Cooking

ICE

Ability to cook foods.

You'd need the ingredients and a stove to cook it on.

For example:

Beans on toast, very simple, you need bread and baked beans, you put the beans in the microwave, toast the bread, and you got it.

You'd be able to cook more advanced meals depending on the ingredients.

This is something that I assume would take a decent amount of effort, so I think there would have to be a revamp for food for it to actually be beneficial, right now I see it cool for RP.

I'm not sure how you could revamp food without wanting to add hunger/thirst bars because that's too "RPG".

I personally think hunger and thirst meters are something we should have, it's not really RPG, it's just realistic, and makes things more of a necessity then an "if you want to." 

I think the biggest thing for RP, is reminding people that they're RPing the LIFE OF they're character. 

You might RP a druglord, that drug lord's still got to eat. You might RP a homeless person, that homeless person still has to eat.

But I know the majority of people are against food/thirst meters, so maybe there's another way of integrating life aspects into RP, because right now everything is "RP if you want". You could make a server with the ability to chat and /me, with a couple cars and say, hey, RP having $10,000,000 if you want, RP taking a shit if you want.

But we don't do that, because you need to actually work to have $10,000,000, you actually need to eat to live.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2

I actually really love this idea. Restaurants as they are now are so goddamn boring. I can see arguments against a hunger meter sure, but if we're doing things like getting and drinking alcohol and drinks at more night-life oriented establishments, I think we should have something for restaurants too. It boils down to this: Roleplay without game mechanics to enforce it can be incredibly boring. Not always, but most of the time. We see this in every aspect of the game. Pretending to have money, would be dumb. Having money, is not. Pretending your car is fast is not fun. Having a fast car is.

Pretending that your character is consuming food is not fun. Having a food item that you were served and can actually use is.

2 hours ago, ICE said:

-

Hunger and thirst indicators have never worked or encouraged role play at all. It's already been said once, it will just be viewed as a chore and people will run in to fill up and run out afterwards. Similar to how people don't role play getting gas for their vehicle. 

Role play shouldn't be forced, and that's all something like this would promote if it were an addition to the game mode, and to be fair - it's RPG imo, even if it is realistic. If someone is role playing a homeless person, then yeah technically they have to eat but how would it make sense for them to eat without any money? If they had money, they surely wouldn't be homeless excluding the less than substantial amount of money that a generous person walking past would give and that's usually not a frequent occurrence. 

This can all be role played without being forced to eat because the script says so. Generally, it's frowned upon.

It's still a game, and specific 'ideas' such as this doesn't always make it a good thing. 

Discussion like this is similar to how people argue drugs are useless unless they give benefits like more HP, running faster and the like. There's ways to circumvent this without adding complete RPG elements to the game, it just requires thinking and not just jumping to the conclusion that the way to 'fix' it is by adding hunger and thirst or advantageous features.

Edited by bool
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually really like the idea of food and drink meters, it's not more RPG to me than having a life meter.  It gives more meaning to doing the RP chores of eating or going to the hospital or anything like that and gives more purpose for having restaurants. 

It also reminds people they do -need- to eat and drink, it adds immersion, or potentially they pass out or something.  I love the idea of recipes and cooking, just like I really enjoy making moonshine or any of the currently possible recipe-style play. 

Yes to being able to cook different items that the player could perhaps name themselves or have an admin name them. Would definitely give a bit more immersion than sitting on a diet of tacos and burgers.

No to having hunger/thirst meters. I personally don’t need a script to remind me how to roleplay surviving every day of my life. The same way I don’t need an obesity script to make me roleplay exercise, people do it for the pure development of their character, not because the script told them they have to.

Plus there’s nothing wrong with saying that your character would have had food when you’re going offline to have dinner, so having a food/drink bar would just make your average city dweller run around with 10 tacos on him. 

Of course, just my opinion.