On playing relatives (Rule 3, Metagaming)

So I was just informed that I an unable to play the parents of one of my characters, or even their half-sister because they are considered in breach of this section in Rule 3

All characters you create cannot interact with each other in any way. You may not use a third party to transfer IC information from one of your characters to another one of your characters either. You may not reference any of your other characters.

I can understand why this snippet is included. There are plenty of people who would abuse alt characters by claiming they are relatives, from using it as an excuse to share a pool of supplies, to just creating infinite and identical brothers every time one dies with the intent of vengeance.

However, I think the rule should specify abusers of that system, not those who play relatives fairly and immersively. For example, my stories usually contain a cast of family members, who are all unique from one another in both personality, motivations, and knowledge. Two characters in this family that exist at the same time may reference one another, but are otherwise independent given their often negative opinions of the other sibling. In the case where a family member dies, I may replace them with another family member, however that new family member would have none of the original's knowledge. For example, they would know the original was dead, but not who killed them or why. This has lead to some fun RP scenarios where, my replacement family member actually befriended the killer of the previous, not knowing ICly their actions.

Also, I wanted to point out the lack of the word relative or family member made searching this rule notably hard. I wasn't even aware I couldn't play family members because its a single small sentence hidden amongst 20 other multi-paragraph rules. Its very easy to miss. Even if my appeal to allow relative characters given they are played immersively is rejected, a change in wording should be considered.

Thank you for your time.

i feel that, unfortunately, as a community, we cannot give people a looser leash than they currently have. this'd just result in more abuse, and honestly - it's nigh impossible to NOT metagame when playing a close family member. They'd obviously know about important going-ons their sibling/parent told them, but .. that can't be a thing, given, metagaming. 

• Upvote 1

Highly encourage you to seek out real players to roleplay family members. It's the kind of roleplay venue that (in my humble opinion), when pulled off right, can be an extremely enjoyable experience. Something I personally look(ed) for myself.

The rule's there for a reason, but it shouldn't discourage you from pursuing that kind of roleplay with others.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Suraru said:

. I wasn't even aware I couldn't play family members because its a single small sentence hidden amongst 20 other multi-paragraph rules. Its very easy to miss

Amen.

We use too many useless words in the rules as that people can be reasonably expected to be fully orientated based on the application process alone.

On the matter at hand:

3 hours ago, Suraru said:

I don't think we should cater to roleplayers with lower integrity and limit those with higher.

Playing relatives of characters you played before in a dynamic environment will compromise your integrity, as @Kari pointed out already.

There's literally no way around it - except for completely blinding out pre-existing storylines and avoiding contact with them.

In which case the reasonable question comes up, why a connection to begin with when it only causes such?

The keyword is "Dynamic Environment".

The problem , if this rule was altered, wouldn't even be assets abuse or such.
it'd be the flood of sons&daughters/brothers&Sisters/mommies&Daddies avenging their parents/siblings/kids

• Upvote 1

I was the one that got that specific part of the rules added.

Long story short, being related to another character is an easy excuse to use multiple characters to work towards a common goal. Characters should be unique and have their own interests and agendas shaped by IC events. In the past, people were using multiple characters to push their own OOC agenda to try to influence IC events. There was one situation where a character got CKed, and the same player returned on that character's IC brother to report her missing and start an investigation. If something major like that was to happen while you're RPing two related characters, it would be impossible to not reference what's going on. With all the conflict that happens, it's inevitable that you'll be put in a situation where one person discusses something your character's family member did. The metagaming rule requires you to not involve yourself in what your other characters do, and to be in line with the rule you would have to act like the family member does not exist.

I can't imagine any situations where RPing your own character's family members would bring anything positive personally. There's way too many avenues to abuse this and no upsides at all.

Edited by Keane
  • Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, Keane said:

The metagaming rule requires you to not involve yourself in what your other characters do, and to be in line with the rule you would have to act like the family member does not exist.

So, quick question on this, would it be ok to play family members that are largely uninvolved in their family's lives?

I mentioned I have two half sisters, who generally never communicate. They might mention each other from time to time, but never talk enough to share information about their goings-on. If one character was to die, the other would eventually find out about it, could be sad, but ultimately would still go about their day and their story, separated from the deceased. For the most part, all they would share is a last name, and childhood memories. They would still be their own character , and wouldn't try to do any vengeance quests, or even share a friend group because they know next to nothing about their sibling's life.

Sometimes I have forgotten which things which character knows, but honestly that's a general issue with playing more than one character.