Allow players to /report for their fines from their previous NC to be removed.

6 hours ago, Moonsong said:

This is what I suggested instead earlier, but was gaslit. It's the only sensible option. If they are literally unable to pay, THEN they can request admin permission if their reason is good enough. If they were force CKed by their faction or through an application, that'd also be a good enough reason.

If a character can pay a fine, absolutely no reason why they should not. For those saying it doesn't effect anyone's roleplay, that is also wrong. Because it does, the person who issued the fine can't then arrest you for failing to pay it. That and the fact that the money from the fines isn't distributed to legal factions as a result of you not paying. It directly effects whole factions, at least when it comes to larger fines. 

although I think the fines and the roleplay behind them is minor and nothing to be missed; I can’t argue with your logic here.

Or what if when someone NCs and has outstanding fines they get a warning or something that the fine amount will be taken from their bank account upon the NC? 

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Moonsong said:

This is what I suggested instead earlier, but was gaslit. It's the only sensible option. If they are literally unable to pay, THEN they can request admin permission if their reason is good enough. If they were force CKed by their faction or through an application, that'd also be a good enough reason.

If a character can pay a fine, absolutely no reason why they should not. For those saying it doesn't effect anyone's roleplay, that is also wrong. Because it does, the person who issued the fine can't then arrest you for failing to pay it. That and the fact that the money from the fines isn't distributed to legal factions as a result of you not paying. It directly effects whole factions, at least when it comes to larger fines. 

Tell me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression if you delete a character on your slot (Thus reset its money, vehicles, assets, etc) it will also reset your vehicle fines? If you namechange the character slot you keep everything, the bad and the good. I've never deleted a character slot before but I was always under the impression this is how it worked or am I wrong? 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Tell me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression if you delete a character on your slot (Thus reset its money, vehicles, assets, etc) it will also reset your vehicle fines? If you namechange the character slot you keep everything, the bad and the good. I've never deleted a character slot before but I was always under the impression this is how it worked or am I wrong? 

Yeah, that's correct. I tend to delete my characters most of the time, as the assets usually weren't a good fit from one to the next and I honestly don't care much for assets tbh. Most players however, namechange to keep their assets if they don't care for the newbie grind. Which is understandable but fines aren't covered in this example. A better option as @Thurston Howl and myself have suggested, would be to have fines PAID automatically from balances and (as an addition to that suggestion) asset values upon namechange.

For example, a fine is 30k, but they only have 15. That would be paid automatically and they'd have to choose an asset to sell back to the system to cover the remaining difference before they could namechange. The remainder would go into their balance. This to me, sounds like a fair consequence.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

It's not a thing for a reason. 

You can't keep doing insanities and, at some point, name-change your character to avoid payment.

It works with jail time, and it's okay, but one way to help the economy is fines.

If you commit a crime, just be ready to pay the fine; it's as simple as that.

Name change deletes your IC record and wipes your prison time. It does not delete your fines; it usually 'only' reaches up to, say, $20-30k if you did something pretty serious.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Forwarded for discussion but also an official clarification regarding this as everyone seems to have a different take on it.

For now however, as the fines remain even after name-changes, it's that way for a reason and should be paid. Whether or not this will remain this way will be discussed by LFM and Management in the near future.