whats the point of not breaking the rules

3 minutes ago, Gore said:

Been here since the start and we were way more lax. 
I'm fairly heavy handed with my punishments, because I'm pretty good at sniffing out when people are lying on things.

That's another thing, and I'm glad you brought it up...

Lying. There should be a zero tolerance policy on that. If it happens once, it should be straight to a ban until appealed. If someone is willing to lie to staff, it shows they're not just breaking the rules, they're aware of it, and disinterested in actually learning. As it is now? ...people get warnings, admin jails, but I've yet to see anyone appropriately banned for showing such flagrant disregard by literally proving that they're going to be dishonest with the people that are trying to just keep things running.

• Applaud 1
2 hours ago, Gore said:

I give most people chances. The old saying is true. Give em enough rope and they'll hang themselves. 
Sucks for the time being but unless they do something egregious, they get a chance like everyone else...or else when a good rper makes a mistake then they're gone forever. That wouldn't be fair imo. Can't punish everyone for the sins of the few.

If you see 15 minute ajails for things, it's mostly because it's a first offense. I jail pretty hard for repeat offenses and even ban with condensed offenses.

"unless they do something egregious, they get a chance like everyone else...or else when a good rper makes a mistake then they're gone forever."

No, this is part of the problem. This is not true at all. We're not saying to just blanket punish people for the sins of a few, we're saying to punish the people who commit the sins instead of giving them 10 different "chances" to learn. They damn well know what they did most of the time and they're just taking advantage of you.

A Good RP'er won't have a laundry list of broken rules on their admin record. There's always admin discretion when looking at a punishment. Blanket bans are a key to kill the server anyways. However, someone who repeatedly breaks rules and continues to get "chances", should be booted off the server. Period. Some of the shit people do on this server should get them more than an ajail and it's a continued and repeated behavior to see those people get off after an apology and a few suck up messages between the Admin and the offender. I don't fault admins directly because you're just following the standards set by the server. I feel there are those who are worried about losing people instead of properly punishing the offenders who deserve punishment.

"We're a teaching server"

"Maybe they didn't know about that rule"

"Oh they've only broken a rule in each section once, so we'll give them more chances."

I've seen it all. It's ridiculous. We're not a teaching server. It's a whitelist server with an extensive application to get in. People should be expected to know the rules before they start playing.

Edited by Wiphyz
  • Upvote 2

I think a big part of the problem is the endless reporting culture we have. 
Something didnt go your way in RP? Report.
Didn't like admin's decision? Staff report.
No matter how minor the slight, it's a report. Then the people who actually have valid reason to report people don't want to because the system is slugged down by a bunch of things that are petty.

12 minutes ago, Wiphyz said:

We're not saying to just blanket punish people for the sins of a few

I'm going to help debunk this further, by pointing out that blanket punishments wouldn't be an issue either. They wouldn't be great, but whoever's telling you that more severe punishments is going to 'kiLl tHe sErVer' is straight up off their rocker. Get this, I've been a member of this community for literal years, and I haven't been ajailed or banned once. After roleplaying even so much as a mugger, car thief, and firearms redistributor in such a way as to intentionally sabotage competitive criminal operations, and I don't have one single mention in the Concluded Reports section.

Even by this ridiculous standard of 'even good roleplayers will get punished if we enforce the rules' is bunk because I'm still here. You've got a walking, typing, breathing example of proof that this whole notion is wrong.

17 minutes ago, Wiphyz said:

Offer an idea to reward learning with the opportunity to be allowed a return to the community, and it's treated like a joke. We're not a teaching server, we're retaining whoever we can because of a bad formula that's sending away the quality roleplayers.

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, Wiphyz said:

"unless they do something egregious, they get a chance like everyone else...or else when a good rper makes a mistake then they're gone forever."

No, this is part of the problem. This is not true at all. We're not saying to just blanket punish people for the sins of a few, we're saying to punish the people who commit the sins instead of giving them 10 different "chances" to learn. They damn well know what they did most of the time and they're just taking advantage of you.

A Good RP'er won't have a laundry list of broken rules on their admin record. There's always admin discretion when looking at a punishment. Blanket bans are a key to kill the server anyways. However, someone who repeatedly breaks rules and continues to get "chances", should be booted off the server. Period. Some of the shit people do on this server should get them more than an ajail and it's a continued and repeated behavior to see those people get off after an apology and a few suck up messages between the Admin and the offender. I don't fault admins directly because you're just following the standards set by the server. I feel there are those who are worried about losing people instead of properly punishing the offenders who deserve punishment.

"Maybe they didn't know about that rule"

"Oh they've only broken a rule in each section once, so we'll give them more chances."

I've seen it all. It's ridiculous. We're not a teaching server. It's a whitelist server with an extensive application to get in. People should be expected to know the rules before they start playing.

Agree entirely with this, to be honest.

2 hours ago, Gore said:

I think a big part of the problem is the endless reporting culture we have. 
Something didnt go your way in RP? Report.
Didn't like admin's decision? Staff report.
No matter how minor the slight, it's a report. Then the people who actually have valid reason to report people don't want to because the system is slugged down by a bunch of things that are petty.

Okay, then punish people who make blatantly petty reports for non-issues. I couldn't agree more that there's just too much reporting, but people should be held accountable for their rules lawyering and drama mongering just as they would be for doing anything else that harms the server's culture.

4 hours ago, Gore said:

Repeated offenses, hacking, ban evading....
Idk, I can't give a firm answer, it's case by case. Honestly I think we're a lot harsher with punishments than I've seen in the past.

In 2019-2020, people did not receive warnings. They received an automatic ajail for their first-time offense. A second repetition would lead to a permanent ban with the ability to appeal, which took weeks. We've been too lenient towards lower-quality RP on this server, as of recently.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
1 hour ago, DLimit said:

In 2019-2020, people did not receive warnings.

We need those days back then.

Sounds harsh, but I'm sick of having roleplay scenes and my desire to roleplay for an entire evening ruined by players who end up getting nothing but a slap on the wrist.

Edited by Xantholic
  • Upvote 1

Temporary short bans are still more effective than an admin jail, ban them for a day even if it's a light offense, they'll quickly learn the hard way. As I said above having to afk inside a jail for a period of time does not teach anyone anything. When you parents told you to go to your room or sit in the corner, did you REALLY learn? Did that actually work? It sure didn;'t for me, the same for ajail. 

You could ban someone for 8-12-24-36-48 hours. Most effective way, otherwise you get out of the jail like nothing happened. What's 90 minutes if you can play the whole day? 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Wiphyz said:

Lol. I’ve had admin scenes that led to nothing involving players who can’t write or comprehend English at a functional level. Players who are so dysfunctional they’re destructive to everyone around them, regardless of what environment they’re put into. When you report them you’re told to “take it to the forums”, no thank you. “But you have to report it!” Yeah, no. I’ll report something in game but that’s the extend of it. I shouldn’t have to write a whole report for someone who shouldn’t even have passed the application stage. Even if I was to report it nothing would happen. At best they’d get admin jailed, but it’s not like they’re gonna emerge back onto the server better for it. If anything they’ll just be even more obnoxious and troll the group that reported them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1