Bar Roleplay & Scripted Items

Griz

Friends,

When I visited a bar in-game, I asked for a tropical drink (mai tai). The bar tender made it and then served it to me. I then paid money for that drink. However, when I inquired through PM's whether or not I would receive an item, this was the individual's reply.. 

c050077f5f.jpg

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, but I feel as though this is a form of powergame. I say this because we are offered a plethora of scripted, alcoholic items. Whiskey, beer, wine, moonshine, vodka, etc. While there is no particular item titled "mai tai", we all tend to be creative by use of these items. Those of us who operate bars, clubs, and lounges (hopefully) make use of what we have. We know that it would be sub-par to not give other players items that they've paid for. I want to open the discussion for a couple different reasons. Firstly, we are afforded these items as a way to operate a successful business. Secondly, if bar owners or bartenders aren't making use of these items, it makes rule-abiding bar owners more susceptible to failure due to the fact that we actually put time and effort into acquiring such items. The import / export script was removed so that people would be more creative in the ways they made these scripted items profitable. Because of this, I feel that some have gotten lazy and just simply expect players to not notice or care. All the while, other businesses are balancing their pocketbooks accordingly and investing in these items with time and IC money.

So, I ask you all... Is it fair that others slide by the rules while the rest of us play by them? Are we not afforded enough scripted items? (I believe we are, by the way) I know it's a small topic among much bigger things, but at the end of the day, it's a discussion more than anything. Let me know what you think! 

Edited by Griz

I agree with you and I have concerns about the future if this progresses. Our hard working developers put in the time to bring Brewing to life. You're right that right now we have those who do thorough RP, get the license, buy the material and make their drinks, or find suppliers who can provide the drinks directly. For those who skip that entirely and just RP having drinks is definitely, in my opinion a form of power gaming and cheating the system.

That is the current concern, the future concern is players noticing that bar owners are doing this short cut and becoming frustrated as to why do they have to put the time, effort and money in when others don't? Leading to less and less people appreciating the brewing script and leading to an entire server that merely Roleplays drinks and food. Leaving our Brewing script to get washed up and left for dead. 

As someone who enjoys and uses the brewing script, and put time and energy into getting the license and resources, it's a shame to see that merely RPing it is an acceptable alternative. 

I know in advance that your thread will make lot of people angry here, because no, paying $50 does not entitle you to receive an item and it's very common to pay bartenders even more than that to "roleplay" with them.

However, bars have lot of drinks available to them from alcohol suppliers, or from brewers.

But they have never been required to "give you an item" and especially for $50, this is a strict roleplay server not an RPG where you use money to get items.

Now, with the new trucking system being prepared we are going to give way more abilities for restaurants / bars etc to provide items (foods, drinks) as this will all be in the trucking supply chain.

And no, there is no businesses actually investing anything in items at the moment. All other business types just received "components" which cost almost nothing and can produce the script directly. Hence why the trucking system was needed.

I'm struggling to understand the point here. Are you saying that unless an item is scripted, it shouldn't be recognized in roleplay?

Because if that is the case, the world suddenly got very small, and the power of imagination (within realistic boundaries, of course) vanished completely, and that is a pretty interesting case to make in this imaginary world we're all playing in.

Just now, KFN said:

The reason this happens is because we can't exactly have a pre-made item for every single fricking drink under the sun- Especially cocktails 

And I can sympathize with that. If you want to RP a vodka item as a screwdriver, that's fine - but we have enough mechanical items to cover all our bases in this regard, don't we? A Mai Tai is based on rum; just hand the dude some rum and call it a Mai Tai.

However, if you don't want to use scripted items? That's fine - I won't hand you scripted cash.

• Upvote 2
Just now, Smilesville said:

And I can sympathize with that. If you want to RP a vodka item as a screwdriver, that's fine - but we have enough mechanical items to cover all our bases in this regard, don't we? A Mai Tai is based on rum; just hand the dude some rum and call it a Mai Tai.

However, if you don't want to use scripted items? That's fine - I won't hand you scripted cash.

Bit odd but I can agree with throwing rum in the direction of the person buying-> I don't really mind though its personal preference I suppose?

31 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

I'm struggling to understand the point here. Are you saying that unless an item is scripted, it shouldn't be recognized in roleplay?

Because if that is the case, the world suddenly got very small, and the power of imagination (within realistic boundaries, of course) vanished completely, and that is a pretty interesting case to make in this imaginary world we're all playing in.

Whats being said here is, what is the point of having the items in game, the alcohol system, brewers, liquor stores and the like if people are just going to bypass the in game items completely and just RP giving out drinks for cash.

• Upvote 1