Weapon attachments- Silencers

Mogambo

7 minutes ago, PeopleKind said:

Not even close. Suppressors don't work like they do in video games & movies. They're still very loud, in order to get actual silenced sounds like that, the silencer would need to either be VERY large, or you'd have to have subsonic ammo, which the average person would find extremely difficult to find. If anything, that scene would sound like this, it'd be different obviously, but this is the best I've found so far. Would in no way, shape, or form be a quiet, near silent "poof"; 

Nobody's talking about silent shot like in cartoons. But I believe it should follow its real purpose. It's acoustic intensity is downplayed a decent amount, that's why in gun ranges when being used, you can shoot it without using earplugs, also reducing the distance from which the shot could be heard. In a scenario, you wouldn't wake the whole neighborhood up just because. Of course, I understand that some people will use it in inappropriate scenarios but if that would be the case, it could be enforced by administration on what sort of moment it can or cannot be used. 

15 hours ago, Mogambo said:

Thats the whole point of a suppressor 

Experienced firearms and suppressor person chiming in, this is NOT the point of a suppressor. Believe it or not, but suppressors require extremely specific and rare (as in you usually have to make it yourself) ammunition in order to achieve a 'quiet' effect, and even then it's still loud enough to observe and detect through literal walls. Anyone that says a suppressor is intended to make a weapon quiet enough to use 'undetected' is grossly oversimplifying the function of a suppressor, which is typically utilized more to change the firearm report into something that, while identifiable as a gun, isn't identifiable as a weapon report you'd typically hear the enemy using. It'd be up there as the firearms equivalent of wearing a disguise - it doesn't make you invisible, it just changes how people perceive you when they see/hear you.

5 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Experienced firearms and suppressor person chiming in, this is NOT the point of a suppressor. Believe it or not, but suppressors require extremely specific and rare (as in you usually have to make it yourself) ammunition in order to achieve a 'quiet' effect, and even then it's still loud enough to observe and detect through literal walls. Anyone that says a suppressor is intended to make a weapon quiet enough to use 'undetected' is grossly oversimplifying the function of a suppressor, which is typically utilized more to change the firearm report into something that, while identifiable as a gun, isn't identifiable as a weapon report you'd typically hear the enemy using. It'd be up there as the firearms equivalent of wearing a disguise - it doesn't make you invisible, it just changes how people perceive you when they see/hear you.

I meant it is suppose to lower thd DB and make it harder to pin point where the sound is coming from no? I never said make them completely silent. Ofc they've got to have a pop. But since this is a RP server i figured the pros could be that they're not heard when fired inside an interior to players outside and vice versa. It would be a cool add on for the illegal community.

6 hours ago, Mogambo said:

I meant it is suppose to lower thd DB and make it harder to pin point where the sound is coming from no?

With extremely specific ammunition, yes, but that's typically only in active combat environments (as in, rapidfire discharges, explosions, and military vehicles trundling around), otherwise you go back to the issue of it still being audible and identifiable as gunfire even through walls.

Only way to achieve the audio report you're describing is to reduce the powder-load beyond even the ranges for subsonic reports. We're talking about a total bullet velocity that would translate in-game to a third of the damage of a normal bullet at best.

So, yeah, I can see this happening if the damage per bullet is reduced to just a third. Anything more than that, and a suppressor should literally do nothing but change the gun to sound like an equally loud but different gun 

Edited by DasFroggy

Silencers are illegal in the state of California.

IF this ever gets accepted, it would have to go through IFM.

However I don't feel like this will increase the roleplay quality of the server. This'll just increase shootouts, and we already have enough of those. -1

• Naeno locked this topic