Jump to content

Change the rule regarding "Looting characters after a shootout in a public space."


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, munnezza said:

Nobody said anything about looting the gun from an active police scene. The situation explained above is evidence tampering before police arrives to the scene.

 

Can't LEOs not make everything about themselves?

 

'I didn't see the cop there.'

 

'I didn't know there was a police scene.'

 

'There's no tape up so it's not a scene.'

 

Repeat ad nauseum.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, munnezza said:

Nobody said anything about looting the gun from an active police scene. The situation explained above is evidence tampering before police arrives to the scene.

 

Can't LEOs not make everything about themselves?

It's not about LEO's, it's about being able to trust the community with this power; and clearly, this is something that cannot be done as seen previously before it was removed. You'd have people riding around the city on bikes waiting for shootouts to happen so that they could steal their guns. It ain't DayZ, it's unfortunate you went through this but the alternative is 10x worse.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Barbary said:

Absolutely not. I'm not going back to the dark age of people blitzing police lines because they wanted to jack weapons off of their homeboy's corpse. This past month and some change has been the most tolerable that crime scene security has ever been because the people who are hanging around do it because they want RP out of the scene, not sniffing around for weapon scripts like they're playing Diablo and need to get all the colored loot off of their party member.

A very understandable concern! 

 

However, I am talking about modifying the "no looting bodies in public rule" not the "no looting bodies while LEO is on scene" rule so the situation you are referring to, won't happen. And again as outlined by myself above - you will still need staff to come and help given the person is dead so if staff suspect their reason is not valid, then, they can simply decline. 

 

If you quickly read through the situation I outlined, would you not agree in that situation, it'd be acceptable for me to take the weapon? 

 

I did call an admin and ask them, to which I was told I should read the rules and not waste their time and, if I thought it was unfair, to post a suggestion - so here I am. 

 

22 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

 

Last time this discussion came up, Nervous said it was never going to happen.

 

Apparently that hasn't changed either, as staff have still somehow managed to continue catching people looting corpses after shootouts like this is Fortnite. If the goal is to get this turned around, you'll have one hell of a hill to climb.

Is that so? Slightly frustrating that an IC action that makes total sense is restricted due to an OOC rule though. As mentioned above, it was a staff member who told me to post this suggestion if I didn't agree with it, and I don't agree with it. The IC situation I laid out, makes perfect sense for me to take the weapon before LEO are even contacted.

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Barbary said:

 

'I didn't see the cop there.'

 

'I didn't know there was a police scene.'

 

'There's no tape up so it's not a scene.'

 

Repeat ad nauseum.

 

1 minute ago, JustFlippy said:

A very understandable concern! 

 

However, I am talking about modifying the "no looting bodies in public rule" not the "no looting bodies while LEO is on scene" rule so the situation you are referring to, won't happen. And again as outlined by myself above - you will still need staff to come and help given the person is dead so if staff suspect their reason is not valid, then, they can simply decline. 

 

If you quickly read through the situation I outlined, would you not agree in that situation, it'd be acceptable for me to take the weapon? 

 

I did call an admin and ask them, to which I was told I should read the rules and not waste their time and, if I thought it was unfair, to post a suggestion - so here I am. 

 

Is that so? Slightly frustrating that an IC action that makes total sense is restricted due to an OOC rule though. As mentioned above, it was a staff member who told me to post this suggestion if I didn't agree with it, and I don't agree with it. The IC situation I laid out, makes perfect sense for me to take the weapon before LEO are even contacted.

Again, I feel I need to make it clear what I said near the end of my suggestion:

 

"Just to really quickly address this being abused: You'll still need staff to come and give you the weapon, given the person is dead. So staff will be able to review each situation by a case-by-case biases. I'm not suggesting to simply allow us to run our own command to take it."

 

Unless I'm mistaken here, a staff member is needed to collect the script so, they will be able to enforce any rule breaks? 

 

I am talking about being there, right as the killing happened. NOT walking over after the fact, only if you, yourself, were there, and are too, armed. That's it. 

Edited by JustFlippy
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

+1 

I believe if it's a matter of getting rid of evidence and isn't an active police investigation then what harm could it possibly do?
Especially in regards to active illegal factions where a member is downed and his fellowship wishes to avoid any unwanted attention. 
Saw someone mention randoms just popping up and looting, to that I say it'll just need to be enforced like any other rule that people get caught breaking. 
 

Spoiler

IRL this happens fairly often where someone is armed and injured, their associates will take whatever drugs or firearms they have and stash them away until the situation is cleared up. It helps to stop police from focusing on more than just the reason they were called or forces them to do some real detective work behind the scenes. ICly if the police want answers bad enough they'll have to put in a little leg work, ultimately creating more RP surrounding this PKs/CKs. 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, JustFlippy said:

 

Again, I feel I need to make it clear what I said near the end of my suggestion:

 

"Just to really quickly address this being abused: You'll still need staff to come and give you the weapon, given the person is dead. So staff will be able to review each situation by a case-by-case biases. I'm not suggesting to simply allow us to run our own command to take it."

 

Unless I'm mistaken here, a staff member is needed to collect the script so, they will be able to enforce any rule breaks? 

 

I am talking about being there, right as the killing happened. NOT walking over after the fact, only if you, yourself, were there, and are too, armed. That's it. 

Staff is already very busy, with sometimes reports taking upwards of two hours during peak. Adding this, would only slow it down even more. Though I do fully understand where you're coming from!

Edited by sky~
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, sky~ said:

Staff is already very busy, with sometimes reports taking upwards of two hours during peak. Adding this, would only slow it down even more. Though I do fully understand where you're coming from!

I fully understand this, and my gratitude toward the staff doing this on their free time is endless.

 

In a situation where an admin can't be contacted, you may still do the RP of taking the gun then simply PM the officers on scene to say you've done the RP, and why. Hell - don't even NEED to give us the gun, just disregard the fact the gun is on the person.

 

I fully understand how this can be seen as "HMMM SCRIPTS GIVE ME" but I can assure you, it's not. It's about IC actions and playing it smart.

 

Hell, I'd accept not getting the script at all, so long as the cops can't then search me for finding a gun on my dead friend. 

 

Thanks for the feedback 🙂

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, JustFlippy said:

 

Again, I feel I need to make it clear what I said near the end of my suggestion:

 

"Just to really quickly address this being abused: You'll still need staff to come and give you the weapon, given the person is dead. So staff will be able to review each situation by a case-by-case biases. I'm not suggesting to simply allow us to run our own command to take it."

 

Unless I'm mistaken here, a staff member is needed to collect the script so, they will be able to enforce any rule breaks? 

 

I am talking about being there, right as the killing happened. NOT walking over after the fact, only if you, yourself, were there, and are too, armed. That's it. 

 

Look, man. I can tell you're coming at this in good faith, and I respect you for it. But this boils down to something that while looks decent in practice, the reality and history of what's happened serverside doesn't give me any faith that it'll be a net improvement.

 

Admins already have a heavy backlog, as mentioned before. And the problem is that it's hard to validate that a character is actually close with another character.

 

There's also the issue that this could incetivize metagame. 'Hey man, I got killed in a shootout, you're in my crew so go grab it.' Is this against the rules? 100%. Will people still do it thinking they won't get caught or try to come up with a reasonable excuse? 100%.

 

It's messy, and it'll snowball into a bigger mess.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, JustFlippy said:

Is that so?

 

Too many people were doing it, whenever possible, even when it didn't make sense. The criminal community was warned as a whole that a new rule would be implemented if they didn't self-regulate, and literally nothing changed for the better (it got worse actually), so staff shrugged and added the rule to curb the wildly unrealistic looting conditions.

 

Now people are trying workarounds. Had a dude this week claim that it should've been okay to loot because he was worried the corpse might use a gun to fight back. A corpse, that the dude had literally shit to put into the state of being a corpse... So in his head the logic of grabbing the gun "for his safety" was to put the corpse of the guard into his trunk, drive to the middle of the desert, and wait for the timer to tick down.

 

This is like a coke-head insisting they'll kick the habit if we just give them coke again.

Link to comment

As an LEO RPer, I think this is a very nice suggestion that as a matter of fact, will bring the illegal & legal RPers closer together if tweaked & implemented fairly. This rule modification suggestion doesn't want the rule to be reversed, simply edited for very specific IC situations. If it's ONLY edited to be "You may only loot a body if said body is a very close friend to your character and your character was witness to the incident in question.", then I don't see an issue, really.

 

This suggestion clearly states it doesn't want the rule in it's entirety to be reversed, simply adjusted to make more sense from an IC perspective. As an LEO RPer, I support this, actually.

 

HOWEVER, I strongly believe that the rule should be that any items taken from said body can NOT be given back to the original owner of said items. It'd be extremely unfair to just loot a gun from a dead faction mate & give it back when they respawn. To keep it fair on all sides, maybe have a log system that LFM/IFM can see for faction discords like the PK/CK war log system they already utilize? Except for what items/guns/etc were taken from whom, basic situation details, & screenies. I dunno.

 

I support the suggestion as long as it can be made in a way that prevents the items being given back to whoever died.

Edited by PeopleKind
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...