Vehicle Mileage, Damage, & Maintenance

iAMTemple

5 minutes ago, Havana said:

sometimes in the middle of the night when the player count drops to (or below) 20, it's pretty hard to find a mechanic on duty who's working at an open garage for more than 10 minutes.

Thank you for bringing that up. I'm actually going to edit and think of a system which you can maintenance your car yourself by buying parts through the tool shops.

5 minutes ago, Havana said:

That being said, the map is big, but it's not big enough to need constant service. A vehicle wouldn't be worn down from driving a measly 50-300 miles, either. Even 3,000 miles would only warrant an oil change - maybe. Most cars can go 6,000 on full synthetic, if we're going for realism.

Being the map isn't that big, it gives a good balance (not as much maintenance needed constantly).

& Thank you on your thoughts regarding the service miles, I will also re-write.

I get that everything is scaled down so that you'd actually need service from the 10-20 minutes you might drive in game every day, but it'd be a hard balancing act.

In general, this would be something I think the developers would need to sort out. When it comes to math.. I'm not the guy. Lol.

Edited by AnthoyDebowe
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, AnthoyDebowe said:

Congrats, you made an "I'm American and you're not" assumption to an American. I applaud.
Yes, owning a vehicle is not 100% accurate to real life in my suggestion, but this is also a game and a server with it's own economy.

And if you don't know the expenses of owning a car, then I either assume you're 14 and still live with your parents, or you don't own a car. The fees, maintenance, insurance, and other factors also depend on the state you live in. In my case, Florida, has the shittiest drivers on earth.. Soo.

& Thank you guys for the suggestions! I will edit the thread within the coming days.

I said all I came to say about the system. You went ad hominem about it, which I expected. No problem. So I guess now I'll address you.

I've owned several vehicles, most of them Jeeps. I know expenses. Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket, and I have....several times.

And no, I didn't make an assumption you weren't American. I pointed out that I was. Which is in turn why I am against road taxes and all of that. Don't make assumptions yourself.
Fees? You must mean vehicle registration and inspection. Once a year fee. Not even close to what we pay here.

Insurance. Once a month fee, or you can pay advance for the full policy. Either or. It's nothing compared to what we pay here where you are basically penalized more for playing over time. Goes back to that money sink thing I was talking about.

Maintenance? Come on. We're not replacing tires, fluids, and belts every week. You know that, or maybe you don't. I can't assume any common sense at this point.

But what you're asking for, now I'll just say it, it's bad. We sink enough money into vehicles as is anyways. I don't feel like we should be forced to deal with even more money sinking so some mechanic who only cares about getting money half asses through another round of RP like they do the other stuff. Yes we have an economy where a drink at a bar is 100 dollars, where pistols are out sight expensive for god knows what reason, where you have to pay 200-400 dollars to get through the door at a club, and changing the headlights on my vehicle is also several thousand dollars. Why would anyone stand with a system that just increases that?

• Upvote 1

Again we have come to the same problem as we had on "Eat to Survive" thread. Everybody is arguing against the points on OP's post without trying to offer any solution to it.

I'm not 100% with the OP but the idea is great. Maybe the car just can have an odometer that can be used to determine its age and after every 10000-20000 miles the car needs a checkup(Something rather simple). If you miss the checkup then there is a raised change for the car breakdown at some point.

Il address some of the main concerns :

1. When it happens your car breaks down on the middle of the night with no mechanics online then you can use one of the other ten cars you own.

2. Car themed RP is not niche, its a top RP source in every GTA related servers.

8 hours ago, Scorgasmic said:

I think I agree with this.

I'm sure most of us know about a similar system being used on another server on the famous SA-MP platform. If it can go so in-depth as one of the options in the OP to start listing specific parts that need to be repaired and so on, that's all well and good but it doesn't necessarily need to. The system can be nice and simple somewhat like the percentage option, allowing for creative roleplay and to let players have an open mind while also still helping with the - in my opinion - really flawed prices on the used car market.

So, the service intervals I think are a nice touch. If the scripting team so decides, the interval can vary between vehicle types. If you start going over service intervals, if it's possible to script degradation in performance, engine misfires/stalling or maybe even suspension noise (such as the sound effect after your car lands from being airborne) to replicate faulty parts, all the better. I like the idea of the CEL that someone mentioned. That could be a little icon as part of the UI that pops up once the script kicks in and affects the vehicle's performance. Or it could vary and be random between CEL and ABS to give some variety. ABS light can signify speed sensor which can also affect performance. Not needed but just an idea. And once you've gotten your vehicle serviced, it functions 100% again, light goes off or disappears.

I also agree with if you constantly don't look after the vehicle, then it will eventually no longer start. Now, this might take some tweaking to the insurance system as well, but I wish you'd be able to choose whether you want to claim through insurance or if you're well off enough, foot the bill to repair your vehicle and get it running again. It would also be nice if you had the option to tow it back to your place of residence or something if you're not sure of what to do yet. Obviously though, once it gets towed there you still can't drive it.

Now as for visual damage and the whole /vpark thing. It's been discussed before about mechanic shops needing to be open and so on, and in the quieter hours they're not. And that is a very valid point. While it would add roleplay possibilities for genuine accidents to get their vehicles repaired, there's also the issue of when your vehicle gets damaged in an OOC matter. Lag, controller malfunctions, cat walks over the keyboard, you press the wrong button by accident, you were forced to spawn your vehicle on top of another and so on. If /vpark gets removed, it would be nice to be able to at least do a visual repair at any shop regardless of if an employee is on duty. And then if any shop has an employee on duty, then basically it's like the old script, and if you want to repair you have to go to the opened shop otherwise it won't work elsewhere.

And the mileage, I agree would be nice. So I always roleplay doing a test drive when I buy a vehicle from someone. So, on top of being able to see the CEL and/or ABS (if scripted in the UI or at all) you would also be able to see the mileage. So, between how the vehicle actually drives and those indications, it should make for a good starting ground when negotiating. And of-course over time, the player base will inevitably end up creating an unspoken pricing on different vehicles based on modifications and their condition.

So, TL;DR:

Mileage: Yes

Service Intervals: In a simplified form, possibly with different interval lengths based on vehicle class. After going over intervals, the vehicle's performance worsens. Dashboard warning lights in the UI would be a nice touch, especially so for potential buyers. Also, the option to choose whether to scrap the car through insurance or keep it and pay the bill out of pocket to get it running again.

Visual Damage: Should be repairable at any garage if one is not open with an employee. If at least one garage is open, then you must go there to repair as you will not be able to at any other garage that is closed.

Listen to this guy, he gets it.

Here is a suggested maintenance damage sequence:

3000 Miles: Vehicle begins to sway (or pull) to a side.

5000 Miles: Vehicle begins to misfire and start losing speed/acceleration (Not by much).

6500 Miles: Vehicle begins to misfire and starts losing speed/acceleration dramatically.

7500 Miles: Vehicle begins to have random shutoffs due to lack of oil and cooling.

8000 Miles: Engine damage starts to set in at 35% per 20 miles driven.

My car is on 122,000 miles. I bought it when it was on 100,000 miles. I've never had any of these problems and I haven't took it to the garage once ? 

19 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Not even close to what we pay here.

A lot of people forget this is a GAME. In real life, would anybody pay $1500 for a duffle bag? Or $5000 for a mask? The prices arent meant to reflect real life, it reflects the server's economy.

Edited by AnthoyDebowe
  • Upvote 1
On 1/26/2019 at 3:52 PM, Tr1bal said:

This would FORCE people to interact more with each other and not just with their friends or in places that they want to be. Mechanics can actually charge real money for fixing real problems apart from tuning cars.

I double this.

As I said as well, this will open new opportunities and whatnot. People will be more careful before purchasing their 'dream' car, is it worth it to buy it from a dealership as a new brand or just go ahead and buy a second one?  cheaper but in a deteroited condition? or with an upgrade ? This will take vehicles trading to a completely new level nobody has ever came across on any other Roleplay community before. At least, I have not.

• Upvote 1
On 1/26/2019 at 3:52 PM, Tr1bal said:

(You can even imagine the public transportation you know, so there wouldn't be too much details and such).

My favourite line in this comment.

But yeah lets just have it, I'd also like to see cars based off of older models be effected more, this would give them a reasonable reason to be cheaper rather than either 10x the price of newer cars or just at a stupid prices in general. I mean for an old random 4 door rusty car it shouldn't cost 90,000 from a Dealership and if you are worried that these cheaper cars are just going to be upgraded, making upgrading more expensive -> problem solved!

The only real issue I see is that different cars would need different services depending on mileage.

A Japanese hatchback and an Italian sports coupe require drastically different services and drastically different knowledge about cars.

Whilst a Civic from the '90s is basically bulletproof and can survive 10,000 miles without service easily, not the same can be said for a modern-day  Maserati. Whilst servicing a '90s Honda is something most people can do, most modern cars are completely different where in some cases you need to remove almost the entire front of the car to change a battery.  

Plus, what happens when your car reaches something like 40,000 - 50,000 miles, would the cambelt snap? Or does your cambelt also get switched every time you to get your oil changed?

I'm kinda on the fence on this one, it would add some neat features, but if not added properly it would just be another annoyance.

Edited by Lmao