Change the rule regarding "Looting characters after a shootout in a public space."

What am I suggesting: Add exceptions to this rule, to allow for in some cases, bodies to be "looted" for illegal firearms for very good IC reason.

Why should this be added?: Let me present you a situation that happened IC, just yesterday:

While out in with ten other riders, a drive-by happened in which a high ranking, fully patched and vested member of our MC got shot and killed. He, like all of us, had an illegal firearm on his person so now we're faced with two choices, and ONLY two choices due to this OOC rule:

1) Run away to avoid the risk of being searched, leaving your friend and brother to slowly bleed out and die - lose all the RP related to that. Very realistic for some, I'm sure, but not those who's entire club is built on respect and brotherhood.

2) Stay and do the RP, try and save your brothers life but run the very possible risk of being searched once law enforcement get there, given you're all wearing the same vest, with the same patches, and the crime was gun-related. He has a gun? Not unreasonable for law enforcement to assume you have one.

I picked option two personally, given it is an RP server and I am here for RP - it makes no sense for me to leave my friend to just die. The most common sense thing to do, would be to take his pistol so when law enforcement arrive, there is no reasonable grounds to search the rest of us and we can all carry on with RP. 

Due to this OOC rule, It's much more in my benefit to simply run away, engage in zero RP, and allow my brother to bleed out and die (icly, don't know he's dead), than it is to stay there, engage in RP; trying to save him, as well as engaging in RP with law enforcement due to that firearm. Seems silly and unrealistic in my eyes. 

So, this is what I'm suggesting in terms of changing said rule:

If you are close to the person who died (very good friends, part of the same faction etc etc), and were involved in the situation, you are allowed to remove illegal firearms from their person, to keep the RP realistic. I understand this rule is here to stop people just running up after a shoot out and doing /me grabs gun, but even with this slight modification you'd still be unable to do that, unless you know the person who died, you were there, and you, yourself, or other people in your gang there, are armed. This isn't script greed, this is simply trying to maintain a realistic response that protects the reputation of the dead person, and, keeps your fellow faction/gang members safe while allowing for interactions with law enforcement and EMS services. More RP = Better for the server, no?

Just to really quickly address this being abused: You'll still need staff to come and give you the weapon, given the person is dead. So staff will be able to review each situation by a case-by-case biases. I'm not suggesting to simply allow us to run our own command to take it.

Open to any comments or criticism to my suggestion, thanks for taking the time to read 🙂

EDIT after feedback:

A lot of people have the concerns of this being abused, or, it adding to an already busy staff team. So a fair compromise:

You are able to do the RP of taking the gun if the reasons outlined below are met:

• You are part of the same gang/faction
  • You were physically on scene, saw it happen, know he's armed and you, yourself are armed.
  • No LEO or EMS is currently on scene

The gun will not oocly be given to you, and you'll need to do a /do or PM the cops stating there is no firearm on his person, and you gain nothing, only the RP from the situation. 

Edited by JustFlippy
Editing after feedback
  • Upvote 8
Just now, JustFlippy said:

Can I ask your reasoning why, rather than just no?

Last time this discussion came up, Nervous said it was never going to happen.

Apparently that hasn't changed either, as staff have still somehow managed to continue catching people looting corpses after shootouts like this is Fortnite. If the goal is to get this turned around, you'll have one hell of a hill to climb.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely not. I'm not going back to the dark age of people blitzing police lines because they wanted to jack weapons off of their homeboy's corpse. This past month and some change has been the most tolerable that crime scene security has ever been because the people who are hanging around do it because they want RP out of the scene, not sniffing around for weapon scripts like they're playing Diablo and need to get all the colored loot off of their party member.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Barbary said:

Absolutely not. I'm not going back to the dark age of people blitzing police lines because they wanted to jack weapons off of their homeboy's corpse. This past month and some change has been the most tolerable that crime scene security has ever been because the people who are hanging around do it because they want RP out of the scene, not sniffing around for weapon scripts like they're playing Diablo and need to get all the colored loot off of their party member.

Nobody said anything about looting the gun from an active police scene. The situation explained above is evidence tampering before police arrives to the scene.

Can't LEOs not make everything about themselves?

• Upvote 1