Pay-per-mile Insurance

Detailed Description: Add an option to pay your car's insurance based on the number of miles you actually drive, rather than a flat rate. This is a good option for people who don't drive very often, as it can save them money on their car insurance. The way it typically works is:

• You pay a base monthly rate that covers your car when it's parked (the rates for this type of insurance should ideally be lower compared to standard insurance rates in order to make pay-per-mile insurance a feasible choice).
  • You're charged a per-mile rate every mile you drive (realistically, insurers can track your mileage through a telematics device in your car or just use a phone app).

Relevant Commands/Items: Perhaps give players the option to choose which insurance they want when they purchase a new vehicle from the dealership. For auto payments, simply make it work like home security. The script can track the number of miles you drive each month, and then it's deducted from your character's bank account at the end of the month.

How will it benefit the server? I suppose it enhances realism. I can't think of any downsides to providing players with extra options for their car insurance.

You can already insure your car for a single day. So when you're not using a car, then you aren't forced to insure it. Doesn't this already achieve what this purpose? If anything, people should pay more to insure rather than just individual days. Car ownership is way too cheap already.

I'm not quite sure how insurance works on a real life scale but I don't think in general this is how this works. If this suggestion was just a flat out fee of a monthly fee that you pay on the first of every month, instead of you calling a number saying a random number from 1-365 and then just paying a fee like that. This would be a genuinely great suggestion! 

-1 from me

On 6/18/2024 at 7:31 PM, Smurf said:

I'm not quite sure how insurance works on a real life scale but I don't think in general this is how this works. If this suggestion was just a flat out fee of a monthly fee that you pay on the first of every month, instead of you calling a number saying a random number from 1-365 and then just paying a fee like that. This would be a genuinely great suggestion! 

-1 from me

Pay-per-mile insurance has been gaining popularity in the past few years, particularly among people who don't log many miles on the road, and many insurance providers now provide this option as an alternative to standard insurance coverage. As stated in the suggestion, a base rate is paid each month, and an extra charge is added based on the total miles driven in that particular month. It's completely automatic, so there's no need to dial any number or make daily payments if you're the type to pay for insurance every day. 

It only takes about 40 miles to circle the entire state; I don't see the benefits of pay-per-mileage in the game, especially when you can and may pay per day and get a message if your insurance is invalid.

• nickM locked this topic