Bar Roleplay & Scripted Items

Griz

This topic is dangerous, but the OP has a more than valid point....

The fact is that we are, as @Smilesville stated, provided with a wide range of alcoholic items that are SUPPOSED to source a substancial amount of RP to the breweries and distribution companies that supply them... These items are SUPPOSED to be the resource or consumable that is required to run a bar, club, or venue that serves alcohol...

By saying "You don't NEED to be given the item" is like saying (This is a funny quote from someone I was just talking to) "Walking into a twenty four seven and purchasing a $2000 duffle bag, only to be told by an admin your not entitled to actuall receiving that item because your Rp'd it as a Lui bag"

So, it appears that some people cant fathom giving that player a whiskey, or a vodka item in place of the Mai-Tai, to legitimize a SCRIPT suggested transaction....

Sadly, this is why almost every resource in the game, from aluminum ore, to car parts, to liquor and wine virtually has no value in the realm of business.... Do we have bars that give an item for each drink? Yes... but I as well have been given NOTHING, even when I order a Whiskey sour.... and told that "They don't have the item... 

Since arriving at GTAW I've seen tons of pretty cool systems.... But their all fluff. None of them actually require interconnected roles (As It appears they were intended in essence, but application ruined that)........ We have ore, yet we charge only 200 (30 mins of RP) for a house that takes 10+ hours to build plus an additon 200k+ in money that just gets dumped back into the script..... I mean? Is this methodical? No... It isn't. All of these things could easily have reliable RP paths behind them, but their is no push to actually use the items for what they were intended to be.... 

THE BIGGEST THING IS.... Their is no rules outlining that you can sell imaginary items without pairing with a tangible item (specifically pertaining to wine & spirits) ... even though you have items that you COULD be using in its place...... And their is no rule saying that we "Pay for rp" when you feel like you don't need to actually give me a Vodka just because I ordered a Vodka and cranberry.... I am sorry, but if you have access to liquor items, and you just completely bypass that... your power gaming... And your stealing RP from those busting their ass to build a brewing company to supply YOUR business.

While we keep adding additions to such systems, we are leaving the already implemented scripts that are broken in terms of economic functionality.

By not enforcing the use of an item (Even if its the next best thing) in bar RP, your only killing the brewery companies even my by making their products even less valuable... By enforcing the use of the aforementioned items, your only empowering the use of brewery's and their TANGIBLE products.

"Here is a whole system for booze items, but if you order a whiskey with a splash of cola you don't need to use any of the items"... Like? Wtf?

Edited by Zane_Field
  • Upvote 1

I think the easy solution is that if they don't give you a scripted item, you don't have to pay them. As a business owner if I don't have the scripted Item I don't charge them for the drink. People already pay an entry fee and the business owner makes most of their money from the incentive. I don't see why you should have to pay for an item with IG currency if you're not being given an in game item. Doesn't have to be exact to the drink. 

The items are there for a reason. It's not fair for some business owners to have to put the time, money and effort to track down alcohol while others don't.

If there is no item, fine, but if there is one in game, it SHOULD be used. 

Edited by pixel

I like the discussion. I personally understand and completely acknowledge that we should not have to role play EVERY single item, like a MacBook Pro or a mai tai. However, aside from the example I provided... If the item is available in-game, I believe it should be a thing where a quid pro quo transaction shall be necessary. If you run a bar, and I buy a drink, you should give me some sort of item (BECAUSE they’re available as a scripted item). Otherwise, you simply have an endless cash pool with absolutely no overhead expenses. 

Nervous, I respect and see your point of view as well. However, I must add that the business me and a few others run DO have to invest in items that the script provides. That is one point of my concern. The items available, as it stands, all serve a purpose. Here at GTAW, we focus quite a bit on businesses and items that help them and the customers succeed and enjoy their time. My point of this discussion was to pose a simple question: Why create these items if they aren’t going to be used? 

Example: We buy wheat, sugar, water, yeast, and more so that we can brew beer. We take the time to brew it, move it, and distribute it. Why, then, should a bar be able to role play selling drinks if they’re not going to go out and buy them first? That’s what doesn’t make sense to me. I might be wrong in my findings about multiple bars doing this. But, since the import / export script left, I can only reasonably assume this to be the case. 

I don’t want this post to do any harm whatsoever! I am a huge fan and avid player here at GTAW, and I would never want to cause controversy. 

Thanks everyone for your input! 

Buy that tai tai and let the bartender give you any scripted alcohol item. Problem solved. I would not mind when the alcohols would not even have names but rather levels from 1 to 3. Only thing I actually need a scripted alcohol is that it gives me the actual blood alcohol level that police can check.