Gun Pull Animation

aldo

It doesn't change anything. Drawing faster or slower, even with that animations draw time, most people can't complete a /me. So it makes no difference. Pulling a gun on a video game can never be made fair, there is always going to be a side of it to which people wont agree so just keep it as is and live with it, learn to enjoy it as best as you can or just don't get yourself involved in situations that require you to be shot at because we're not here to just DM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 11:20 AM, Shinto said:

It doesn't change anything. Drawing faster or slower, even with that animations draw time, most people can't complete a /me. So it makes no difference. Pulling a gun on a video game can never be made fair, there is always going to be a side of it to which people wont agree so just keep it as is and live with it, learn to enjoy it as best as you can or just don't get yourself involved in situations that require you to be shot at because we're not here to just DM.

On 5/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, Shinto said:

Drawing faster or slower, even with that animations draw time, most people can't complete a /me. So it makes no difference.

Exactly. Even so, if you do a /me to pull out a gun you HAVE to give the player a reasonable amount of time before you go ahead and decide to kill like it's GTA Online. This means more than 5-10 seconds. Would go for both parties.

I really like this idea because it does have good intentions but like mentioned above, every person is different with how they handle a weapon.

I can already foresee CK appeals being posted based on the fact that they died because the animation didn’t match the character’s capability to handle a firearm. 

On 5/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, Law said:

I really like this idea because it does have good intentions but like mentioned above, every person is different with how they handle a weapon.

I can already foresee CK appeals being posted based on the fact that they died because the animation didn’t match the character’s capability to handle a firearm. 

Yup, that's how I see it. Honestly people who draw a gun without letting the other side react using a /me /ame /do just don't know how to roleplay.

Not to mention that I've been a part of a few incident where that forced animation would've probably made my character lose the situation due to slow reaction.

On 5/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, aldo said:

when everyones characters are some supersoldier military trained marksmen

No, that's not the case, but truthfully, most of the people I know in real life who own a gun, visit the gun range more than once a year, at least a few times a month, they also sign up for courses on handling the gun they own and such. Meaning with enough exercise anyone can reach a decent reaction time with a gun. Not a Super Soldier but decent. Especially the draw reaction time is the easy part honestly, being dead-accurate is the hard part honestly.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:39 AM, FilmFactory said:

Great idea!

Honestly? No, this forces people to actually limited by the script on doing things. Like in real life if someone ambushes another via Drive By or any other situation the other party most likely has zero time to react before being gunned down. I've seen multiple situations in real life where the camera shows the speed at which the person was gunned down before he could react even. Forcing said animation limits allot of situations where reaction time could be decisive between life and death honestly.

I am against this suggestion, because I see it as a person who lost in a few situations came up with it because the other party did not allow him time to react, meaning the other party did a low quality performance of their roleplay. Honestly? A drive by (even if you step out to shoot) would be limited to that animation is stupid. We should not limit it, not to mention the Desync that plagues RageMP at the moment where not every time animations are synced and such, good example of that, is when you enter an int and half the people are sitting on air instead where they actually are on their screen. 

Poor reaction time should not be balanced out by the system honestly, it's up to the player to be able to react.

3 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Honestly? No, this forces people to actually limited by the script on doing things. Like in real life if someone ambushes another via Drive By or any other situation the other party most likely has zero time to react before being gunned down. I've seen multiple situations in real life where the camera shows the speed at which the person was gunned down before he could react even. Forcing said animation limits allot of situations where reaction time could be decisive between life and death honestly.

A "Good" or "Bad" idea is subjective. 

I gave the suggestion a support. I don't think it's necessary to discredit that. (Or calling other's ideas "stupid".)

Regardless, I'll elaborate on why I personally think it's a "Great idea".

I believe Red Dead Redemption 2 is an example of a game where characters do animations at a very slow pace, yet the game feels immersive and the world feels alive. A game is a world with a set of rules created by the designers. A video game can only represent an illusion of reality, and the version of reality represented in the game is decided based on the designer's taste and design choices. Players obey the rules created for the world, regardless of how they may seem "unrealistic" for a certain individual. (Example: Invisible Walls, RTS' Fogs, or Health Bars)

Now, in my opinion, I believe an animation for equipping a pistol simply creates a more immersive experience, appropriate for the roleplay context. From a game development point of view, between: Spawning a gun in your hand VS an animation of the character grabbing a gun, which is more realistic? I personally would say an animation of a character grabbing a gun is more realistic because it creates an illusion of what human in real life would do. It fits the roleplay context. 

Keep in mind, we have differences experiences. Some people might actually have seen a human being fly, hear the voice god, spawn a gun in their hands, or unholster your weapon really fast. And I won't disregard your experiences. It's simply closer to my experiences as a human being, which I feel relatable and better suited for my vision of a good roleplay environment. 

Regardless of the speed of the specific animation (I believe the speed of an animation is adjustable.) , I believe an animation for equipping your pistol creates a greater immersive experience.