Abolish underage characters; change their HP or change how they can be accessed by the community at large.

Posted (edited)

Greetings, with this thread I come forth with a suggestion that may improve the community's health and how people interact with one another on an IC and OOC basis entirely. Some may find it just bashing, some may find it a must. But inherently, it's just a game suggestion I'd like to see implemented.

It's to nobody's surprise, and some even consider casual the existance of underage characters throughout the server's community. These, characters like any other, have had the freedom of concept much like an adult character from day one - with the obvious caveat that they must abide by the rules, like everyone else.

The Situation:

It's considered nowadays for an underage character to be an important tool of entry into several rings of illegal roleplay and respective. It serves as a means to justify the commence of a group, ring, gang, etc or any characters who found themselves participating as a way of allowing them to roleplay from the character's very start and first involvement with said group. It allows players to skip what would otherwise be considered a backstory, and in fact see their activity and actions play out in-game, giving a good deal of continuation from a character's young age.

Others find themselves roleplaying underage family members. Sons, daughters, cousins, relatives in general. This is also a great deal to those wishing to roleplay a different aspect which is passive roleplay and allows for a more calmer vibe and path in the server.

The Problem:

Many of these characters, and by many I mean a majority, are found to be illegal characters. Most throwaway, few developed into a growing sense of accomplishment. By this, players are given a tool to infinitely expand on, which has...since it's practical implementation on the server, been misused repeatedly. A lot of players finding themselves on the opposite end of underage characters are coming to the slow yet painful realization that most are just softplay adult characters under the guise of being underage. That every 15-17 year old weighs 200lbs, is 6 feet tall or is somewhere between overweight and threatening, or muscular and socially deranged to the point they go around calling off adults.

This comes off from the fact many players have yet to actually experience the reality that their depiction of troubled children go through, and solely base them off movies or TV shows. Or the fact that the actual players who saw themselves as troubled children are merely re-enacting their past in a way seen as overly-grandiose. Or in simpler terms, praising their past beyond what it truly was, seeing themselves as bigger, badder, better than reality. What this results into are repeated reports on (M) characters for their overextended actions where realistically speaking would not or should not occur against an adult person. Or the misinterpretation of what an underage person, criminal or not, would realistically do or act like.

This in and of itself is not just limited to the illegal roleplay spectrum, but to the fact there have been players in the past roleplaying dubious natures with underage characters of their own. And that, honestly, should have absolutely NO place in a roleplay server of ANY kind, let alone be allowed to have the tools to do so.

Another issue is to merely look at Davis High. A school for underage characters in which not a single day went by without any problem occurring whatsoever. The leadership of it struggles to maintain any semblance of control, and those participating in it do as they please, despite it being an absolutely horrendous and impractical depiction of an underage character in their scholar years.

Everyone at this point has seen an (M) character hit on an adult, (in)directly. Or seen an (M) character do something unfeasible. Or seen an (M) character forum report or be forum reported for a rather laughable matter that you'd never see a child put themselves in.

An Example:

The server is present through the third party software that is RAGE Multiplayer. That itself utilizes the game files of Rockstar's very own Grand Theft Auto V, a game released in 2013, and a sequel to many of Rockstar's previous titles of the same name such as Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (of which many roleplayers are familiar with), as well as a prequel to the already announced Grand Theft Auto VI. This game, has been been rated by ESRB to be Mature (17 and Older), much like every other game in the GTA franchise. This only permits underage people of acquiring the game with the parental permit and supervision of an adult (in a utopia). Grand Theft Auto has been known to possess excessive violent, adult-themes and drug usage, things children should not be presented to.

With that legal copy-paste out of the way, here are three games to put in perspective:

Grand Theft Auto V - No children present whatsoever or mention. The game contains adult themes, drugs, violence, nudity.
Cyberpunk 2077 - Children present as NPCs that only influence side quests at best, NPCs are kept immortal. The game contains adult themes, drugs, violence and recently limited nudity to underwear.
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Children present as NPCs that only influence side quests at best, NPCs are kept immortal. The game contains violence and limited nudity.

A Solution:

Completely abolish the utilization of underage characters, go back to only permitting 18+. This still allows current scripts such as fake IDs for bars and clubs to make sense due to the US Law preventing drinking unless 21 and over. Players will have to adapt and come up with a backstory to explain the character's underage years. Players will no longer have to be involved in turmoil in the shape of in-game or forum reports regarding whether a minor can overpower an adult, or do X, Y and Z.

EDIT: Due to some players providing constructive feedback and alternatives, I was able to gather some other possibilities to change how the current system functions, such as:
-Giving less HP to 12-16 year old characters and slightly less to 16-18 Y/O's. By @Arkster
-Create some sort of barrier, such as an application, to give a trusted status to players wishing to roleplay a minor or faction leaderships wishing to have participant players portray minor characters under the leadership's own discretion.

TL;DR: The server is living on a distorted reality by people with no experience of what they're doing or turning their troubled past into a Superman-like story of overachieving. And my solution is to completely abolish underage characters to prevent future problems in the form of forum reports of any and all sense.

Edited by Nine Tailed Fox
  • Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1

-100000000 you can word it as fancy as you  like yet I will never agree with this suggestion. You are claiming people are “portraying and exaggerating their troubled past” and skipping the backstory part when this is not the case as someone who comes from the illegal rp scene. It seems as though you believe 15-17 year olds in 2024 are just unable to function like adults and with that? You’re wrong lmao… the purpose of starting as a minor is FOR a backstory to develop into something bigger. Minor characters are a vital part of illegal & gang rp and removing them would only hurt a big chunk of the community.

thanks but no

• Upvote 14
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, princesa said:

-100000000 you can word it as fancy as you  like yet I will never agree with this suggestion. You are claiming people are “portraying and exaggerating their troubled past” and skipping the backstory part when this is not the case as someone who comes from the illegal rp scene. It seems as though you believe 15-17 year olds in 2024 are just unable to function like adults and with that? You’re wrong lmao… the purpose of starting as a minor is FOR a backstory to develop into something bigger. Minor characters are a vital part of illegal & gang rp and removing them would only hurt a big chunk of the community.

thanks but no

Looking at your profile picture and your argument, I find a quite obvious sense of irony. Saying children are a 'vital part' of illegal roleplay is such an utterly ridiculous take on the roleplay scene, I'm starting to believe other likeminded people like you have had some sort of trauma at a young age and decided to live with the fact it may very well be a normalized aspect for everyone.

I'll simplify this for you, though. So you don't think I'm wishing to be bashful on you personally or what you wish to roleplay, since I'm here because I believe this change is necessary, and not to make fun of people that currently make use of it.

It wouldn't hurt a 'big chunk' of the community. It would in fact push that chunk of the community to be more creative in writing a backstory for their character and starting off at the age of 18 from there. Instead of seeing underage characters perform ridiculous activities. So from what I'm gathering is you're calling it detrimental for those underage character roleplayers to be forced to have their characters all answer to the same laws and treatment and all adults? Because if that's the case, that's just feeding onto my argument that underage illegal characters are merely trying to avoid responsability and being called up to answer to things 18+ characters would be forced to by law.

So again, is it REALLY that detrimental for you to just roleplay an 18 year old with a small backstory and go from there? Is it REALLY that detrimental to completely take away the countless arguments of children ganging up on adults, or children trying to overpower adults? Is it REALLY that detrimental for you to say your 15 year old 6'0 tall overweight character trying to scare an adult is just 18 and already a teenager approaching their twenties?

If you want to do something, I expect you to be able to take the flak for it. People roleplaying kids are just trying to avoid responsability and the necessary fact that is tinging their roleplay with some semblance of common sense and how to behave and act in a realistic portrayal. Given the Forum Report section is constantly presented with an (M) doing something wrong? I have a strong belief that what I just outlined for you IS the case, and NEEDS to be STOPPED.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Looking at your profile picture and your argument, I find a quite obvious sense of irony. Saying children are a 'vital part' of illegal roleplay is such an utterly ridiculous take on the roleplay scene, I'm starting to believe other likeminded people like you have had some sort of trauma at a young age and decided to live with the fact it may very well be a normalized aspect for everyone.

I'll simplify this for you, though. So you don't think I'm wishing to be bashful on you personally or what you wish to roleplay, since I'm here because I believe this change is necessary, and not to make fun of people that currently make use of it.

It wouldn't hurt a 'big chunk' of the community. It would in fact push that chunk of the community to be more creative in writing a backstory for their character and starting off at the age of 18 from there. Instead of seeing underage characters perform ridiculous activities. So from what I'm gathering is you're calling it detrimental for those underage character roleplayers to be forced to have their characters all answer to the same laws and treatment and all adults? Because if that's the case, that's just feeding onto my argument that underage illegal characters are merely trying to avoid responsability and being called up to answer to things 18+ characters would be forced to by law.

So again, is it REALLY that detrimental for you to just roleplay an 18 year old with a small backstory and go from there? Is it REALLY that detrimental to completely take away the countless arguments of children ganging up on adults, or children trying to overpower adults? Is it REALLY that detrimental for you to say your 15 year old 6'0 tall overweight character trying to scare an adult is just 18 and already a teenager approaching their twenties?

If you want to do something, I expect you to be able to take the flak for it. People roleplaying kids are just trying to avoid responsability and the necessary fact that is tinging their roleplay with some semblance of common sense and how to behave and act in a realistic portrayal. Given the Forum Report section is constantly presented with an (M) doing something wrong? I have a strong belief that what I just outlined for you IS the case, and NEEDS to be STOPPED.

I’m not reading all this my love as you’re clearly trying to bash me for really no reason at all. You posted a suggestion and I simply responded, this is not a matter of back & forth. I just disagree with the suggestion & I’m sure many others disagree too. If you don’t want to face backlash don’t post a suggestion on a public forum. You take care now 😘

• Upvote 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

The problem is the player, not the character. If you experience any issues with a minor character, you can report the player, and they'll be punished if they fail to roleplay correctly. If you find any unrealistic minor character and character development is your concern, you can forward a roleplay quality report to RPQM, and we'll check it.

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The problem is the player, not the character. If you experience any issues with a minor character, you can report the player, and they'll be punished if they fail to roleplay correctly. If you find any unrealistic minor character and character development is your concern, you can forward a roleplay quality report to RPQM, and we'll check it.

This is merely a textbook response that you as a staff member have to uphold, and I won't judge you for that. But I will tell you with all my confidence and experience that will go nowhere. You would do nothing else all day but review reports or RPQMs if that were the case. And given the server's current state, this is already seen by an afflicting and growing number of reports filed every day, proving the argument through and through.

You're right, the problem is the player, not the character. And the thing is there's a large amount of players causing this problem to begin with. Taking away the ability to portray these flawed characters entirely minimizes the volume of reports or improper depictions of characters, thus easing your workload as an RPQM admin to begin with. People forget the bodily development of an underage person is far different from an adult's, which leads to most people thinking that the taller or heavier their (M) character is, the harder it is for them to be overpowered, which is utterly unrealistic and a play-2-win mentality.

I've experienced issues, repeatedly, throughout my stay on this server. And I can also say without a doubt those people WERE NOT punished. I've ran across several unrealistic minor characters, and they were NOT punished. They are mine and the community's concern as a whole. Yet this is a problem that is overlooked because the illegal side of the community relies so much on these types of characters to avoid being held accountable for their acts that it snuffs out the experiences and complaints of those that have suffered throughout the server's very own implemention of minors from it.

I've made this suggestion with the goal to do just that, to surpass the amounts of times players' complaints are overlooked and ignored. I think it's time we as a community put our foot down and all grow up to begin with. If Rockstar didn't put children in their GTA Franchise for a very clear reason, why would this community be any different, and why are people openly opposed to fixing it as well?

Respectfully, -1000000000000~ no, never. Report the players breaking the rules and report for poor portrayal on case by case basis.

Shout out to the amazing CPS faction of (m) chars and others like those (m) chars who actually create realistic child characters, and shout out Davis High. Maybe don't lobby ALL characters into one "problem" just because you personally don't like a certain style of character.

I'll give it an hour before this thread is locked lmfao.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
Posted (edited)

So as someone that RPs in Davis High (as a teacher) I feel like I gotta give my opinion. The minor characters that I've seen behave as you'd expect a bunch of teens would. Problem is you see minor characters and you expect them to behave and look like 5 year olds when that's not  the case. They're teens just a couple years away from entering adulthood. Most of the minor characters at Davis High ARE criminal characters in gangs but their RP so far as been great.  There's also a very good ammount of legal M characters who are doing GOD TIER RP out there. Punishing these people would be unfair.

Now I will say this, I have witnessed M characters trying to engage in +18 type roleplay but if you see this type of thing just report them. There's no need to eliminate minor characters as a whole because of a few bad apples.

Edited by Ralof45
  • Upvote 7

What is this even based on besides your own anecdotal experiences? Nothing here is sourced and there's no evidence to back what you're saying, except you complaining about players behind M characters? There are many ways to address your complaints about the portrayal of M characters and this isn't one of them. Respectfully, this just seems like a vent post. 

• Upvote 1

-1. This made no sense to even write. Not only are most factions filled with minority minor characters, but they play a large part in the servers roleplay scene as a whole. Getting rid of them is like you basically asking for a faction-less server. 

• Upvote 3
  • Nine Tailed Fox changed the title to Abolish underage characters; change their HP or change how they can be accessed by the community at large.
  • Nervous locked this topic