Vehicle Mileage, Damage, & Maintenance

iAMTemple

Short description:

A system that would give vehicles monetary value based on their mileage and condition. The system can also introduce maintenance where the player would have to take care of their car or it'll start to break down and turn off, etc. This can bring a huge market shift for used cars, adding actual value to vehicles and forcing players to drive more carefully. This will once and for all get rid of the /vpark & /vget (or /respawn) in order for players to fix their vehicles. In addition, this can add good use to insurances and tow-truck services, opening up a huge range of roleplay possibilities.

Detailed description:

The system would consist of 3 core values: Mileage, Damage, Maintenance

1) Mileage

This variant will have effects on both player decision and vehicle cores. As in real life, when a car reaches certain mileage, the price goes down depending on the condition. This is totally up to the players themselves to come up with a price that they think is fair. Naturally as the car gains mileage, the parts begin to deteriorate and performance goes down. The mileage of the vehicle will be determined by the mileage driven around the map (duh..). Maintenance will be required per-said miles driven to prevent further damage to the vehicle.

To display the mileage (aside the maintenance), an odometer should be read either through /vstats or /odo.

In this case, I think /vstats or /odo should be made public to anyone who enters a vehicle.

This will make it easy for mechanics and buyers to look at the specs of the vehicles.

If not, a command that will let you show others your vehicle stats: /vshowstats

2) Maintenance

Regular maintenance would be required to keep the vehicle running smoothly. Maintenance can be done by a mechanic at a shop. To not over-complicate the system, one maintenance job can be done per-said miles instead of having multiple (oil, filter, etc.). This however, can be roleplayed. As to how much maintenance a vehicle would need, I'd say 3000 miles would be reasonable before the vehicle start seeing visible collateral damage. After the first 3000 miles, the vehicle will start to display signs of wear & tear. Once maintenance is done, the vehicle should be restored and the maintenance meter would be reset. This would work similar to the taxation system.

Here is a suggested maintenance damage sequence:

3000 Miles: Vehicle begins to sway (or pull) to a side.

5000 Miles: Vehicle begins to misfire and start losing speed/acceleration (Not by much).

6500 Miles: Vehicle begins to misfire and starts losing speed/acceleration dramatically.

7500 Miles: Vehicle begins to have random shutoffs due to lack of oil and cooling.

8000 Miles: Engine damage starts to set in at 35% per 20 miles driven.

Pricing tier for garages (not including labor):

3000 Miles: $500

5000 Miles: $1000

6500 Miles: $2000

7500 Miles: $3500

8000 Miles: $6000

If there are any suggestions on pricing, I will would love everyone's opinions.

3) Damage

So here we are. Damage. Generally put, this can be based on either a percentage system and/or per part system. I'd vision that using parts to display and portray vehicle damage would work similar to how the weapon & hit point system work.

3.1) If going for the per part system, here is a list of parts that I recommend that could affect how the car handles and performs, adding the overall percentage:

a) Tires: Deteriorate overtime naturally with use. Reduced speed and acceleration.

b) Axle/Suspension: If the car goes over a bump too hard or gets in an accident, this would make the car pull left or right.

c) Engine/Transmission: If the car gets in a huge accident or anything hits the engine block or area, it could potentially reflect major damage and the vehicle could either stall, keep turning off, or not turn on at all.

3.1.2) If going for a single percentage system, here is a sequence that I recommend for damage collateral: *From 100% health to 0% health *

a) 99-91% - Nothing.

b) 90-75% - Vehicle begins to pull to the side.

c) 75-40% - Vehicle randomly begins to shut down.

d) 39-8% - Vehicle shuts down more frequently and takes longer to start back up.

e) 7-0% - Vehicle is basically not drive-able and will have to be towed and/or restored by a mechanic.

3.2) Pricing:

The pricing should depend on the percentage value and would not include the mechanic's labor.

a) Tier 1 - 99-91% - $100

b) Tier 2 - 90-75% - $500

c) Tier 3 - 75-40% - $900

d) Tier 4 - 39-8% - $1500

e) Tier 5 - 7-0% - $3000

3.3) Insurance:

To make use of the current insurance system, players should be able to have their cars fixed by insurance after paying a deductible of 30% based on the tier needed. I am working on an idea to expand the insurance system so players would be able to choose packages, etc.

Commands to add:

/odo - Reads the odometer

/vshowstats [id] - Shows the stats of the vehicle to the designated player (Must be in driver seat & owner of the vehicle)

/vdamage - Shows the damage modifier(s) and details of the vehicle the player is in (Must be in driver seat)

Items to add:

Odometer next to the MPH counter on User Interface

Odometer on /vstats

Maintenance Due on /vstats

Notification when maintenance is due within 500 miles

Notification when maintenance is overdue

Damage Percentage on User Interface (Optional)

How would your suggestion improve the server?

1) It will add dependability to the mechanic shops by forcing players to fix their vehicles

2) It will relieve the server of bad and/or non/rp via /vrespawn or /vpark to fix their vehicles

3) It will create job opportunities for tow truck drivers and similar careers

4) It will compliment the insurance system and static object placement in the server

5) Players will think twice about driving recklessly, which this will now add consequence

6) Improves realism and quality of the server

7) /vshowstats makes it easier to sell/show a vehicle

Additional information:

Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated to improve this idea.

Edited by AnthoyDebowe
Finished Thread
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

This is amazing and well detailed, will definitely get vehicles treding to a complete new level !!! being required to change the engine and other vehicle parts will now have an effective purpose over your driving expierience or in case you want to sell the car, people will be more careful before buying them as they could end up with a scrap of metal even tho' it looks good.

This should happen asap.

Edited by Darius94
5 minutes ago, Darius94 said:

This is amazing and well detailed, will definitely get vehicles treding to a complete new level !!! being required to change the engine and other vehicle parts will now have an effective purpose over your driving expierience or in case you want to sell the car, people will be more careful before buying them as they could end up with a scrap of metal even tho' it looks good.

This should happen asap.

Haha thanks man!

You should've seen my deep sea fishing suggestion before the forums went down last year. ?

I like the idea but I think how dramatically cars go downhill is inaccurate. A car with 500k kms may still perform better than one with 250k kms due to having been looked after more frequently and not being neglected. If you don't want your car to degrade you should be taking constant care of it, and if you don't the issues snowball. For example a simple warning may come up reminding you that your car is due for its routine maintenance. If you leave that for too long a check engine light system may be put in place, where when it comes on it pays to take it in for repairs. And if you leave this light on for too long then the vehicle starts to show the signs you talked about (failing to start, engine cutting out etc) and will ultimately end in the vehicle unable to move under it's own power and needing to be towed for repairs. 

I'd personally love more actual mechanic roleplay than just the "upgrade everything and paint it red" rp we currently get and support having some sort of service intervals. However I don't think players should be penalised for driving around the map if they are to keep on top of their vehicles and do regular servicing. Even if it's a simple command a mechanic does to service it and we don't have to do a full on diagnostic repair, I'd love to at least do some more maintenance work on client vehicles, and I think that should be the main focus rather than just getting people to throw out their cars after a while.

EDIT: Additionally an idea for the price of maintenance may be something like 2% of the vehicle value, and if damaged this value goes up by X%.

Edited by Conway

First of all, I think this is a fantastic suggestion! I really admire and appreciate the thought and detail put into this.

I can see how this would appeal to normal Mechanics and Mechanic Businesses. From my perspective however, I'm thinking of how this would affect emergency vehicles. Because obviously this suggestion would to apply to all land vehicles if implemented.

As someone who is starting a faction that maintains and repairs emergency vehicles, I think this would bring about a more interesting and detailed RP experience for our faction, which is great! It would give us more definitive information about a vehicle's current condition and what to RP repairing or replacing specifically.

Currently the way we've designed maintaining emergency vehicles in our faction is through the standard FLOWER checks. Which would still work when RPing maintenance with the functionality of your suggestion, so RPing vehicle maintenance wouldn't change that much for us. However we would be able to determine which checks fail based on the mileage feature in your suggestion, which would be pretty neat.

As for repairing damage, maybe a combination of the parts and percentage systems could be an option? So the percentage determines what parts of the vehicle are damaged. Also, whatever the percentage is could inherit any damages above it. For example if the vehicle is 75-40% damaged, it would have damaged tires as well as axle/suspension.

Damage

a) 99-91% damaged = Fully Operational: Vehicle is in full working order with no technical damage. (Minor cosmetic damages could count in this tier.)

b) 90-75% damaged = Tires: The vehicle's tires would deteriorate overtime naturally with use. Reduced speed and acceleration.

c) 75-40% damaged = Axle/Suspension: If the vehicle goes over a bump too hard or gets in a mild accident, the axle/suspension would be damaged. This would cause the vehicle to pull left or right every so often.

d) 39-8% damaged = Engine/Transmission: If the car gets in a huge accident or anything hits the engine block area, it could potentially reflect major damage and the vehicle could either stall, keep turning off, or not turn on at all. The vehicle would shut down more frequently and take longer to start back up.

e) 7-0% damaged = Destroyed: The vehicle would be damaged beyond repair and not operational. It would have to be towed by a mechanic and would have to be replaced. (This could be why insurance is majorly important.)

In terms of the pricing, I agree with @Conway. The prices should be based on a percentage of the vehicle's value as every vehicle is different. It's logical to assume that more expensive vehicles would cost more to maintain/repair due to expensive parts, resources, etc.

For maintenance, each mileage tier multiplies by 2 and adds 1 in this example.

Maintenance

a) 3000 Miles = 0.5% of the vehicle's value.

b) 5000 Miles = 0.11% of the vehicle's value.

c) 6500 Miles = 0.23% of the vehicle's value.

d) 7500 Miles = 0.47% of the vehicle's value.

e) 8000 Miles = 0.94% of the vehicle's value.

For repairs, each damage tier also multiplies by 2 and adds 1 in this example.

Repairs

a) 99-91% damaged = 1% of the vehicle's value.

b) 90-75% damaged = 3% of the vehicle's value.

c) 75-40% damaged = 7% of the vehicle's value.

d) 39-8% damaged = 15% of the vehicle's value.

e) 7-0% damaged = 31% of the vehicle's value.

Overall, I think it's a fantastic idea! And if it comes to fruition, I would happily implement it into how our own faction would RP repairs and maintenance on emergency vehicles.

Replacing fixed values to percentages makes this pretty much perfect. What has to be tested though is how easy / hard it's to get such a milleage on your car in GTA V world for balancing purposes.

Overall the idea is awesome and there should be a real depreciation to used vehicles other than we have right now.

Just now, PandaGaming said:

It's actually a nice suggestion but it's like a TOO MUCH for me... I don't know why but I prefer the current state or even just add miles and such.

I'm with you on this one. I get the whole point of wanting realism, but at some point we just need to take a step back and realize that some of the things suggested simply adds realism for the sake of realism, without actually providing much interesting roleplay out of it.

Sure, it would give the mechanics more to do. But for the normal player, this would just mean even more of a headache, getting in the way of actually being able to tell interesting stories with our characters.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

Different people find different things to be interesting. If you wanna tell people stories and don't wanna stress your head with cars then you could always use the public transportation(You can even imagine the public transportation you know, so there wouldn't be too much details and such).

There have been many similar threads and they either got deleted with the rollback, forwarded without any further feedback on the development or just forgotten. Anyhow, I have said it and I am saying it again : we need the cars to be RP'ed more realistically and this is a right way. This would FORCE people to interact more with each other and not just with their friends or in places that they want to be. Mechanics can actually charge real money for fixing real problems apart from tuning cars.