most trivial matter, such as a broken ankle.

Now for the rest of the quotes, to keep it short and simple. For the first quote, it seems rather like you can make it enjoyable. But is immediately contradicted by the second quote, and that is where I came in from originally. Why do you only show us the basics? And I've asked that before and never received an answer, what is more enjoyable for you a basic GSW with little to no engagement, or a fully immersed scene where everyone does their part? I guess I know the answer already.

Third quote with context it is quite clear, without it makes it look quite strange really. If a player can't be bothered to roleplay, I'd still give my best to at least shine even if the other party does the bare minimum. That's the exact attitude that might be an issue. Are you maybe wasting your time? Sure. Did you enjoy showing off your knowledge and practicality to the surroundings? Probably?

Fourth quote, I would say you are more than qualified to do that actually. A normal player does not know everything about medical treatments so give them at least an opportunity to maybe dive deeper into it, even when they are just patients.

Just now, shotgun_sam said:

And this is the patient attitude that needs to go. Yes, it is game, but you expect proper roleplay on other scenes, FD expects it here. So treat them as you would like to be treated and give them some entertainment.

3 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

it's not fun to be completely powerless and a subject of the medic helping you

It's not fun to be completely useless and a subject of players wanting to ignore the roleplay you're there to provide, as would be required by not only the server rules, but reality. If you get shot, get in a car accident, etc; you're going to need medical help.

4 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

Wow and here I was thinking this is a RP server. 

• Keane locked this topic
  • Keane unlocked this topic