Some new player feedback.

Wicked One

Some quick and brief feedback from the perspective of a new player.

This server feels very outdated.

Playing here feels like getting in a time machine to a 2008 SA-MP roleplay server. The website gives off this vibe of the next generation of GTA Roleplay, but when you actually get in game you find that everything is still command based, clunky menus, no UI and no polish within gameplay/animations or immersion. Instead of innovating it seems to be trying to replicate the past so faithfully that it brings the bad parts of sa-mp roleplay with it, things like having to run up to every house on a street to find somewhere to rent, for a quick example. 

I think this server, as the only viable spiritual successor text RP server in GTA V, has the potential to become something far more popular than SA-MP servers like LS-RP ever were.
If only it would move away from the past and take advantage of more modern features such as a clean and properly functioning inventory and phone UI, tying animations to in game actions etc.

There's nothing more off putting to a new player in 2019 than having to memorize a million commands or spam /help and the personal assistant every 20 seconds in order to function in game. When the standard for intuitive end user experience has been set by GTA:Online itself and the massively popular voice RP servers, command based navigation and controlling your character's phone, inventory, weapons and vehicles through the chat box commands truly feels like the dark ages.

This server only appeals to those nostalgic for the glory days of SA-MP/LS-RP roleplay and those who are familiar with and used to the faults and limits of that era, if it wants to become the future of the text RP genre it needs to get with the times and get on the same level as it's competition.

• Applaud 2
1 minute ago, Wicked One said:

but when you actually get in game you find that everything is still command based, clunky menus, no UI and no polish within gameplay/animations or immersion. Instead of innovating it seems to be trying to replicate the past

1 minute ago, Wicked One said:

If only it would move away from the past and take advantage of more modern features such as a clean and properly functioning inventory and phone UI, tying animations to in game actions etc.

It's not that we're intentionally "trying/forcing" to stay using commands, it's that UI programming (using CEF) is a skill most of us in the development team simply do not have. It relies on web (HTML/JS/CSS knowledge) and ability to make nice looking UI, most of the development team have near-zero experience in doing this and as such we've been unable to make a lot of systems UI-based.

There is however an internal focus to eventually work on UI, we have several systems we'd like to make more UI-based, and I believe one of the devs with CEF experience intends to make a system that makes it considerably easier for us non-UI devs to produce functional UI we can interact with with little CEF knowledge.

It's not intentionally done like this, it's simply a product of us lacking skills in CEF UI. Once we have the people/systems in place to put more CEF in, we'll do so.

• Upvote 1

I agree it feels a rather old school, but that's why I love it. I enjoyed samp back in the day and this server is the closest to what it was back then. Even though I like it I do agree that some parts of the script should be updated, phone system, more menus and so on, but I'd prefer for the server to stay similar to samp times, just with some updates.

It's also very nice of you to come and write a thread like that, providing facts and ideas on how to make it better. You should stay on the server because it will be updated, in fact, it already is being updated frequently and those updates are only for the better.

Edited by Lance
  • Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Pascal said:

It's not that we're intentionally "trying/forcing" to stay using commands, it's that UI programming (using CEF) is a skill most of us in the development team simply do not have. It relies on web (HTML/JS/CSS knowledge) and ability to make nice looking UI, most of the development team have near-zero experience in doing this and as such we've been unable to make a lot of systems UI-based.

There is however an internal focus to eventually work on UI, we have several systems we'd like to make more UI-based, and I believe one of the devs with CEF experience intends to make a system that makes it considerably easier for us non-UI devs to produce functional UI we can interact with with little CEF knowledge.

It's not intentionally done like this, it's simply a product of us lacking skills in CEF UI. Once we have the people/systems in place to put more CEF in, we'll do so.

That's great to know. I can see this server becoming massive if it can capture and retain the new generation of RPers whilst maintaining the quality of roleplay from the previous generation.

4 minutes ago, Wicked One said:

That's perfect, but needs to be unmissable in-game by new players. That's the type of thing that I'd like to see in an app on an in game phone interface for example.

Things like a CEF phone are already planned and would be bound to get things like that available to it, however there is a help menu also that has specific topics that might have something in right now, those generally were enough for me when I started in September last year.

It feels outdated because you're used to SA-MP and how it moved forward through the years to how it is now. Same thing is going to happen with RageMP and gta world. I can feel that this is just the beginning of what could and most likely will be something much much bigger, it just needs some time to develop itself through the years, just like SA-MP and LS-RP.

7 hours ago, Pascal said:

It's not only about lacking skills in the CEF UI, because we had some very good talents like JoeWarner in the development team and we had our own OS and laptop system and I'm very confident that @Everett can do some amazing in game menus and UI, but the problem is that CEF is implemented VERY badly in rage MP and it's laggy, buggy, crashes a lot, not responsive and other things, and I myself wouldn't want our server to be based on CEF in it's current state, because look at the MDC for example, it takes a very long time to pop up, sometimes it doesn't even pop up, when it does it's laggy and if you try to do something more complex on it (like opening up a drop down menu) it will just crash your game, that's why most of the people in PD just use the web variant by tabbing out or by using another computer or screen.

I came from MTA to gtaW, but I have to say that gtaW is getting there. MTA or SAMP have been around for... 10 years maybe? They're optimized as fuck. GTA 5 on PC is pretty recent let alone RageMP. It takes years and years to properly optimize and develop a multiplayer client to what MTA/SAMP is today.